Why does Tom have a beef against them ?

Actually Vance was a Merchant Marine, which is a little different than a Marine because they never get the credit they deserve later on. My grandfather was in the Merchant Marine's and I talked to a veteran of the Merchant Marine from World War II and he says that they got supplies back and forth to the troops and had to dodge the enemy troops as well.

There was something, I recall, though not in detail. And I don't believe it was entirely based on the other two taking his and John's place... also personal, I believe. But details are lacking and probably better left that way. Everyone's human, on all sides of an argument. Live and let live.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I think,if there is an issue with Coy and Vance, wasn't in the acting ability (Tom, John, and Cathy were both relatively unknown at the time), but the fact that the producers essentially changed actors and names but made the characters almost identical. Coy was basically the younger, slightly wilder one and Vance was the older, more rational one that came up with most of the ideas. In some ways it was an insult not only to Tom and John, but to the fans as well and it also did a disservice to the actors playing Coy and Vance. Fans were never going to like them because their characters were too much the same.

dont know how many people know this but byron actually auditioned for dukes before it even started and john beat him out John and Byron were good friends before 1978 so thats where wb got the john knock off I couldnt stand coy and vance in the show nothing against them personally but they were not that great at acting so I understand what tom is upset about.