RIP Barbaro "American Hero, Lost"

Chet Duke

Today is a very sad day in the horse world folks. As many of you probably saw on the news today, a young race horse named Barbaro was mercifully put down by choice of his owners after either long months of fighting to survive a terribly shattered leg.

In 2006 this young bay colt won one of the greatest horse races in the world. The Kentucky Derby, he capatured the eye and hearts of horse lovers, young and old. Many horses before him like the great Man O' War and the sweet Secretariat became American Heroes in a time of war and depression. Barbaro turned out to be like them, in this time of war and in such a negative world, this big horse brought us a story that we could all latch onto.

Barbaro will be greatly missed by his family and millions of fans who kindly donated to support him during his many surgeries and battle to survive. Among millions of other horse owners, I have lost a American hero today. An animal who deserves to be on the same page with legendary names such as... Man O' War, Secretariat, Exterminator, Fair Play, Fairmount, War Admiral, Seabiscuit, Funny Cide, John Henry, Lonesome Glory, Afleet Alex, Pharlap, Ruffian, Citation, Affirmed, Alydar, Native Dancer, Whirlaway and I must mention my best friend, my own beloved retired race horse Nowhere To Go.

We will all miss you Barbaro.

~Denise Wallan.

post-2642-143050809115_thumb.jpg

I heard about that ... that's sad. He was less than four years old, wasn't he? I hate it when animals have to be put down, but my sister's a vet, so I know that if it's humanely euthanised, then the animal's suffering is over. I know it doesn't help much, but it's good to know that he is no longer suffering.

*huggles Chet* I'm sorry, sweetie.