Attention Enos fanfic writers out there: Question are we just all hopeless romantics?

Val Strate

This post sparks the question for all Enos writers out there; are we just hopeless romantics?

I was browsing the forums and seen another Enos fanfic writer had posted a story about Enos's undying love for Daisy. It was a good short fic and I really got into it. However after reading the story, this question came to mind, especially after seeing the topic about Enos and Daisy. Are Enos fans hopeless romantics?

I mean, lets face it... Our fanfic hero is a hopeless romantic. He has an undying love for a woman, that it's often debated on whether or not she returns his affections. Yet he loves her. He feels that she is the one to complete his very existence.

I then look at most of the fiction I've written and I plan to write and I think, oh my god, I have a writing style that is often classified as romantic. It's not that I plan to write that way, it just comes out that way. I like reading and writing romance, especially romance that doesn't always go exactly how you want it or shows human flaw or reason as to why people fall in love or out of love.

I mean I can write other fiction, not just romance but romance is a familiar ground for me. I also look at other Enos writers and find they have very similar styles and tastes as to how the write their fiction. So I ask all you Enos writers out there, what do you think guys? I'm using the noun 'guys' loosely here, and in most cases I've known fanfic writers are usually women. On top of that, Enos Strate fanfic writers the odds of being female are even higher.

Also, let’s face it; love is like finding used chewing gum at the mall. You know sometime when you visit a mall you're going to find a lump of it. You just don't know when, were or how it's going to happen. You could step in a glob, or put your hand in it; sit in it by accident could be another way. You may not make physical contact with it at all; you may just see a wad of it. At any rate, you will find some used chewing gum at a shopping mall at some point or another.

So any thoughts on this issue? Enos fans especially what do you guys think?

Plus, other duke writers out there, you guys have any thoughts about this idea?

I think the term I would use is 'hopeful romantic'. :D

Enos is a character that seems to carry the traits of gentleman and friend. I know that he has always cared for Daisy, but that in some sense, she has basically strung him along, sometimes indicating that she cares, and sometimes completely ignoring him. When I was little I was really mad at her for doing that to him. His crush on her was used more often than not, and I found it to be rather sad how the Dukes treated him. It was as though he was only good enough to snooker or to make a fool of. Yet, he was always there to help them if they needed him for information.

In writing Enos, I have found something of a romantic in myself, but I have also felt that the romance aspects of the characters here tend to be more realistic than other characters from other shows. Having written a number of fan fiction stories in my day, I have found the romantic aspect fun to write. However, I can also write non-romance stuff, but that's generally not Enos and Daisy. If, for example, I'm writing a story using two characters who never even indicated that they were interested in one another, then the romantic aspects simply wouldn't be there. That is, although I romanticize about Enos and Daisy, I don't do that with all the characters, whether it be DoH stories, or something else. In the case of Enos and Daisy, to me the romance has to be there, simply because it was so evident in the portrayal of the two characters in the show.

Some fan fiction writers will pair up people just for the sake of pairing them up. This leads to a lot of writers (particularly younger writers) falling into the entrapment of Mary Sue writing. (For those who don't know what Mary Sue's are, these are stories where generally a writer will create this perfect character love interest to one of the regulars in said fandom. Generally, it is the one that they are hopelessly attracted to.) I don't mean Bo or Luke having a love interest that is an original character, but I mean the general Mary Sue is too perfect, too beautiful, and too available, whereas a realistic orginal character has flaws and faces a realistic human condition. This is generally a character who is well developed and has a defined personality.

I think that the Enos & Daisy pairup is a lot more realistic because of the 'implied' interest. I don't know if that necessarily makes me a 'hopeless romantic', but it does show an element of realism in the characters. I cannot write a story where Enos is in love with someone besides Daisy, and I can't stand it when I see Daisy being taken by some other guy besides Enos. Even in the show, it would really bother me when Daisy would be involved with another fellow that wasn't Enos. That was the case even when I was a kid.

I think that my liking Enos' character tends to align itself with the concept of 'nice guys finishing last'. I mean; most people, whether they like Enos and Daisy as a pair or not, would say that he is a nice guy. He's shy and timid, which I think is why people have made him out to be stupid. I don't think he's stupid at all, in fact, I think he is very intelligent, but that is underwritten by the interactions he has with the other characters. At the same time, the only real forcefulness in him seems to come about through his job as deputy. He takes that seriously, but it seems as though no one takes him seriously. Having Daisy take his feelings and emotions seriously is, to me, a very fundamental aspect to writing this kind of fiction.

On a general scale, I do write some romantic fiction, but I try not to write it to a fault. If I get too involved in writing stories about these particular characters and the become too 'typical', then I will take a step back and evaluate if I've been developing a stereotypical style of writing or not.

I hope that answers your question.

I think the term I would use is 'hopeful romantic'. :D

Hey! I like that! Now that's catchie! (If I could borrow a line from Bo Duke there. *chuckles*)

You're right. Maybe we should call ourselves 'hopeful romantics'. I do too hate seeing Daisy paired up with characters other than Enos. However, if we didn't see that in Daisy and she just fell madly in love with Enos, would it make our interests in their romance less interesting? I mean, it gives curves to the plot line of the whole series. However at the end there it was getting to the point where yeah, she should have married him. I mean tell me the first reunion did not tick you off? She's already to marry him and they are ready to carry out the ceremony and out of nowhere come L.B.! I mean that really turned my butter when that happened. Makes you want to throw rotten tomatoes at the TV!

However, if it was any consolation, I loved the way he handled it.

"Daisy, I just have to wait for you to grow up. I waited this long."

Perfect gentleman to the end, but it makes you wonder the private heartache that must lie underneath.

Valerie M. Strate

I'm very happy there are so many Enos's fans out there.

I love him since childhood, and now I'm 30 years old.

He's shy, loyal, lovable. I like his smile and his eyes.

Perhaps I'm too romantic. I'm a dreamer. It's so easy for me falling in love with characters of TV show, books and so on.

I like more fictional characters than real people. Am I so strange? :confused:

Reading your posts I think that I'm not so strange at all.

I'm also writing a Enos-Daisy fanfic (what a imagination :) ).

But I don't know if finally I'll post it or not.

I'm too shy and my english is not so perfect (I'm italian). Sorry.

Welcome to Hazzardnet i1076!!!

Don't let shyness be the only thing stopping you from posting a fan fic. I'm probably one of the shyest people ever, but I worked up the courage to post a fic a couple of years ago. It's wonderful getting feed back on all of your hard work. And as far as your English goes, I didn't have any problems reading your post so I'm sure a fic would be fine too. Ultimately its your decision whether to post a fic or not, but here's my encouragement to give it a shot.

I wouln't worry either. I had a friend who helped me with my German story and it turned out to be pretty good. If you need someone to beta read for you, I'll volunteer.

As for other languages, I tried to find out what 'possum on a gumbush' was in German, but it didn't come across very good. In fact, the translation was not all that hot at all. I guess the German translators didn't do a bang up job with that and I listened to it five ro six times and still no dice. Darn!!!

How is it in Italian? My Italian is so limited to words like 'Ciau' that it's downright embarrassing. :D

I think you're right about the issue with the show being good with that little 'tension' between the two characters, Val, but still...it is downright disheartening with the whole thing. I never saw the movies. We just got seasons 1-5 of the show on DVD, and I'm working on getting season seven for that Daisy Enos wedding episode. ;) Of course, it bugs the heck outta me that Daisy would leave Enos for this L.B. person, whoever the heck this joker is. :( Sad...I figured that by the end, Daisy would tie the knot with Enos. What is the matter with that girl???

I wouln't worry either. I had a friend who helped me with my German story and it turned out to be pretty good. If you need someone to beta read for you, I'll volunteer.

As for other languages, I tried to find out what 'possum on a gumbush' was in German, but it didn't come across very good. In fact, the translation was not all that hot at all. I guess the German translators didn't do a bang up job with that and I listened to it five ro six times and still no dice. Darn!!!

How is it in Italian? My Italian is so limited to words like 'Ciau' that it's downright embarrassing. :D

I think you're right about the issue with the show being good with that little 'tension' between the two characters, Val, but still...it is downright disheartening with the whole thing. I never saw the movies. We just got seasons 1-5 of the show on DVD, and I'm working on getting season seven for that Daisy Enos wedding episode. ;) Of course, it bugs the heck outta me that Daisy would leave Enos for this L.B. person, whoever the heck this joker is. :( Sad...I figured that by the end, Daisy would tie the knot with Enos. What is the matter with that girl???

In italian, "possum on a gambush" was translated "per tutti gli opossum" (something like "for all possums"). I think there isn't a perfect translation of "possum on a gambush" in any language.

CiaO. ;)

PS for all Enos fans. Perhaps I'll post a new Enos fanfic in the Round Robin Series. I have an idea, but I have some difficult to go on with the story. So I need your help.

CiaO. ;)

You see, what did I tell you? My Itallian is terrible!!! Oh woe is me! (takes a overly dramatic moment before going back to the topic at hand!) I'll never be able to imitate Eros Ramazzotti again. <g> Oh well, I guess it's no big deal, since I prefer Tiziano Ferro anyway (these are Italian singers, just for those of you reading this and wondering 'who?'). :)

Back to Enos, whom I really do prefer over Eros. He's much cuter!!

I think that any Enos stories that people could write would be wonderful. They are not as well received at fanfiction.net, but they are the ones I read with great gusto. There needs to be a new influx of Enos stories, so anyone got any ideas? :)

• 6 years later...