Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

Daisy sighed and curled more into Luke's comforting embrace, feeling safe and secure in his arms. She had noticed the downcast expression that Luke had been wearing since he had spoken to Bo and gentlly sighed, pulling away slightly and turning his head to make him look at her.

"Luke, sugar, you should get some sleep. We ain't gonna be able to go in to see Bo for a good couple of hours at least. You need to take care of yourself so you can help Bo through this."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke tenderly runs a hand down Daisy's cheek she still looks tired and worn despite the little rest she'd gotten earlier waiting for word.

"I know Dais I just can't rest,my mind ain't settled enough to rest it just keeps replayin old memories of us together as a family and of me n' Bo doing things together or me takin care o' him when he was sick growin up."

Rubbing his tired eyes Luke is determined he won't rest until Bo wakes up and they know for sure he's going to be ok.

She gently slid her arm round Luke's shoulder and stroked the hair on the nape of his neck, something she rememeber Jesse doing for him when he was troubled or ill as a youngster. It seemed to soothe him a little and she sat up, still gently stroking.

"Tell me about it Luke. Talking about it might clear your head a little."

Some of the tension leaves as Daisy strokes the hair on the nape of his neck but at Daisy's request Luke shakes his head he's not telling anyone anything until B.L. tells him whether or not Bo went to see Doc Appleby this week.

"It won't help...I jus'......I'll tell ya later ok" he turns to look at her again his eyes pleading for understanding that she just has to wait.

Jesse reaches over from his chair laying his arm around both his kids and resting his hand on Luke's shoulder as he watches the clock tick by slowly creeping toward the next visiting time.

She sees the pleading look in his eyes and knows then that he knows something about all this. Her first thought was to drag it out of him, concerned that what has happened to Bo may happen to him too, but she trusts in him.

Instead she slowly nods and continues to stroke the same place whispering softly.

"So tell me something else, tell me what else is on your mind."

Luke thinks for a moment then looks at Daisy smiling faintly"Oh all sorts of things alot of memories from when we was kids. Like the time we cut school ta the carnival just to see that exhibit that Uncle Jesse wouldn't let us see the day before cos it ""weren't somethin for kids ta see "" quoting Uncle Jesse from long ago;and that made us want to go more. And the time we went swimming in the middle of January as a dare from Cooter it's a thousand wonders we didn't catch pneumonia."

Without realizing it Luke begins to think less of the present bad situation although it's still in the back of his mind but the good memories are in the forefront.

Daisy smiled and laughed along with Luke as he recalled several memories, still gently stroking the nape of his neck, pleased that she was finally able to get Luke thinking about something other than the situation at present. With a bit of luck, the memory recall would have a tiring effect on Luke and it wouldn't be too long before she could get him to take a short nap.

Luke continues to recall memories they seem to be flying at him and spilling out one after another. The relaxing touch of Daisy's hand and the good memories blocking the bad present somewhat begins to make Luke feel secure and his eyes start to droop closed. Jerking up in his chair eyes opened wide Luke shakes his head to disspell the grips of sleep rubbing his tired eyes. Standing he makes a few rounds pacing the waitingroom to wakeup.

"Luke come sit back down ya makin me dizzy with all that pacing"

Uncle Jesse commands gently he can see the wearyness in Lukes face and knows he's fighting the urge to sleep but sleep is what he needs most of all right now. Luke returns to his chair nervously trotting his leg.

Daisy sighed as Luke jerked himself back awake and started to pace the waiting room, pleased that he responded to Jesse's gentle but firm order to sit back down. She resumed her stroking of his neck, softly whispering.

"Luke hunny, don't fight it, just sleep sugar. Ya know that Bo'd want ya to...he'd hate if he knew that you's was doin' this to yourself on account of him. Me and Uncle Jesse'll wake ya when we can see Bo again, until then either you sleep or I drive you straight back to the farm."

Luke presses the heels of his hands to his eyes shaking his head he looks back at Daisy with a determined stubborn look.

"Ain't neither one happening! I ain't sleeping til Bo wakes up and YOU ain't driving me back home. Last time I checked I was older'n both you and Bo and I was the one sposed to be tellin' ya'll what to do."

Luke is still looking at Daisy jaw clenched eyes sparking with anger and frustration. How dare she give him an ultimatum but he can't blame her really it's not Daisy's fault none of this.

Uncle Jesse leans up in his chair to look across Daisy at Luke

"Luke just rest ya eyes a little "

Luke sighs biting his tounge to keep from snapping at Uncle Jesse.

"I just can't...."

Daisy jerked slightly as Luke raised his voice at her and turned to look angrily and determindly at her. But she just fixed him an equally determined, gentle gaze, bringing her hand round to lay it along his clenched jawline, trying to calm her older cousins frying nerves and help to ease his emotional pain a little.

"Just cause your the oldest, don't make you exceptions to the rules. If I were like you right now what would you tell me to do?"

Luke looks at his hands slightly ashamed at snapping at Daisy she's only trying to get him to do what's best for his own health.

Sighs..."I'd do exactly what you did if it was you"

looks up with a slight smirk knowing Daisy really can't inforce her threat like he could due to their sizes

"Only when you pulled what I just did I'd just throw you over my shoulder and take ya home"

Daisly smiled gently back at Luke as she saw a small smirk pass across his face and the small glimmer that he always got in his eyes when he was teasing sparked back up.

"Exactly hunny, now if you won't listen to me, will you at least listen to yourself? How can you expect me to follow what you say when you don't follow your own advice yourself."

She sighed softly as she saw the determination pass across Luke's face again but hushed him before he could protest.

"Bein' awake is the same as bein' asleep to Bo right now. He don't know whether you are or not....just think, what would he say right now if he found you like this?"

Luke grins Daisy has him and he knows it but isn't ready to give up yet.

"Ok ok I get yur point I should listen to what I preach or in this case what I would preach." sighs "Bo'd tell me to get some sleep before I fell over,but that still don't mean I'd listen to 'im anymore than you."

Seeing a doctor coming there way Luke stills himself for whatever news may be coming their way.

Doctor McGee a grey haired doctor of about 50, having watched the young man pace and fidget reslessly for the past half and the young girl beside him try to convince him to rest decides to do something so walking toward them he stops in front of Luke holding out his hands one with a paper cup of water.

"Here take these"

Suspiciouly Luke asks "what is it?"

The doctor smiles not about to say that it's sleeping pills but the kid looks as if he's going to fall over if he doesn't rest.

"Only something to calm your nerves and relax you take them Doctor's orders"

Nodding Luke accepts the two yellow sleeping pills and water downing them quickly tossing the paper cup in the nearby trash.

Satisfied the young man will rest now the doctor turns to go see to another patient as his beeper sounds.

Luke's start to get heavy as the combination of it all starts to kick in,sinking further down in his chair to stretch his legs out in front of him.

mumbling "dang doctor drugged me"

gives one last yawn before he is sound asleep

Uncle Jesse smiles lovingly and with satisfaction,the worry lines are gone from the young man's face as he sleeps in peace. Looking over to Daisy still smiling as she continues to hum Luke's neck now being against the chair and hard to reach. whispers

"it's about time"

Daisy smiles as she hears Luke's mumble, laying his neck gently against the back of the chair as he fell deeper and deeper into sleep, stroking the hair away from his eyes soothingly, still humming to him as he finally closes his eyes, succumbing to everything.

She pressed a kiss gently to his forehead as the song finsihed and nodded at Uncle Jesse's comment, still gazing at her protective older cousin lovingly.

Alone again with his thoughts and worries Jesse watches the hands on the clock creep closer to the next visiting time. Soon another doctor can be seen aproaching.

"Beaureguard Duke"

Jesse stands extending his hand shaking hands with the doctor

"I'm Jesse Duke,Bo's uncle how is he?'

The doctor smiles but shakes his head

"I'm sorry Mr. Duke there's no real change he's still unconscienceous but there is some good news his fever has almost come back down to normal. We'll let you know if there's anymore change."

Jesse nods "Thankyou doctor we'd appreciate it."

After shaking hands again the doctor leaves and Jesse returns to his seat praying to his maker to further Bo's improvement and to give thanks for what little there has been. Looking over at Daisy and the sleeping Luke Jesse gives thanks for all his blessings.

Daisy looks up from Luke as the docter enters and smiles releived when she hears about some improvement. She gently leans over Luke, smoothing the hair away from his eyes and whispering

"Ya see, now that he senses you's sleepin' he's gettin' better."

Eventually, she tore herself away from her sleeping older cousin and curled up next to her Uncle, pulling his arm around her and drifitng gently off to sleep after whispering.

"Wake me up if they come back in again."

Luke never knows the doctor has been and gone or that Daisy has spoken.

Jesse nods and whispers "You know I will baby you just rest as much as you can."

Wrapping his arm protectively around Daisy and stretching the other over the chairs again to rest his other hand on Luke's shoulder Jesse continues the vigil in the silent waitingroom as his kids sleep.

Slowly, Daisy fell asleep listening to the sound of her Uncle's gentle breathing and the veiwing the image of her oldest cousin sleeping worry free. She felt safe now, and she felt like there was nothing that this family couldn't do. If they stuck together and believed, they could pull Bo through this she just knew it.

In the little ICU cubical where Bo Duke lay a nurse checked his vital signs and made notes on his char. Frowning she noted that his bloodpressure was still to high although not as high as it had been.

As Dr. Turner came into the cubical he looked at the chart the nurse handed him brows wrinkled when he sees the bloodpressure reading. "Nurse I want him given 10cc's of Trandate to bring his bloodpressure down."

The nurse nods "yes doctor" leaving the cubical she soon returns with a syringe containing the medication and puts it in the IV line that is only administering fluids.

Bo lay as still and as quiet as he had been for the past few hours as the nurses and doctor's checked him over, giving him more and more medication as things worsened and improved. He was happy here in darkness where nothing hurt him, where he wasn't worried about people overhearing him talk and where it was a guarenteed fact that not one of his family memebers could be harmed because he couldn't talk.

The doctor watches the monitor that is monitoring Bo's blood pressure well satisfied that it is steadily climbing to normal now. Looking over at the nurse he asks

"Has his blood sugar level been checked?"

At the nurses headshake he says

"I want it checked right away"

Again the nurse replies

"yes doctor"

Leaving the room to get a technician from the lab to draw some blood to run the test. Soon a technician comes in with a box containing syringes and blood sampling test tubes, inserting a needle in the the IV rather than making another puncture in the young man soon the tube is half filled with blood as the tech leaves to run the test. About ten minutes later the same nurse as before returns with a report handing it to the doctor. Reading it the doctor nods and looks back to the nurse.

"Just as I thought his level is too low and that is probably the most likely reason for the unconsciencnous,give him 30cc's insulin every 4 hours to raise it and things should begin to improve dramatically. I've got to go talk to the family again I'll be back to check on him in a few minutes.

Again the nurse leaves and soon returns with a syringe containing the insulin and again inserts it into the IV line administering fluids.

Daisy slowly opened her eyes as the cramp in her curled up legs jolted her from her sleep. She sat up, stretching her arms to see Luke still happily asleep and Uncle Jesse now asleep in his chair. She smiled at them both before standing up and stretching her long legs. She looked at the clock and found that there was only a half hour left until visitng times started again.

She thought about waking Luke, but decided that the drugs would probably soon wear off on their own and Luke would wake by himself. She wasn't even sure if she could get though to him anyway. She walked over to the water cooler just opposite the chairs in the waiting room and got herself a drink before leaning against the wall, slowly sipping it.