Why does Tom have a beef against them ?

Why does Tom have a beef against Byron Cherry and Chip Mayer ",

is it because they replaced him and John when they left because if that is the case then his anger should be directed at WB not at Chris and Byron.

I bet he still holds a grudge today since whenever he talks about them

he doesn't have anything nice to say so I'm gussing he got mad at them?.

• 1 month later...

First of all let me say, I am a huge Bo and Luke fan. In my eyes, no one could ever take their place and do them justice. I never was much of a fan of Coy and Vance for several reasons - but have nothing against the actors portraying them. They were placed into a difficult situation by being forced into wearing such big shoes as replacing Bo and Luke. If WB did it differently-like make Coy and Vance their own character instead of Bo and Luke, they could have had a chance for acceptance. Even if that was the case - no one could take the place of Bo and Luke -John/Tom.

But to defend WB - what else were they suppose to do? Tom and John just walked out on them and on a show that was high in ratings. I understand why Tom and John did what they did - they shouldn't have gotten cheated and if everything was as it was suppose to be, they wouldn't have been placed in that position. (Which has nothing to do with the Meyer and Cherry). But at the same time, WB had to do something to fill in the void that John and Tom left as they went on strike.

Well there is my two cents worth in the topic. :wink:

~Garrett Duke~

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I agree with all the above. I am not a fan of Coy and Vance and can understand Tom's anger at their poor portrayal of being a replacement Bo and Luke. The show was a lot of fun and as is said by the producer on one of the season's extra's, after season 5 the show lost ratings and maybe if the replacements hadn't been so poor and the negotiations with John and Tom were done before they could walk out, then the show could have continued for a longer run.

Then again, it isn't the actors fault that their portrayal, the writers and producers made them that way unfortunatly. So there, Tom's anger towards them was unjustified. I dont like Coy and Vance personally, definfitly a low in Dukes, but I can understand where Tom is coming from there.

• 2 weeks later...

From all I've read and been told the blame is totally on WB. They made very little effort to try and settle with John and Tom and give them a cut of the royalties from the merchandice. WB felt the General Lee was a big enough draw on it's own merit as it was getting almost as much fan mail as any of the castmembers.They felt that they could throw just any two good looking guys in there as long as they drove General Lee and forced them to act exactly like Bo and Luke and the show would go on somewhat normal.Boy were they wrong.

• 1 month later...
Actually I heard a few years ago that the dislike may be more personal than that. I believe it was Byron especially that Tom didn't get along with. Details unknown and probably better unasked.

Could that be why Luke doesn't hug Coy when Coy & Vance are leaving in Welcome Back, Bo 'n' Luke? Bo hugs both of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be, or it could just be Luke's character. As an actor, it is your job to act like you like them, but what you have to see is that Luke was never really a very huggy person towards any members of his family particularly. It's nearly always Bo with his arm round Luke not the other way around. Lots of people have written in fan fics that thats because of Luke's time in the Marine's and stuff, its open to interpretation. :-) But that's my take on it anyway....

Luke was never really a very huggy person towards any members of his family particularly. It's nearly always Bo with his arm round Luke not the other way around....

It is true that Luke is not generally as relaxed with touching and being touched as, say, Bo is. He's usually more likely to shake a hand than give a hug. That said, he does get closer to the members of his immediate family - Bo and Daisy especially. Anyone else though, it's not likely.

I suppose it's possible that military life could stiffen him up a bit. However, it's not the most likely reason. Military life isn't home; not all the habits will transfer even if some instincts and gut reactions will. Personally, I simply believe Luke never has been, even when younger, as touchy a person. It's just him. He doesn't seem to mind Bo or Daisy, or even Jesse starting a hug though. He just won't often initiate it. Once in a while.

~Lukas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was in the Marines and I like to hug. Since the show never made any mention of Luke being a Vietnam vet (I doubt his character was old enough), I don't think the Marines changes you that much in peacetime. I agree that the writers stuck with consistency in the characters and since Bo is a younger, more outgoing and more huggable redneck that's what they went with...at least that's what I want to believe. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

You guys might have me on that but I'm still not convinced. I'm going to double check but I thought that in "Hijack" just the Marines were mentioned and not necessarily Vietnam. I don't remember the war being mentioned in "Follow that Still" but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I do remember the line "Marines and moonshiners have a lot in common. We both don't stay in one place very long." If you guys are right and I'm wrong, I owe you a buttermilk at the Boar's Nest. Possum on a gumbush. I'm wrong....I mean, I'm gone.

If Uncle Jesse used the word "war" I guess I owe you that buttermilk. Coincidently, I've been watching the episodes in order and saw the Runaway tonight and am planning on seeing "Follow that Still" tomorrow. I'll see the hijack episode down the road but I'll take your word for it. Is buttermilk half price at the Boar's Nest during happy hour? See you then. I'm gone.

Yep, You're right. He did use the word "war". "Follow that Still" was a little less clear. Luke did mention that he was a vet but the term vet also applies to those who served in peactime. The memorial sign Boss dedicated did not state that it was only for wartime vets but since Boss said that it was a wartime memorial, that it also proof enough that Luke was stating he was in Vietnam. Good job you two. Would you like whip cream on that buttermilk? I'm gone.

As you may know I'm new to using computers (I really am a redneck who lives like the Dukes minus the fast car). Before discovering the Hazzardnet on March 15, I never knew anybody who knew more about Hazzard County than myself. I now have to make the adjustment of realizing that there are other Hazzardites who know more than me. You two humbled me and I have since adjusted my attitude about being so smart. I appreciate that...but most of all I appreciate meeting folks like you who love Hazzard enough to care about things like that. This Hazzardnet is awesome and I thank everybody who is a part of it, especially those who began it. To me, the Dukes was never a fantasy, Hazzard is a way of life. I'm glad there's other people who know what it's like to feel that way. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

• 1 month later...

I think during season four, in one of the DVD extra specials when Tom talks about walking off the show, he says he was glad when Vance and Coy left. During one of the commentaries on the fourth season, Tom actually says they should have gotten people who could act to play Coy and Vance. I guess he got a little upset cause WB had nerve to replace John and Tom when they left and plus probably saw what they were doing to the show. Coy and Vance should have been their own characters, not replacements. The show might have went a little better, if the story line was just Coy and Vance staying until the Dukes try thier hand at racing. Things might have went a lot better. But they threw those characters together, even had Vance be an exmarien just like Luke was...It really isn't Byron and Christopher's fault. They just did a job, lots of feathers were ruffled when WB hired them.