A very bad day

i1976

A shiny day. A shiny spring day.

Enos was wearing his uniform’s shirt. His face in the mirror was very tired. The night before he fought against his worst nightmare. Did Daisy love him? There was no answer. In his nightmares Daisy was in love with another man, and she was marrying him.

The day before he had a row with Daisy about some fellas the Dukes helped to escape from prison, as usual. He shouted to Daisy that he was tired to be used by her family for their purposes, and he was tired to be treated as a puppet. He never yelled out his anger and he never said anything like that, but he was exasperated at the thousand (or pheraps million) times that Boss and Rosco accused him of incapacity. Daisy slapped him, her eyes full of anger and pain. That night, at home, Enos cried, and found rest only after two beers (something very unusual for him).

It was a shiny day, a shiny spring day. But in the deputy’s heart there was only pain; and he was feeling sick.

That morning Daisy was in a bad mood.

Bo, Luke and uncle Jesse was staring at her, worried. Daisy was thinking about Enos and his behaviour; she was angry with him; he yelled to her, and she hated him for it. But she was also sad about that fight, ‘cause they were friends from the childhood. And, above all, she knew that Enos was right; she and her family used him for their purposes many times, taking advantage of his feelings for her (feelings that everyone in Hazzard knew).

It was a shiny spring day, and the Dukes took the jeep to go in the city for some purchases.

Daisy was worried; she was thinking about Enos and her slap. How to behave with him? She hoped not to meet him.

Enos was reaching his job. He was walking in Hazzard streets, breathing deeply to clear his mind and to reduce the headache and the nausea.

He hoped to meet Daisy; he had to apologize for yelling at her. He knew he was right, but he regretted his behaviour.

Meanwhile a man was robbing Hazzard Bank, with a gun in his hand; something very easy to do without cops around.

It was still a shiny day, but soon it would have became a very bad day.

A very painful day for Enos, and a very sad day for Daisy.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The robber came out the bank; he was his first robbery, and he had tought that a little town like Hazzard would have been an easy target. He suddenly saw the cop who was walking toward him, and he thought the cop was sent to arrest him. He feared cops and he wanted to escape, so he pointed the gun at the policeman.

Enos saw the man coming out the bank, but he didn’t realize promptly what was happening; he was still thinking of Daisy. The deputy saw the gun pointed at him too late; he tried to extract his gun, but his moves were too slow ‘cause his headhache.

A shot broke the silence of that shiny spring day.

Enos felt a shooting pain in his stomach, and he fell on the ground.

The robber disappeared, meanwhile Hazzard citizens approched to the figure in uniform that laid motionless on the ground.

The Dukes, just arrived in town, saw everything. Bo, Luke and uncle Jesse ran towards their friend, but Daisy was incapable of moving, chilled with fear.

Enos saw Bo and Luke close to him, and he felt a pressure on his abdomen. He didn’t feel any pain, but he couldn’t move and the heat he felt at the beginning was now shifting in freezing cold. He could see that Bo was speaking to him, but he didn’t understand what he was saying; he felt like he was sinking in dark water.

Meanwhile Daisy was crying in Uncle Jesse arms, unable to approach and help his friend (he was still his friend?)

Bo swallowed as Enos gave no response and looked to Luke for help, but seeing his cousin looking so worried only served to panic him further.

"Luke what're we gonna do?!"

Luke snapped out of his shocked state and instantly into taking charge, seeing the fright in his baby cousins's eyes as well as the rate at which Enos was fading.

"Keep talking to him Bo, i'm gonna go get an ambulance. Listen to me, keep that pressure on there and keep him awake okay..."

Without waiting for a response, Luke dashed into the nearest building and telephoned for an ambulance while Bo concentrated on talking to Enos, desperatly trying to keep him awake.

Where’s going Luke? Enos saw the Duke running in the nearest building. Why? He tried to move, but his body didn’t react.

Bo was talking to him, and the Deputy could see the fear in his eyes.

“Enos..... take your eyes open. Com’on buddy. Try to breath slowly. Don’t move and breath slowly. The ambulance’ll arrive soon. It’s all OK. Don’t worry. Com’on, buddy, talk to me.â€

Enos was feeling like he was underwater, and everything was moving in slow-motion.

A siren and a red blinking light approached; it looked like the light of his patrol car, but the siren sound different. He understood what’s happening; the man coming out the bank......., the shot....., the pain......., the fear in Bo’s eyes,..... and now the ambulance. He understood he was dying, but he was too young to die. Moreover, he couldn’t die without apologize to Daisy. He had to live.

“Bo..... help me......; I’m so sorryâ€.

The ambulance doors closed, and the ambulance went away.

Bo’s hands were covered of blood, and he was unable to talk, shocked, as Luke.

Uncle Jesse and Daisy got next to them; they were pale, and Daisy was leaning on Uncle Jesse arm. She saw the boold covering her cousin hand’s and the blood on the ground, and she fainted. Enos gun and hat lied near it.

Bo could do nothing but watch as Enos was taken out of his arms and loaded into the amublance, driven away without a word. He stood in the middle of the road, his trembling hands out in front of him covered in his friend's blood, and all he could do was stare at the red liquid that shined like ruby's on his skin and that now had soaked into the yellow stitching of his shirt.

Luke quickly wrapped an arm around his younger cousins shoulders and led him over to the tap, washing his hands off. He was too used to the site of friend's blood for it to affect him badly, but the fact it was Enos still made him shudder. When all the blood was washed away he took off his own shirt and wrapped it around Bo, who despite the heat of the day was still shaking like a leaf in shock.

"Come on cousin....lets get to the hospital..."

He said, leading him towards General Lee and putting him in the back seat as Jesse followed carrying Daisy to the truck and setting off after the boys.

The robber was escaping with his brother, who was waiting for him in a stolen car after the robbery. “Damn... That #### cop. You said that it would have been an easy job. Do you hear me? I’ve shotted at a cop!!!! The same cop who arrested us yesterday.â€

“Shut up, John. I’ve heard the shot. Damn.Yesterday we have escaped from prison thanks to that Dukes. They’ve believed in our story: the sad story of poor guys unfairly oppressed by the law and by corrupted officers from Atlanta. Country bumpkins take as true every lie, and we are perfect liars. What a stupid familyâ€.

Meanwhile, the Dukes were going to the hospital, praying for Enos.

Suddenly, Bo remembered. “Luke. Did you see the man running away after the robbery? I’m not sure... but.... I think.... I think the robber was John, the man arrested yesterday. We helped him and his brother to escape from prison. Oh my Godâ€. Luke didn’t say a word.

The Dukes arrived to the hospital.

Enos was in operating room, and a nurse explained that their friend was in a very bad condition when he arrived there. They could only wait, maybe for several hours.

Then the nurse took care of Bo and Daisy, still in shock.

Luke talked to Uncle Jesse; he didn’t know how to say that everything had happened ‘cause their fault. Uncle Jesse listened silently to his nephew; then he sat on a chair, unable to speak.

Then Luke went after the robbers; they would have paid for their actions.

But he needed other Hazzard citizens help.

While Luke was trying to catch the robbers, Daisy, Bo and Uncle Jesse were waiting for news.

Uncle Jesse and Bo didn’t tell Daisy where Luke was, and Daisy didn’t ask anything; she slowly fell asleep ‘cause sedatives the nurse gave her.

When she woke up, she saw the surgeon approaching. “Please God. Please. Don’t take Enos away. I can’t live without him.â€

Surgeon’s face was tired, but he smiled:†Deputy Strate is alive. We have removed the shell, stopping the bleeding. Today you can see him only for few minutes. He’ll be fine, but convalescence will be long.â€

Daisy was crying, “Thank you, God. Thank youâ€

The Dukes entered the room. Under a white sheet that let his chest uncovered, Enos was unconscious. Electrodes on his chest were checking his heartbeat, while an armlet was registering his blood pressure.

Daisy stared at him, holding her breath; he seemed so pale and so unprotected. She squeezed his hand, kissing him gently on forehead.

Enos hand was much warmer than Daisy imagined, and it unknowingly squeezed her one, warming her all the way to her heart; at that time, she wished she could hold it forever.

Bo looked at his uncle; now that Enos was out of danger, it was time to catch John and his brother. Luke needed their help.

Meanwhile the Dukes were in hospital, John and his brother Daniel were trying to leave Hazzard County.

“I don’t understand why we’ve decided to become bank robbers; we are master of fraud, not simple robbers. And a fraud is less dangerous than a robbery. What a mess. I’s your fault, Daniel. And, moreover, you know that I don’t like guns. A fraud is a fair game. I don’t want to robber a bank anymoreâ€

“Oh, shut up John. You know that in Atlanta we are in danger. Our frauds have been discovered, and the police is hunting us. We have to stop temporarily our business, and we have to disappear.

“Yes. Of course. Good idea, evil genious. Now, Atlanta police is going after us not only for our frauds but also for a bank robbery; and don’t forget, genious, that a cop has been injuredâ€

“Atlanta police doesn’t know that we are responsible of a robbery here in Hazzard; furthermore, they are searching cheaters, not robbersâ€

“Do you forget why that cop has arrested us yesterday? He has understood we are cheaters; maybe Atlanta police has diffused our mug shots. And if the cop has transmitted to Atlanta police.......â€

“Hush. Maybe he hasn't transmitted anything. Maybe Atlanta police doesn’t know we are in that ### County.

The robbers didn’t know that not only Atlanta police was going after them, but also Duke family and Hazzard police.

“Where are you going, Bo? And where’s Luke?†Daisy asked. After she knew that Enos was alive and he’ll be fine, she noticed Luke’s absence.

“Luke is catching...... the guy who robbed Hazzard bank, and I’ll help him. Don’t worry, Daisy. Stay here with Uncle Jesse, you’re still upsetâ€

“Don’t tell me what I’ve to do, Bo. I’ll come with youâ€

Uncle Jesse put an hand on Daisy’s shoulder: “Daisy, Bo’s right. You’re still upset. I’ll stay here with you. Maybe Enos’ll wake upâ€

Daisy got angry: “Doctor said he’s under sedatives. Today we can see him only for few minutes, and we yet saw him. Now we can goâ€.

Uncle Jesse stared in Daisy’s eyes. Her eyes were full of tears; seeing Enos unconsciuos in that hospital bed shocked her, but she didn’t yet realize how much she was worried. “Ok, Daisy. We’ll go home, and tomorrow we’ll visit Enos again. Now, you have to take some rest. Bo’ll help Lukeâ€

“Right, cousin. You’re not able to help us right now. Try to rest a bit; doctor could give you other sedatives. Meanwhile, I’ll catch the two robbers with Lukeâ€.

Daisy remained silent, then she stared at Bo with wide eyes: “TWO? TWO robbers? How do you know that there are TWO robbers? We saw only one man going out the bank! What are you hiding from me, Bo?â€

John and Daniel heard police sirens approaching. “Damn†John sighed “What a messâ€. “Don’t worry, John.They won’t reach usâ€

In effect, Daniel was a very good driver, and Rosco and Cletus weren’t able to reach them.

Rosco pulled the receiver “Cletus. We have to catch them. They have Boss money, and they fired Enos. So, hurry upâ€. But Cletus had already literally flied on a near tree with his patrol car: “Sorry, sheriff. But I have some difficulties to go onâ€. “Enos drives better than you, Cletus. Really, everyone drives better than youâ€. Rosco was hoping that Enos would have drived again his patrol car in Hazzard streets, but the only thing that he could do at that time was to reach and arrest the robbers.

Bo reached Luke. “Hurry up, Bo. I know where they’re heading. Cletus and Rosco are following them towards Hazzard Pond. We’ll follow this street, so we’ll cut their road.â€

The cousins didn’t speak while the General Lee was racing across dusty Hazzard roads.

Luke feared what Bo could tell him. Finally he asked “Enos?â€.

“He’s alive. Badly injured but alive. Doctor said he’ll recover. Now he’s unconsciousâ€

“Daisy?â€

“She’s at home. She’s upset; doctor gave her sedatives so she’ll sleep a bit. She suspects we’re hiding something to her. She didn’t still realize that John and Daniel are guilties, but she knows we’re catching TWO robbersâ€

“Actually, it’s better we don’t tell her anything. She blames herself for yesterday fight with Enos, and if she knows she helped robbers who injured him......... I can’t imagine how she’ll reactâ€

“And how we’re reacting, Luke? Did you think about it?â€

“We’re chasing them. Now it’s everything we can do.â€

“Enos will forgive us?â€

Luke didn’t answer.

John watched in the rearview mirror. “Hey brother. Now there is only one police car that is trying to reach us, but there’s also the Dukes orange carâ€

“No problem. Trust me, John. They won’t reach usâ€

“Trust you? I’ve trusted you when you said that the robbery would have been so easy. So, it isn’t a good premiseâ€

“I’m a good driver, right?â€

“Also Dukes boys are good drivers. Do you remember yesterday, Daniel? We’ve already tested their abilityâ€

Daniel grinned “This is the reason why I can overreach them. I know their weak points, while they never saw me driving. We’ll take advantage of it.â€

“Oh my God. You’re foolâ€

Two hours later, Cooter was driving his truck towards Hazzard Pond. He couldn’t believe what had happened. He thought that it was a very strange day; Enos laid in a hospital bed, and the General Lee was in Hazzard Pond, like Rosco’s patrol car.

When Cooter arrived at Hazzard Pond he saw Bo and Luke, soaked, staring at their car in the Pond. It wasn’t so strange to see a patrol car in Hazzard Pond, but it was unbelievable to see the General Lee in the same situation.

“Are you okay, buddies? What’s happened?

“Dukes have helped bandits to escape†said Rosco “It’s their fault if I’ve ...â€

“Rosco, we wanted to help you. We were chasing that car, like youâ€. Luke was very angry; he didn’t understand how he could have committed a so stupid mistake.

It was a very bad day. Everything seemed to go wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS OK guys. I know it's a strage story. The General Lee in the Hazzard Pond? It's an incredible thing. But when a day begins like a bad day, it also finishes like a bad day.

Daisy woke up in the evening. She felt confused; she didn’t understand if everything that’s happened was a nightmare or reality.

When she entered in the kitchen, uncle Jesse and her cousins were sitting around the table, silent. She feared that something wrong had happened; she feared that Enos condition had worsened. She sat at the table staring at her family, waiting for bad news.

Uncle Jesse put a hand on Daisy hand “How do you feel, honey? Did you sleep?â€

“Yeah, uncle Jesse. Sedatives were very strong; I’ve slept like a baby, but now I’m feeling a bit confused, as if this day doesn’t exist. I would turn back time, I would that really this day doesn’t existâ€, Daisy swallowed before to continue “Have you news from hospital? Something wrong’s happened?â€

“Yeah. We’ve jumped in Hazzard Pond†Luke said. “And the robbers?†Daisy asked. “Disappearedâ€, Luke answered sadly. Bo continued “I don’t know where Daniel and John...â€, he stopped suddenly, while uncle Jesse and Luke, astonished, were looking at him; Bo was so tired not to pay attention to his words.

“John and Daniel? Why are you talking about them now, Bo?†Daisy was confused, but after few moments she remembered when Bo had talked about two robbers in the hospital, and she understood everything. She realized that John and Daniel were the two robbers who nearly killed Enos, and they were the same guys she helped to escape from prison the day before; the same guys for which she fought with Enos.

She felt responsible as if she had injured Enos with her own hands.

Sergeant Ray Mason arrived in Hazzard after that the local sheriff, Rosco P. Coltrane, sent out a warrant against John and Daniel Grey, charged with robbing the local bank and shotting a local deputy, Enos Strate.

Ray was chasing responsibles of several frauds in Atlanta since five years; he had discovered only few months before that frauds responsibles were John and Daniel Grey, and he nearly arrested them in Atlanta, but they escaped. He didn’t know why Grey brothers arrived in Hazzard and why they decided to rob a bank (it was their first time); and he was amazed at what sheriff Coltrane told him: it was strange that John and Daniel shotted a cop (they never used guns before) and it was also strange that a local family (Duke family) helped them to escape for two times (the first time when they escaped from prison, and the second time when they escaped from pursuit on Hazzard streets).

Ray Mason was a chilly and revengeful man, and he hated people who prevented him to reach his aims; he wanted to be promoted, and Grey’s capture could have made his promotion easier. So he was very angry, indeed, furious; deputy Strate let Greys escape from prison (and Ray didn’t care that the cop was badly injured; he considered it as a punishment for his incapacity), and those damn Dukes helped them to escape.

While he was walking on Hazzard streets, he heard many citizens talking about the day before. He understood many things: first, Hazzard people loved deputy Strate, and everyone was worried about his condition; second, deputy Strate was a friend of Dukes, especially of Daisy Duke, and they were in hospital with him, waiting for his awakening; third, Dukes were on probation.

He was thinking about Dukes probation, deputy Strate’s friendship with Dukes, Grey’s robbery and Dukes help. An idea struck him. He had to pay a visit to Deputy Strate; someone had to pay for his failed promotion, or Dukes or Deputy Strate.

Ray Mason arrived at the Hospital. In waiting room he recognized Duke family thanks to sheriff Coltrane's and Boss Hogg's description.

A white-bearded man was embracing a young woman (Ray thought that she was very pretty, but too young for him); “Don’t worry, honey. Doctors say he’s still under sedatives ‘cause the pain, and they’ll decrease doses gradually; he’ll wake up, but now it’s too early.†“I know that, Uncle Jesse. But it’s so painful to see him in this condition; he opened his eyes only for few seconds and then he fell again asleep; he didn’t tell anything. He didn’t even notice usâ€

“Uncle Jesse’s right, Daisy†the brown boy spoke “He’ll be OKâ€

Ray approched them, with a devilish smile.

Dukes looked at the man who was approaching them; they had never seen him before.

“Duke family, right? I’m Sergeant Ray Mason, from Atlanta. I hope your friend Enos will recoverâ€. His words sound completly false, and Dukes froze at that devilish smile on his face. They didn’t understand what the stranger wanted, and he continued to speak : “It’s strange that you are friends both of Deputy Strate, a cop, and of robbers; what’s happened, guys?â€.

“Seargent Mason, I don’t know what you are insinuating, but we aren’t friends of any robber†Uncle Jesse answered, angry “and you would be so gentle not to disturb us while we are so worried for a friendâ€

Ray looked at them icely: “I know you helped John and Daniel Grey to escape for two timesâ€

“What?†Luke said “We didn’t help anybody to escape. I imagine what Boss Hogg and Rosco told you; we tried to chase the robbers after they shotted Enos, but, unfortunately, our chase failed, and Rosco think that we failed on purpose, but he’s wrongâ€

Ray stared at Luke “And when you helped them to escape from prison? It’s another lie? Deputy Strate will tell me the truth. Or will he protect you? Will he protect you when he’ll know that you helped robbers who nearly killed him? â€

Ray Mason called doctor Kane, the doctor who was taking care of Enos.

“I’m Sergeant Mason, from Atlanta. I have to talk to deputy Strate. It’s very important for my investigation about Hazzard bank’s robberyâ€.

“Sorry, Sergeant Mason. But now Deputy Strate can’t answer to your questions; he needs sedatives and he’s unconsciousâ€.

“I can’t wait, doctor Kane. I have to talk to him NOW. If he’s under sedatives, well, stop sedatives administration and awake himâ€

Doctor Kane was surprised: “What? Awake him? It’s painful, and it could be dangerous. He can’t answer to your question under sedatives, you’re right, but he can’t even do it under pain or deadâ€

“Doctor Kane, you’re pretending not to understand what I’m saying. It’s a police investigation, and I can arrest you for interference.â€

Doctor Kane was angry, but, after a deep breath, said:†OK, sergeant Mason. I’ll awake him, but I’m his doctor, so I’ll stay in his room with you, in order to control his state. If I’ll see that h’s suffering too much, I’ll stop you. This is my conditionâ€

“OK. But remember that everything we’ll say in that room is secretâ€

“Of course. It’s a police investigation, right?†doctor’s words sound sarcastic; he didn’t like seargent Mason at all.

Doctor Kane and Ray Mason entered Enos room.

Daisy squeezed uncle Jesse’s hand, Bo gritted his teeth and Luke voiced what everyone was thinking:†What a hateful man. I would have preferred that Enos learned everything in a different way; I would have preferred to tell him everything personallyâ€; then he sat on a chair, putting his hands on his face.

An hour passed while the Dukes were waiting for Doctor Kane and Sergeant Mason. They were worried about what was happening.

They heard Doctor Kane voice “STOP!!! Now you have to stop, Sergeant Masonâ€, then both doctor and sergeant Mason came out the room.

Sergeant Mason faced the Dukes: “You are very luckyâ€, then he went away, full of anger.

The Dukes looked worried at doctor Kane; his voice trembled with rage: “What a b####dâ€.

“Enos?†asked uncle Jesse. “He passed out. Damnâ€, then doctor Kane looked closely at them: â€I don’t know and I don’t want to know what’s going on. I’m a doctor and not a cop, but I think that you have to explain a lot of things to Deputy Strate, ‘cause he’s a trusted friendâ€.

“Could we see him?â€. Doctor Kane stared at Daisy:†Absolutely no. Not now.â€, then he went away, leaving the Dukes alone, staring at each other.

Bo punched the wall: “I would kill Sergeant Masonâ€. “Calm down, Boâ€, Luke stood up and put a hand on his cousin’s shoulder.