Poll for Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning

Which best describes what you think of Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes what you think of Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning?

• Eh, it was watchable.
    • I'd rather watch Strange Visitor to Hazzard.
    • I liked it, but I like the original series better.
    • I absolutely hated it!
    • It had redeeming qualities, but it mostly sucked.
    • I absolutely loved it!
    • I liked it.
    • I'd rather watch a Coy and Vance episode.
    • Not enough General Lee action!
    • If it didn't have so many "adult" situations, it would have been great!

At least they smashed up a few cop cars, which scores points with me.

But yeah, there were a lot of pointless innuendo scenes ( like the ones with Lulu) and not nearly enough car chases.

If they took the cast from this latest effort, and combined them with the stunts from the 2005 movie, they'd have something. Give or take a navel shot.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with both of you, needed more General scenes. on a side note cowee, I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now..........Doom doom doom...

Hey Mosy Duke, can I go for a ride in your General. I like and my dad and my brothers like as well. In fact my younger brother liked it better than the 2005 versions.

I think denver pyle would be turning in his grave.uncle jesse would never tell stupid jokes that willie nelson told. neither of the two movies have the family values the original show had or fighting the system. nun of the cast resemble the original cast and to much moonshine in the second movie its understandable its the begining but jesse took and oath with the us of a goverment not to make moonshine if anybody remembers. I have all seven seasons and aquirring the two reunion movies and i have both new movies watch all seven seasons over and over and i just don't think the new movies stand up to the series the only good things about the movies are the general lees oh and the dukes never got the general out of a river. they got it at the scrap yard and already had the engine in the barn.

What did they get wrong? Let's not get me started, fellow Hazzardites.

1) Plot innaccuracies- Luke and Bo were RAISED by Uncle Jesse from a young age after their parents died, not thrown into his care as teenagers.

2) I think the skinny Lulu was for spite by WB, I really do.

3) WAAAAAY too much innuendo (and NuLulu, yikes)

4) The General's paintjob. I can get the whole "named after generals" thing, but the 01 wasn't just Bo's favorite number, it stood for something: start out with nothing and you'll always end up number one. About the only thing I can understand would be making up an excuse for the orange paint job.

Originally said by Ben Jones as Cooter:

Sorry, boys. All I have's orange.

But they didn't, not that I expected it.

5) The return of one-liner spittin' Uncle Jesse. Willie, you're a funny guy, I love your songs, I think you and the others in the Highwaymen were great, but you're no Denver Pyle. He was a patriarch, you're, well, just something else, nothing bad (in my opinion), just not Uncle Jesse.

I personally think they should have tried taking the origin in "Happy Birthday, General Lee!" and building on that, but who ever knew WB to exercise common sense? About the only improvement to this movie are the actors, but the really need to consider a short and fat Boss for the next movie, not Tall and Skinny, he wasn't originally played by Wilt Chamberlin.

The real Uncle Jesse wouldn't have made it through the first ten minutes of this movie without turning it off, throwing it in the garbage, and slipping in a DVD of his real kinfolk. That's because he cares about the integrity and reputation of his community and family. That's what Hazzard County is all about. I can't figure out what this new movie is all about but I know it's not about The Dukes of Hazzard.

• 4 weeks later...
did any one notice when they pulled the car from the water it all ready had the flag on the top but when they first pulled from the garage it didn't

Ya, I did notice where does Rebel flag's go from the tops of cars. I found out that Dixie was written by a Yankee and the fight song the Yankees was written by a southern.

The ONLY things I liked about this thing were the General Lee; the naked girls and Dukes Boys Swingin' by Cowboy Troy.

This time, they turned Bo and Luke into two of the biggest morons I've ever seen in my life! I'd like to see Wopat and Schneider's Dukes beat the stew out Randy Wayne and Jonathon Bennett's Dukes...then, have the Knoxville/Scott Dukes chain them to the bumper of the General Lee and jump/ski/drift them...

I will admit, my jaw dropped when I saw Sherilyn Fenn as Lulu. And I instantly thought of her in Meridian: Kiss of the Beast

Umm....I know that I'm gonna get blasted for this....but a lot of people need to get a grip. Plot inaccuracies? There were none. End of story. Hate to say it, but "The Beginning" is not the original show. It's a remake. It's what some might call a retcon, meaning they completely disregard anything that was set before, and tell the story their own way. It happens all the time in comic book series, like Superman, or Spiderman, when they just decide to retell the original events. For example, the original Superman (back in Action Comics) couldn't fly, he could only jump far distances, and he wasn't entirely invincible either. But how about in Superman Returns last year? I'm pretty sure he took a bullet to the eye and took Lois for a cruise in the air.

Same way with "The Beginning." If this is truly the pilot episode for a new series, like I've heard, then those people need to just understand that it's not going to be exactly like the old show. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but as far as what was wrong with the movie, we can't just say "oh, Denver Pyle's Uncle Jesse would never do those things" or "The boys don't look anything like Tom or John." and have it really mean anything, because let's face it - although it's true, IT'S NOT THE SAME SHOW. Now obviously there's going to be problems anytime a retcon happens, because people will be attached to the old version and not willing to accept some liberties that are taken with the new one. That's okay. Sometimes it takes a while to come to grips with the reality, and some may never like the new product at all. Sometimes it's for the better and sometimes it's for the worse.

But don't complain that it's not like the original show, because that's not what the purpose of the movies were. They were in tribute (however skewed that tribute may be) to the original, not trying to emulate every detail of the original. We can just be thankful that the writer of "The Beginning" thought it was appropriate to give more nods to the original than Broken Lizard did.

I'm going to say what I've heard a lot of other people say too, but now I want to clarify it differently: The original cast are done making reunion movies. They won't be making anything Dukes-related, besides appearing at Dukefest, or perhaps doing a project that has some nods to the Dukes - i.e. Collier and Co. or the Smallville episode, or another Dukes video game. Why? The reason is simple. It would never be the same. Waylon, Sorrell, and Denver are gone. They were the backbone of the entire series. Yes, everyone else held their own, but there's a hole in the Duke family, and we'll never get them back. And we'll never get the original Dukes back either.

Which is why they retconned the series and made "The Beginning." I know that it's easy to say that WB is just milking the fans of DOH for their money, and it's true, but I think there's another level to the story that's positive. Someone thought that the Dukes of Hazzard was a good enough story that kids today should be able to enjoy and relate to it. Maybe once they've seen the new one, then they'll go back and become fans of the original. Maybe not, and they never will be able to relate to a show from the 70's and 80's is for the mere reason that it IS from that long ago.

Kids today aren't as stupid as a lot of people think. Maybe I'm wrong but I was born in 88, and I consider myself one of the last of the class generation - before the techno generation. We enjoy life's little things, and we can live without technology to an extent. And I think "The Beginning" reaches out to that audience - my peers - in that it is about knowing that somewhere in America, two boys can still fight the system the way two good ol boys could some 25 years or so ago. Because it doesn't happen today. There is too much fine print. Too many unnecessary little things that used to happen all the time, that if it happened today there'd be a lawsuit or something, and we could never do it today. That's really what the Dukes of Hazzard is about, anyway, right? Celebrating the little things, and being able to do them with your family?

I'm done.

Gibbers

Okay so let me be the first blaster. Before I do, I want to say I am impressed with all the thought you have put into this. I also want to say that I am glad that the younger generation wants to see the Dukes in the spotlight with new stuff. I can only speak for myself but I think that (more so than anger) I feel sadness that so much immorality has been added to the new Dukes and the younger generation has accepted it. It makes me wonder how much more immoral the next (2027?) generation will be. "Immorality" is a difficult thing to define. Some people didn't like the original show because Daisy dressed too skimpy or there was drinking in it etc. That's a good point of which I have no defense but I guess us original viewers don't really want to see what we love corrupted and we just wish people who like that sort of humor would simply go to movies like American Pie and not change our beloved Hazzard County. If the new Dukes ever become a modern series and you fall in love with it and they change it dramatically in 25 years you'll probably understand how us old timers feel. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

Okay so let me be the first blaster. Before I do, I want to say I am impressed with all the thought you have put into this. I also want to say that I am glad that the younger generation wants to see the Dukes in the spotlight with new stuff. I can only speak for myself but I think that (more so than anger) I feel sadness that so much immorality has been added to the new Dukes and the younger generation has accepted it. It makes me wonder how much more immoral the next (2027?) generation will be. "Immorality" is a difficult thing to define. Some people didn't like the original show because Daisy dressed too skimpy or there was drinking in it etc. That's a good point of which I have no defense but I guess us original viewers don't really want to see what we love corrupted and we just wish people who like that sort of humor would simply go to movies like American Pie and not change our beloved Hazzard County. If the new Dukes ever become a modern series and you fall in love with it and they change it dramatically in 25 years you'll probably understand how us old timers feel. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

Well, just for a referance they are making a Knight Rider movie coming out in 2008 and David Hasselhoff said it won't be like the Dukes movie. And There's the Baywatch movie coming out as well, with Jessica Simpson playing C.J. Parker and she asked Pamela Anderson a really dumb question. And there making a Dallas movie so I guess hollywood is going to ruin some more really good classic televison then.

I couldn't resist this Waylon quote from the conclusion of "By-Line Daisy Duke" in season 3. It sums up how many people feel about not altering the original Dukes (like the latest movies have done) "Ain't it nice to know there's a place in this old world where things never change."

I couldn't resist this Waylon quote from the conclusion of "By-Line Daisy Duke" in season 3. It sums up how many people feel about not altering the original Dukes (like the latest movies have done) "Ain't it nice to know there's a place in this old world where things never change."

Yeah.....It's like watching paint dry.....

I'm gone

Darrell