NASCAR season 2006....

Capt_Redneck

Here we go again folks. Another season of NASCRAP's marketing juggernaut to corporate America.

This might be the last season that I actually want to watch the races. I am still in disbelief that a foreign car maker is about to enter the Cup series next year (2007). I under stand that is is putting the pressure on Cup teams to keep up with Toyota's money - which is the richest car maker in the world and they have TON's of money to throw around.

The "Car Of Tomorrow" will go forward in 2007 also, drastically changing the way bodies and aero packages will affect the competition. Also another "minor" change, NASCAR going to UNLEADED fuel in 2007, again changing the way the engines will be built and run.

The only good thing that I have heard about 2007 is the possibility of Kevin Harvick going to one of the Toyota teams as he is high on their wish list. That will open up the #29 Goodwrench seat which in very recent interviews that Dale Jr would still love to drive. It will go back to the Black # 3 Goodwrench Chevy driven by Dale Earhhardt Jr. - that brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Rumors have it that he is sort of unhappy about the way things have gone at DEI over the years since Big "E" 's death. Why would he have his own Busch team and find sponsorship for himself if he is a prt of DEI? Makes you wonder......

As far as 2006 ......

I am hoping Tony wins again as he is the BEST racecar driver of our generation - Indycars, midgets, sprints, stockcars...He has been compared to AJ Foyt by his peers an by AJ himself on an ESPN piece today.

Another team that I hope turns it around is Petty Enterprises. Having Bobbie Labonte driving the #43 is just what they needed to bring that car back to the front. I still say Kyle has a couple of more years left in him. Great move bringing back Robbiue Loomis to help run PE. Now they got the right talent to help make PE competitive on the track. I just hope PE doesn't stay in the past like they have been since King Richard retired. They got the right pieces to bring PE into the future...

Roush will be another great team as usual. I am still hoping Mark Martin goes out a champion (he will always be my sentimental favorite) , Mark deserves it more than anyone. Although if Edwards and Biffle and Kenseth are as strong as last year watch out.....

I am still not a fan of Kurt Busch. Maybe he will rub someone the wrong way , as usual, and get what's coming to him. Then again maybe he will grow up and learn his lesson from last year ...

As far as Hendrick Motorsports , I know they will do well . I am just hoping they don't . Never will like Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson....

Bud Shootout - Saturday Feb 11, 2006...........Let the fun begin

Darrell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news coming out of Petty Enterprises - #45 Kyle Petty is going to be sponsored for a few races by Schwan's (they were #49 Ken Schrader's sponsor last year). Looks like Kyle doesn't have to worry about a sponsor this year with Wells Fargo, Schwan's and possibly Coke's new soft drink each taking turns over the long season....

Got this off a racin' website I frequent...Pretty interesting commentary..

http://www.lastcowboys.com/GetContent.asp?ContentID=376

Junior to RCR fantasy becomes peppered with a little reality

By Clint Newlin

LastCowboys.com Staff Writer

If you tried hard enough, you could probably trace the origins of the “Dale Earnhardt Jr. Driving for Richard Childress†rumor back to February of 2001, or shortly after the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. Realistically speaking, it’s never had much of a leg to stand on. Junior made it clear early on that he was going to concentrate on his own Cup career rather than making the decision to live directly in his father’s shadow. But the comparisons to Junior and Senior and have never stopped and neither have the rumors.

In the past, the rumors have never amounted to much more than wishful thinking on the part of fans. However, what were once just rumors seem to (at the very least) now be an amalgam of fantasy and reality. If intentions count for anything, then you can say that Junior started the ball rolling when he admitted talking in an ‘unofficial’ capacity with Richard Childress recently about eventually driving the #3 Chevy made famous by his father. Now, Junior also stated that he wants to win more races and a championship for DEI before he makes such a move, but if the situation (e.g. an empty seat in the #29 car) presents itself, who is to say that he wouldn’t alter his plans and tell Richard to peel the #29 decals off and start replacing them with the #3? With Kevin Harvick rumored to be heading to Toyota and Red Bull Racing in 2007 and leaving the seat of the famous GM Goodwrench Chevy empty, major decision time may be just around the proverbial corner for Junior.

With the financial problems that the big three are having, and with GM Goodwrench now splitting their sponsorship with Reese’s, it seems pretty obvious that they (GM Goodwrench) could be on the verge of bailing if things don’t improve. If Harvick leaves for Red Bull Racing, putting some stop-gap driver in that car probably wouldn’t please the sponsors. It may now be the #29 car, but it’s still the #3 car underneath, and it means too much to Childress to just throw someone in there who doesn’t have the talent, drive, determination and personality to deserve it. Further, Childress has already bumped Bowyer up to Cup, so he has no ‘developed’ talent left in the wings to put in the car. It would have to be someone who is already in Cup. This wouldn’t be the kind of situation where you just grab some dude who’s lost a ride and use them simply because they’re available. This requires snagging a talented someone whose contract is up….and THAT limits the pool of applicants considerably. Now, if Junior’s contract with DEI is up at the end of 2006 as has been reported, and if Junior has another season like 2005, what’s stopping him from going back ‘home’ to RCR?

It’s funny…..when you wade through all the crap out there that attempts to find comparisons between Junior and his father, there’s not much there. They have the last name, and Junior speaks his mind much like his father did, but the comparisons pretty much end there. However, there is another similar quality that seems to be emerging. Senior, even though he owned DEI, chose to keep his business and his love of driving separate. Instead, Earnhardt let Ty Norris and others take the reigns and guide DEI to success. Now, that’s not to say that Earnhardt didn’t have a hand in all the major decisions….he was no idiot. And call it loyalty to a friend or whatever you whatever you choose….one would have to presume that a big reason for Earnhardt to continue driving for RCR was the fact that he could concentrate on doing what he loves….racing. That brings us to the disadvantage that Junior has driving for DEI. His #8 car will always be connected to that line that runs right through the shop, into the board room and right into Teresa’s office. And also feeding into that line, you have all the other distractions that seem to have defined DEI over the last few years. You have lack of compatibility, cooperation and communication within and among the teams, drivers, crew chiefs, etc. Sounds like fun, eh? At RCR, Junior could simply drive a car and let Childress worry about the rest, and it's obvious that Junior would rather have fun racing on the track as opposed to worrying about his father's company. There is a tremendous amount of respect and admiration between Childress and Junior, and I believe that driver/owner respect goes a long way in terms of translating to success on the track. I’m sure that Junior doesn’t hate Teresa (not that he would tell media even if he did), but it’s a totally different driver/owner relationship, and one that I don’t believe is working too well.

If money is of no consequence to Junior (and it shouldn’t be at this point), it shouldn't take much financially for Childress to lure him over. Pay him whatever DEI is paying him and save him the headache of driving for the company bearing his last name….that should be compensation enough. It’s likely too that Budweiser would go with Junior if he left. Hopefully some sort of compromise could be reached between GM Goodwrench and Budweiser if that were the case. That could be the hardest part of the whole deal to negotiate. For once, it wouldn’t be a lack of sponsorship troubling Childress….it would be sponsors fighting over space on the hood of the resurrected #3. They could always split it down the middle, letting the GM Goodwrench logo adorn the hood at Daytona (maybe have Bud on there for the Shootout and Twin races), Bristol, Indy, etc.

Admittedly, I am an armchair team owner with no inside knowledge of what is going on in the heads of all the players that would have to be involved for this deal to happen. But it seems like a win-win situation for everyone….well except for DEI. But if Truex Jr. could bring them success, it wouldn’t matter. From an ownership standpoint, it doesn’t matter what the driver’s name is….only that he wins races and the championship.

Suppose none of this is accurate. Suppose that this isn’t even close to happening like many of us hope. What then? If that’s the case, then I have the following proposal for Teresa Earnhardt, DEI, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Budweiser, Richard Childress, RCR, Kevin Harvick and GM Goodwrench….

Take one race (Daytona, Talladega or Bristol come to mind) and do some sort of cross marketing campaign which will not only light a fire in all DEI and RCR fans, but will set off one of the biggest die-cast sales of all time….for just one race….one measly, little race, have Junior run a black #8 car with the GM Goodwrench sponsorship, and have Harvick run a red #29 Budweiser car. It would be huge….bigger than the rest of the season itself. Why has this not been done? Why, why, why?!?!?!?

Got another VERY interesting little interview with Little "E" from Daytona Media Day....

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Daytona 500 Media Day, An interview with Dale Earnhardt Jr: some of the interview..in parts:

Q. Do you think people underestimate your commitment to making the company that your daddy built [DEI] into what he dreamed it could be?

A. Dale Jr: Yeah, I think so. I think people see -- you know, know what I want to do. I know I want to win a championship. I know I have sort of a vision of where I want to be at a certain age. But I don't look that far into the future and get specific. You know, I drive right off the hood. I look at where I'm at right now. I would love to drive the 3 on down the road, and Richard [Childress] knows that. I hate him talking about it, because I don't want to put it off on him, put any pressure on him or disrupt what he's trying to do with RCR to date. But he knows that. That's the extent of it. There's nothing more to it conversation-wise between me and him or anything. We've just made that clear to each other and dropped it.

Q. Would you like to take over at DEI? A. Dale Jr: I'd love to take over at DEI. Me and Teresa will talk about that when the time comes. We'll talk about that before the time comes obviously. That's not in the near future. I think JR Motorsports is a natural process of a company growing from one rank to the next, and it can go as far as it wants to go. I am not going to stop it at this level or that level. We'll just see however profitable. It don't even have to be profitable. If it breaks even, we'll keep on racing.

Q. Do you want to win a championship in the No. 3 car?

A. Dale Jr: I mean, I could do it. We could do it now, but that would be just kind -- that would be a phoney tribute if we did it now. It just wouldn't feel right. I think it's something we can do whenever we want. I really seriously got to take my career -- I got to take my career seriously right now. I can't be fooling around with tributes and feel-good stories all the time. You know, we got to get down to business and race. When that opportunity comes to have that chance, we'll do that. I think -- I don't think a lot of people are ready for it. It's not even than a option. When the time comes, we want to do it, we'll do it, have a little fun with it. No, I just want to be -- I want to win a race with Budweiser as my sponsor, with that 8 on the side, with Tony, Jr. as my crew chief.(GM Racing PR)(2-10-2006)

Hopefully we will get qualifying in for the DAYTONA 500 today and see the Bud Shootout later in the afternoon. I hated it that the rain pushed it back a day. BUT it is a day of RACIN'. Which is awesome since we are getting hit with a blizzard here on Long Island.

Here are my top 5 for the pole for the 500. Not that it matters since only the top 2 are locked into the 500 next Sunday. The rest will race in the Gatorade Duels - the 125 races Thursday to deteremine the rest of the starting order. Daytona has it's own qualifying procedure and is the only race to do it like this.

1. Dale Jr.

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Elliot Sadler

4. Dale Jarrett

5. Bill Elliott

Hopefully one of the Petty cars will be up there as both Kyle Petty adn Bobby Labonte were fast in the last practice. Tony Stewart may not qualify that high , but he will be a factor in the race.....

Just some ramblings on the day of qualifying....

Darrell

I hope Dale Jr's season is improved over last years. I think in a few years maybe next year Dale Jr will drive the black #3! It depends on how he does this season and if RCR keeps Harvick after his contract runs out. The only way I would want to see #3 back on the track is if it is black and Dale Jr. the driver right now.

One more day til the Daytona 500....YEEEHAAAWWW....Let's Go Racin' Boys...

I missed the Gatorade Duels ( the twin 150 races to determine the starting order of the 500 ) . I had an interview with my company's regional manager in NJ on Thursday regarding an opening in my company. I know I missed some good racin, except for #24 winning (GUARANTEED JG won't be so lucky in the 500)...I watched the replay on tape...

I am very hopeful Kyle Petty and Bobby Labonte will run good in the 500 as they ran well in the Duels. Tony Stewart ( My favorite ) will be good as usual. Elliott Sadler is the man to beat come Sunday. I thin he is long overdue to win a restrictor plate race, hopefully he won't crossing the finish line upside down as he done a couple of times in his career.

Another random thought - today Feb 18 marks the 5th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash on the last turn of the last lap of the Daytona 500. I still can remember that day and that scene like it just happened. It was and will always be the worst day in NASCAR. I grew up watching him race. He will never be replaced. He is a legend. He is THE MAN.....

Let's go racin' , boys......and keep it safe

Darrell

I thought the whole race was ok. Althrough out of my 15 favorite drivers, one of mine did win. I still wish it could have been Dale Jr, but that is ok.

In honor of the Daytona 500, and the offical start of Nascar yesterday. Can someone please upload a commerical for me?

It was the one where Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr and Tony Stewart sitting around a table congradulating each other and then pours champane (sp?) over their heads.

Could someone please upload that for me?

Susan

Alright now......

Disappointed with the 500. Any Hendrick cars are my least favorite. The season is just starting so it will be interesting .

As far as the penalties handed out during the week for the qualifying violations- Terry Labonte losses 25 driver and owner points and Chad Knauss(Jimmie Johnson) gets suspended for 3 more races adn $25,000 fine- makes me wonder where NASCRAP has their heads.....How could one lose points but not the other. Should be more even handed, but this NASCRAP and up to THEIR way....

California this weekend .....I could care less about this track since it has the Rockingham date and the Southern 500 dates. Just read my rants in my Nascar 2005 thread about that...Just hope it is a good clean race.

Let's go racin' boys...

Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

First weekend without a Cup event ...

I love the Busch/Grand National racing , BUT in NO WAY like the Mexico race. Of all places , Mexico?. Come on now. I know this is the direction NASCRAP is going for the future. Doesn't mean I have to like it or watch it .

We got Las Vegas coming up this weekend. I have a few buddies who are going. i was going but had to back out since my promotion at work and finding someone to take my place was easier than I thought. So I guess I have to sit home and watch it . My wife is VERY, VERY happy about that ( I wonder why)...

Darrell

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, I seen all racing there from Daytona to Altanta but I did watch last sunday racing but it was cancel of rainy in Altanta and did any hear one driver win? I miss it on monday or tuesday about Khane? I not sure remember which driver just win after cancel rainy in Altanta. let me know about it and yeah next sunday was on March 26 Food City 500 in Bristol speedway.. this weekend thanks. 8)

I tivo'ed the race Monday because of work.

Great to see Kyle Petty have his car up there at the end. Bobby Labonte had the crowd going crazy when he brought the King's 43 to the lead at the beginning of the race. Unfortunately the 43 had some mechanical problems, but I still think that Petty Enterprises is heading back to their rightful place ( in front ).....

On to Bristol for some good ol' short track racin'. Get ready for some beating and banging. I am sure Tony Stewart will settle his differences with Kyle Busch ON the track this weekend, the time for talking stops now..

I'm gone

Darrell

A very sad and emotional day in the world of auto racing....

30 year old Indy Car dariver Paul Dana lost his life in a horrific crash at Miami Homestead Speedway in the morning practice session for today's IRL race. I saw the accident on Speed and ESPNews and can't bear to watch something like that.

Paul Dana drove for Rahal/Letterman Racing and out of respect and tradition to the family and the sport , they have withdrew their 2 other cars - Buddy Rice and Danica Patrick. This will probably cost them a shot at a championship for missing the race, but it tells what is more important in life. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the team on doing this.

I love IndyCar probably more than NASCAR and this just reaffirms where someone's priotrities are. People are more important than the almighty dollar, although I am sure they got their sponsors permission to withdraw their entries. I was so looking forward to see Danica race and hopefully win. There are other races to watch later this year. And let's pray they are all safe.

I love racing. I might not like certain drivers and I do get mad when they win. BUT I do not or even wish for something like this to happen in any race or practice session or off-track.

Here is a link to an article that was just put on racingone.com

http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=27211

Let's keep it safe today boys........

Darrell

Typical Bristol race.....

Gotta love the finish. Although I am NOT a fan of the Keebler Elf, he ran a clean race and did what he had to do to win. Would have been nice if it was Rusty still driving his hot rod though. I am starting to like Kenseth more and more every week. It is about time Kenseth has showed some emotion.

Jeff Gordon got what he deserved. He had a few bumps during the race to move drivers out of the way. Particualry #1 Martin Truex Jr when he spun him out. But that was OK for ol' Gordo to do right? BS. When it was done to him what did he do? His usual whine and then a push when Kenseth came to talk and apologize to him. Did Gordo ever go adn try to apologize to Truex or even say it over his radio communications during the race?.....That is exactlly why I am not a fan of his. He does it to others , but when it is done to him he is in the wrong....BS..

Next week at Martinsville , Stewart and Harvick will be battling for the win along with Elliott Sadler. That is my prediction.

At least it was safe race

I'm gone

Darrell

What an awesome race! I agree that Jeff Gordon should have held his temper and cooled off, but going from the top five to finish 21st would make anyone a little hot under the collar. In the interviews after the race Kenseth even said he should have waited a while instead of going up to Jeff right as he got out of his car.

I can't wait, a month from now I'll be at Talladega cheering Jr and Edwards on (along with several others :D ). And then a month after that its on to Charlotte! YeeeeeeHaawwwwww!!! Let's go racin'!!!!

I watch Bristol Speedway on tv on sunday afternoon and have nice watch lot bang and spinning.. and last final lap I see Jeff almost mad at Matt for bumper for final lap.. then Kurt won in #2 after Jeff get spinning by matt bumper back.. that interesting for him. Yes I see Jeff try make Matt mad each temper cool off.. Next Sunday in Martinville Speedway again watch so well..

Yeah I hear about rookie just die in practice crash in Indy Car but I not watch Indy Car racing lot myself.. I think they would cancel racing for them? for next week? I just want know thanks. :wink::)

Martinsville today.....

Here we go again another round of beatin' and bangin'. These drivers won't forget last week or even last year. They will settle it on the track , short track style.

To me this is the best time in racing, short tracks. Back where they came from, the bullrings acrosss the South and America. I love Talladega and Daytona to death , but it is a different style where the car and aero and horsepower is most important. Short tracks require DRIVING and bumpin', remember rubbin' is racin'...

I miss North Wilkesboro as a short track NASCRAP droppped. We have 6 short track races now ( Bristol 2, Martinsville 2, Richmond 2 ) and that might drop next year. Rumor has it that Martinsville will drop 1 race and Las Vegas will gets it's second race - Martinsville's fall race in the so-called Chase...

Let's keep it sasfe boys

Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

I just watch Martinsville speedway and see Tony win as well.. that good so and also I watch Texas speedway and it was good racing... Khane won it.. #9 did pass Tony ago.. did any seen it? it good racing long way.. and few crash.. not bad as much right now.. any one watch good time on Texas speedway last sunday? thanks. :wink::)