Tragedy in racing today in the IRL

Capt_Redneck

A very sad and emotional day in the world of auto racing....

30 year old Indy Car dariver Paul Dana lost his life in a horrific crash at Miami Homestead Speedway in the morning practice session for today's IRL race. I saw the accident on Speed and ESPNews and can't bear to watch something like that.

Paul Dana drove for Rahal/Letterman Racing and out of respect and tradition to the family and the sport , they have withdrew their 2 other cars - Buddy Rice and Danica Patrick. This will probably cost them a shot at a championship for missing the race, but it tells what is more important in life. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the team on doing this.

I love IndyCar probably more than NASCAR and this just reaffirms where someone's priotrities are. People are more important than the almighty dollar, although I am sure they got their sponsors permission to withdraw their entries. I was so looking forward to see Danica race and hopefully win. There are other races to watch later this year. And let's pray they are all safe.

I love racing. I might not like certain drivers and I do get mad when they win. BUT I do not or even wish for something like this to happen in any race or practice session or off-track.

Here is a link to an article that was just put on racingone.com

http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=27211

Let's keep it safe today boys........

Darrell

I was driving to the race (I live in Collier County, bordering Miami-Dade) when he crashed. When we got into the stands at around 2:30, they announced "After the tragic loss of Rahal-Letterman driver Paul Dana in practice, the other two team cars have decided not to race out of respect for the Dana family."

I was searching for an outlet for my need for speed after NASCAR started sucking, and I found it yesterday. In memory of Paul Dana, I will cheer for Rahal-Letterman Racing for the rest of the season.