The Art of Playing to the Public

BoRobertDuke

Hello everyone... being a relative new citizen to the forums on HazzardNet, I've deliberated for a while on making a forum thread of my own, but what the heck, it can't hurt.. This is for all of you, whoever you might be, that took the challenge to sing/play/or perform in front of a number of people, be it at a concert venue, or singing karaoke at the bar. I HONOR YOU! Anyone care to share any stories or tear-jerking or embarrassing moments?

Well, I suppose I'll share a little bit about myself first. I've been in a professional Christian band for a year now, but I have been involved in music ... oh for a coon's age, starting with the tender age of six, when I decided to belt out songs with a semi-tonedeaf ear to a congregation of people at church. Oh the memories of the tapes when they played back to me... Gahhh!! But that is all well and good, because anybody will smile and say a kid is cute while singing even when they are painfully assaulting your ears with decibels and pitches never before attempted by any maestro. But let's talk about the more refined adult arena.... shall we? :D

My most embarrassing moments were:

1.) I tripped on a mic cord ON VIDEO

2.) It came time to sing and I said aloud "I forgot"

3.) I was running from backstage with my mouth full

4.) I stood on one leg like a stork... and tripped.

5.) I got my flute snagged on the mic cords.

Anyone? :D

• 1 month later...

My junior year in highschool I auditioned to be in the talent show, playing my guitar and singing a tune. The show was held two nights (Thurs and Friday) and I played both nights. It had been a long while since I'd been on a stage so I really was nervous and when I realized I was about to sing in front of an audience I drew a total blank. Not on singing the song, but I was going to do a lil' introduction! (Good evening everyone.... ect...)

Anyway, so I start in on playing and suddenly there's feedback from the microphone. SCREEEEEEECH!!! Terrific! Can this go any smoother now? LOL

The kid running the sound board is at the foot of the stage and I hear him say "Sorry." According to my parents and friends I gave him a look to kill. ROFL

Anyway, with the microphone adjusted I started playing again. Sang the song, made it through, got a standing ovation. Khee!

For the record (somebody out there will probably ask what song did I sing) the song I sang was "Mother Nature's Son" by the Beatles. Nice acoustic tune. I had also rehearsed "Daniel" by Elton John as a back up.

As I sit here now, many years later, my guitar is need of new strings, tuning and cleaning. Last time I pulled it out to play it (after having not played it in about 6 or 7 years...) I broke two strings on it and had no replacements. And that was about a year ago. LOL. Ah well, someday I'll get it fixed it up again.

Well, I had sang three classic 1990's Reba Songs and the ones that I remember being "Why I haven't I Heard From You" and my brother said that I added a little bit of Sass to the song. And Also " The Night Lights Went Out In Geogria" and "If I had Only Known" apparently I was good enough to win the Karoke contest but everybody in the bar loved my version of Reba's. My brother took Aaron Tippens "Kiss This" and added more attitude to the song.