Waylon Tribute

• 8 months later...

Poor 'ol Waylon is the only one who hasn't had a post in 2007 so I thought I'd change that. His threads might be a little lonely. That reminds me of his quote from the end of "The Great Santa Claus Chase"....."Boss was feeling lonelier than 'ol Waylon at the Country Music Association Awards". For you youngsters who might not get that... despite his astronomical record sales and popularity, Waylon never seemed to get many formal awards. People loved him but the "Establishment" didn't. The reason was that he was such a rebel. He was always fighting the system like one modern day Robin Hood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey Y'all!

Great thoughts! I like what you said, Roger, about it can't be much different than Hazzard Net, (except he don't have to worry about the computer kickin' him off!)

I think we owe Waylon a huge thank-you. He is an overlooked member of the cast (mainly because we only see him once in the entire run of the show) and without him, the Dukes simply wouldn't be.

Thank you, Waylon! You truly put your heart and soul, not to mention your voice!, into the Dukes of Hazzard and made it what it is today. I know we don't give you credit where credit is due all too often, but I would like to take the time now to say a Huge Thank you. You are a good ol' Boy just like the rest of the cast, you are just running things behind the scenes. We won't ever forget you! We'll miss you...

And if I were running the show, you'd have gotten a couple awards! I am sure that the whole gang here would give you awards, too!

My radio station that I listen to the most, has this thing they do at five forty in the morning (somewhere around that time) where they play one old song. They usaully do a theme or something to play throughout the week and begin a new one the next week. They also take submissions and ideas...

So I sent in last week that they should play a week of Waylon, this week, since Wednesday will mark six years since his death...and starting today they are doing it! Was excited to hear that they are taking my idea...of course, my luck and all, I only caught onto the last part of the song due to the radio in my car being on the wrong channel. They even thanked me on the radio for the idea and pointing the fact out to them of it being the anniversary of his death. So for this week, I'll be able to hear a song of ol' Waylon on my way to work. I always consider it a good morning when they chose a song of his to play at that time.

Nothing too big, but had to share it with someone. ;)

That's pretty cool Garrett. Did they mention your name too? I like your taste in music. I don't listen to the radio much. The new country sounds too much like pop (with some exceptions) I can see why people like it though but I miss the artists like Waylon. If we ever get a retro country station where I live, I'll listen all the time.

Yeah they did mention me by name...I was surprised that they took me up on my idea and even more so that they publicly thanked me, by name, for pointing out the fact of it marking six years since Waylon's death. I got to hear two Waylon's songs today...first this morning on my way to work with that program and then I came home for my break and the DJ played "Luchenback Texas" which is my favorite Waylon song! (I leave the radio on for my dog while I am away) It couldn't have came at a better time. I had a rough or hectic day today where things just didn't seem to go my way, hearing Waylon just seems to make things to be OK.

I agree with you about the new songs and artists, but I can't complain much since I do listen to the radio all the time and like some of those artists. But I agree, they are definately a lot different than what it once was. Probably what they had considered Rock back then, could be classified as Country today. Which is sad. My mom often says that they should make Country Music into two settings, one alternative and one plain Country or something. When Alan Jackson (I am pretty sure it was him) came into the picture and was wanting to become a Country singer, they turned him away, telling him he was too Country! I don't understand how they could say something like that or turn someone down for that reason when that is the genre of music he was applying for. (Then again, I can't see how anyone could turn Alan Jackson and his music away!)

LOL...sorry for all my rambling. Thank-you Roger for your comments...Waylon Jennings is my favorite singer that sang before the 1990's or so. But I must say that all in all, he is one of my all time favorites. You can't go wrong with ol' Waylon. ;)

That's pretty cool Garrett. Did they mention your name too? I like your taste in music. I don't listen to the radio much. The new country sounds too much like pop (with some exceptions) I can see why people like it though but I miss the artists like Waylon. If we ever get a retro country station where I live, I'll listen all the time.

Couldnt have said it better myself, give us some artists like Conway and Loretta, Charlie Daniels, CCR, Kathy Mattea, Goerge Strait and Goerge Jones...all the old ones...Buck Owens, our very own mr, Tom WOpat and John Schnieder...

Ya know, its funny...I get made fun of for my style of music and the shows I watch... I like to watch Bonanza and Gunmoke, anything with cowboys or the old west Ill watch...Any old show or movie Ill watch....I only listen to the old country too...or the old rock and roll...nothing new at all...and everyone makes fun of me and says im weird....just for the way I was raised... Sorry I got totally off track yall LOL

Oh, that is okay, Lori. I get teased, too, because I like Glen Campbell and older TV shows, but in my opinion, they are a heck of a lot better than most of the stuff they put on TV...

Well, I am going to have to admit that until I saw the Dukes of Hazzard, I never even heard of Waylon, and I don't listen to his music too much. But if I do hear some, I appreciate it more simply becuase I think of him saying "Welcome... to Hazzard County" One of my All time Favorite Lines!!

I agree about the "new" country music. It just isn't the same. I never realized that either until I saw the Dukes and started looking into music from Waylon, and other artists around that time. I really enjoy the older stuff and sometimes wonder how people like the new music. Most of it you can't understand what they are saying, and some of it I am surprised that it can get on the radio with the message it is sending.

Okay, I'll stop babbling now. I would like to thank y'all for starting this thread and keeping it going. Great Idea! Poor ol' Waylon seems to get neglected sometimes... We always think of the main characters and the General Lee... Poor ol' Waylon!!

I'll catch y'all around Hazzard

General Grant

I might have heard his songs and of Waylon before I got into the Dukes in '97 (Don't ask me how I remember that...lol) but never paid much attention to him until I got into the show. Now I own several albums of him (mainly they are all hit collections) and really enjoy his music. I enjoyed listening to him on the show, he always had interesing, funny things to say. It is too bad they hadn't paid the extra money to show his face along with his hands in the opening song. I think some of my favorite sayings too are him introducing Hazzard and at the beginning of the show, the Duke family. He helped you know the characters from the get go.

I must confess while I am here at it, that I do listen to the newer stuff and own a lot of albums from new artists. But as I said, it is a lot different than what it use to be which is sad because it was good back then too. They should have two different categories or be more willing to play the older stuff with the new. There are a few artists out there that are pure country that are still singing...like Alan Jackson, George Strait...Joe Nichols is pretty Country I think. But there isn't much out there any more.

Hi Everyone!

You know what I love about coming on HazzardNet? You always give me something new to think about! I must admit, in my mind I've never thought of Waylon Jennings to be part of the cast. I just thought of him as the "background guy." You know, the cool guy in the back that just says a couple of catchy jokes, makes you laugh, and then he leaves. I never really thought how important he really was until I read this post tonight!

But, then I thought about how different the show would be if I muted everything that he said. Can you imagine that?!? I mean, you would hear the Dukes talking and stuff, but it wouldn't be the same! You would miss the jokes and what was happening. Like everyone was saying, he was such a pivotal part of the show.

And, I didn't realize it was only 6 years ago that he passed away. I was thinking it was a lot longer. But, nevertheless, it's still sad to hear when a Duke Member passes away.

Yes, I do listen to a bit of the older country, and I love the older movies, too! They are just so great!

Well, talk to all of you soon!

Laura

Hi Everyone!

You know what I love about coming on HazzardNet? You always give me something new to think about! I must admit, in my mind I've never thought of Waylon Jennings to be part of the cast. I just thought of him as the "background guy." You know, the cool guy in the back that just says a couple of catchy jokes, makes you laugh, and then he leaves. I never really thought how important he really was until I read this post tonight!

But, then I thought about how different the show would be if I muted everything that he said. Can you imagine that?!? I mean, you would hear the Dukes talking and stuff, but it wouldn't be the same! You would miss the jokes and what was happening. Like everyone was saying, he was such a pivotal part of the show.

And, I didn't realize it was only 6 years ago that he passed away. I was thinking it was a lot longer. But, nevertheless, it's still sad to hear when a Duke Member passes away.

Yes, I do listen to a bit of the older country, and I love the older movies, too! They are just so great!

Well, talk to all of you soon!

Laura

What older Country artist would you want to meet in person?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Oops...dumb ol' me. Sorry Roger...I didn't stop to look at the date you had posted that post about your daughter's up coming baby. For some odd reason, I had thought it was an old post that I hadn't read before for some reason...it's been a long day.

Well congratulations on your news, Roger! I hope it all goes well and that in June you will have a healthy grandson or granddaughter!