Any info on Peggy Rea/Lulu???

Capt_Redneck

• 1 month later...

Poor Lulu....she doesn't have many posts does she? It was sad to read she has no family... especially when I seen she wasn't in real good health on the 20th Anniversary Barbecue Documentary on the DVD.

I felt kinda bad for her so here is the only info I could dig up on the big informational highway (gee...ya'd think I'd find more on the net!):

Peggy Rea, S '38

For Peggy Rea, the road to a career in show business began with her first job as a secretary to Arthur Freed at MGM. Her journey continued with stops as a secretary at CBS, a San Francisco saleslady, an actress in a road show, a casting director, and a film and television actress.

She worked with the Freed Unit from 1941 to 1944 during the Golden Age of musicals. She joined CBS as secretary on Suspense and Sam Spade during, as she describes it, the Golden Age of radio. Rea left CBS in 1946 for a production of Skin of Our Teeth on La Cienega Boulevard. After a stint as a saleslady, she departed for New York, where she joined Anthony Quinn for the National Road Company production of A Streetcar Named Desire for two and one-half years.

Next it was a role in a Cole Porter musical, Out of This World, which she remembers as "a huge flop," then a run in the revue Lend an Ear in stock. CBS beckoned again, and Rea returned home as a secretary on The Red Skelton Show, followed by Gunsmoke and Have Gun Will Travel!

"In 1962 I went 'straight' again," she recalls. "Then it was back to acting. Since then I've done dozens of TV shows." Her credits include Here's Lucy, All in the Family, Maude, Mannix, and Death Valley Days. "And then Gunsmoke, Have Gun, and Skelton, all in front of the camera instead of behind it," she says.

Then came "These nice breaks," as she calls them. These include two years on The Waltons as Rose and seven years on The Dukes of Hazard as Lulu Hogg.

Her film career was launched in 1988 when she appeared with Bruce Willis in In Country, followed by Love Field with Michelle Pfeiffer and Made in America with Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson.

Most currently, she has played the mother-in-law on ABC Television's Grace Under Fire, which she calls "the best of times."

Regarding her career she notes, "Love it! How nice to be working and enjoying my 'Golden Years.'" Said Rea: "My personal life is pretty much work. No mate, no children or grandchildren (sorry about that), lots of adventures and locations & endash; Australia, Kentucky, North Carolina, San Francisco, Utah, Washington State, New York, and D.C. for In Country. It has been grand."

Actress - filmography

"Grace Under Fire" (1993) TV Series .... Jean Kelly (1995-1998)

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) .... Carter's Secretary

Kansas (1995) (TV)

Nothing But the Truth (1995) (TV) .... Flora

Walton Thanksgiving Reunion, A (1993) (TV) .... Rose

Made in America (1993) .... Alberta, Jackson Motors Secretary

Love Field (1992) .... Mrs. Heisenbuttal

"Step by Step" (1991) TV Series .... Ivy Baker (1991-1992)

Angel of Death (1990) (TV) .... Marci

Cross of Fire (1989) (TV) .... Eunice Schultz

In Country (1989) .... Mamaw

"Waltons, The" (1972) TV Series .... Rose Burton (1979-1981)

Cracker Factory, The (1979) (TV) .... Pomeroy

"Dukes of Hazzard, The" (1979) TV Series .... Lulu Coltrane Hogg

Rainy Day, A (1978) .... Mrs. Jewels

Gift of Love, The (1978) (TV) .... Mrs. Mooney

Kate Bliss and the Ticker Tape Kid (1978) (TV) .... Woman on Train

Bastard, The (1978) (TV) ... aka Kent Chronicles, The (1978) (TV)

"How the West Was Won" (1977) (mini) TV Series .... Mother Tice (episodes 1 & 2)

Lipstick (1976) .... Reporter

Amazing Cosmic Awareness of Duffy Moon, The (1976) (TV)

Promise Him Anything (1975) (TV) .... Mother

Blood Sport (1973) (TV) .... Mrs. Birdsong

Hunter (1973) (TV)

What's the Matter with Helen? (1971) .... Mrs. Schultz

Cold Turkey (1971) .... Mrs. Proctor

"Red Skelton Show, The" (1951) TV Series .... Regular Performer (1970-1971) ... aka "Red Skelton Hour, The" (1962) (USA: new title)

Learning Tree, The (1969) .... Miss McClintock

Valley of the Dolls (1967) (uncredited) .... Vocal coach

Walk Don't Run (1966) (uncredited) .... Russian Shot Putter... aka Walk, Don't Run (1966) (USA: promotional title)

Strange Bedfellows (1965) .... Mavis Masters

Looking for Love (1964) (uncredited) .... Relative

7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964) .... Mrs. Peter Ramsey ... aka Secret World of Dr. Lao, The (1964)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks, Tempest66! That was really interesting!

Another episode she had A VERY SMALL role was on "MacGyver" When I saw that, I was so excited to see her! She looked great!

What would the show have been like without Lulu, especially during the last couple of seasons of the Dukes of Hazzard-that's when Lulu and the Dukes got very close. And, a few times Lulu got Boss Hogg off of the Duke's backs, or else "I'll sleep in your bedroom" or he would have to give up his fridge in his bedroom! :p Wasn't she great!

Laura Duke

• 2 months later...

One thing (of many) that made the Dukes of Hazzard so successful was the amazing way they balanced a variety of things in order to appeal to many viewers. Of course the show wasn't trying to target middle-aged and elderly women so it's no surprise there weren't a lot on. Those of you who are regulars on the Hazzardnet know that I never say anything negative about the series but I'll make an exception here. I wish they would have had Lulu and Miz Tisdale on a lot more. These two ladies were unbelievable actresses and I feel the show should have used their talents more often. Perhaps, their contracts were worded so that they couldn't appear too often...I don't know if that's the case or not. I really love the episodes that these two were featured on and hope they knew how much they were appreciated by their fans.

Hey Roger (and everyone else, of course)!:wink:

You bring up a great point: Lulu and Miz Tizdale should have been on a LOT more than they were. Also, I don't think that only the middle-aged people loved those. For me, it's really safe to assume that everyone loved them. They brought a lot of energy and different things to the table. They brought a lot of humor, and love to the show.

Come on, who didn't love how just about when Boss Hogg was to scam the Dukes, Lulu would be there to threaten Boss-that in itself was funny-and Boss' face! :D

Or, everytime you saw Miz Tizdale, she made you pick a number at the post office-whether she knew you or not! She was so spunky, and really acted a lot younger than she was. And, let's not forget her doing wheelies on her motorcycle! :lol: Plus, it seemed like John, Catherine, and John really loved being around her, they always hugged her and had a big grin on there faces when she was around.

So, you're right, they should have been around more. But, for the time they were on-they were greatly enjoyed! :-P

Laura Duke

• 10 months later...