RC General Lee 1:18 scale and 1:10 scale

We've had some buyers of the RC General Lees come forward with a couple of issues. The first of which being...replacement parts needed! And while I can find plenty of RC part suppliers online, I can't find parts specific to "Malibu International", the maker of the RC General Lee.

I don't know how feasible it is to swap out the wheels from an RC General Lee to any other RC wheels/tires. Check for a hobby store in your area or an RC racing club to make sure, before taking your RC General apart.

Meanwhile, in my quest for parts, I found a news brief that said Malibu Int'l will be making more RC General Lees. Originally they were in production for the 2005 Christmas season only, but apparently they will be re-announced at an upcoming Toy Fair in the east coast.

This is good news for anyone who hasn't already bought one and wants one. Bad news for anybody who hoarded some last Christmas and was hoping to turn a profit on ebay. Unload them now if you got 'em.

If anyone is desperate for replacement parts or other information that needs to come from the manufacturer, you can try contacting Malibu International at the following:

Malibu International, Ltd.

2456 Verna Court

San Leandro, CA 94577

I'll share more info as I find it.

fyi!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently bought the 1:18 scale RC with every intention of 'playing' with it lol still haven't yet my best friend's 2yr old daughter discovered the car was within her reach and turned the car on and when I started to give it a test drive the battery was dead and I haven't replaced it yet.

My older cousin is getting her nephew the smaller scale for his birthday I think. He was fascinated with my bigger one but only got to drive inside the house and hasn't been able to find one for himself. :wink: The poor kid is deprived cos he don't own an RC General Lee hopefully we can correct that soon.

B.L.

I don't know if anyone else has tried but the 1:18 scale General Lee jumps :D . My younger cousin and I took a sheet of plywood that my Dad had and propped it on a small stick of wood probably about a 3in jump in my driveway. It doesn't move in grass hardly at all but on a light layer of dirt it does pretty well :) .

B.L.

• 1 month later...

:)

Hi all

I have both the 1/18th & the 1/10th scale.

The 1/10 has a few quirks though. It appears as a "low rider" out fo the box. The rear suspension is easliy modified for clearance, the front however is a bit more of a challenge. Still working on that one. I need to figure out a way to drop the a-arms for the proper stance.

The horn is now integrated into the car, with button on remote (which is a plus) however is still plays the note set 3 times. I have yet to look ino the circuitry to figure out a relay or some other way of limiting to one set.

Also, I had to paint the inner rim area black to get the proper look, as they are all chrome. again, not hard.

If ya'll have any ideas on how to modify hte front suspension, feel free to leave me a msg.

Still a nice looking ride for the enthusiast!

Glen

• 1 year later...

Any details on that micro switch installed for the horn? I know this is an old thread, but I just bought the 1:10 version for my sons this Christmas. I love that Dixie horn, but this car plays the dang thing 3 times EVERY TIME THE CAR MOVES FORWARD. That means the horn is sounding almost nonstop. Anybody can get tired of that. I'm lucky I took it out of the box to "test it" and found this out. ;)

Now I'd like to figure out a way to modify it, without completely disabling the horn. It came with a "Try Me" box that plugs into the car, and the horn can be activated by button. But once that is disconnected for R/C use, the horn is only (and always) activated with forward movement as described above. I'd like to disable the forward movement "feature", and make the horn usable only with the plug-in push button box. Anyone else have this?

I currently have the body of the car mostly removed from the mechanical stuff, but looking at wire colors isn't helping know which one to snip. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I recently bought the RC and im guilty of trying to jump it:innocent: but when it breaks i think i'll either retire it back to the box or take the body off it and put on another RC. Problem Solvered. :D I have no idea what the scale is on it but i think it's slightly bigger then my 1:18 scale die cast model.

Man I wish thet had General Lees around here, I can't even get the 1:18 metal body General lee anymore.

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I was on...the microswitch only works on the 1:18 scale with seperate sound box. It is simply a shut off switch.

As for the larger 1:10 scale model, the horn should only sound when the button on the remote is pushed, not every time the car moves. Sounds like you may have a "bad" remote or something is faulty in the car wiring. As far as limiting it to only play once instead of 3 times, I had no luck.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the 1:18 scale and it broke took it apart and the drive wheel plastic broke onthe inside where it sits on the gear there is still some on there but not enough to hold it in place when i try to drive the care the gear just turns and the wheel barely turns. oh well will give me something to do on my time off work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I made my own 1/10 scale Radio Controlled General Lee using a 1/10 scale MRC Hammerhead Truck (goes on and off road) and painted a 1/10 Bolink 1969 Dodge Charger orange with the confederate flag on top and 01 on the doors.

I actually jumped a real car with this r/c General Lee and it landed perfectly.

• 11 years later...

I was about 3 years old when The Dukes of Hazzard first aired on TV and when I saw the General Lee, it was love at first sight. So, when I started building RC cars, I I was definitely going to make me a General Lee and I've made 4 of them so far. My latest build is the best one. I used the Kyosho 1970 Dodge Charger body and put correct looking and correct scale size decals on it. I've also got the ESS dual sound simulator on it with the 1969 Charger engine sound and of course, the Dixie horn.