"Tales of Christmas"

Chet Duke

** The title is pretty much self explanitory, but for those of you who would like specifics. This is a topic that I made for people to post there small lil' memories or Christmas stories. Ya know, the short lil' ones that don't seem to make there way into full fledged story form. So weather its a thought that crosses your mind or alil something of Christmas sorts that you'd like to share, fiction or true memory share it with us all if you would please. Hazzard County has seemed alittle depressing for some these past few months, so heres all of our chance to share some Christmas cheer. Thanks ya'll...an Merry Christmas to all. ~Chet Duke & Author Dee.**

“A Forgotten Smileâ€

Chet Duke slide from the window of his white Dodge Charger an his cow hide cowboy boots touched the dry asphalt. He looked all around the town square, taking in the hustle an bustle of each person. A chilled air blew against the back of his Carhart jacket an he adjusted the collar an began towards the corner store. His tall lanky frame dressed in faded blue jeans an he tucked his hands in his pockets to keep them warm.

Chet’s beautiful wife Amanda had sent him out with a small list of things that she needed from the store to finish her holiday baking. So here he was at the corner store, he entered pausing to hold the door for an older women that he knew from the bank. Chet smiled an tipped his hat to her as he held the door.

“Merry Christmas mam’, have ya a happy new year too.â€

The older women trudged on ahead with an wrinkle of displeasure in her old crooked nose as it pointed toward the sky. The young Duke creased his brow at her obvious displeasure towards the holiday cheer that he had greeted her with. Chet sighed an carried on with his task, taking out the carefully folded shopping list from his pocket.

Milk

Eggs

Bread

Sugar

Butter

He nodded reading the list an walked around the small store, gathering each item as he did so. He picked up a gallon of milk from the cooler section, an a cautious looking women dressed in dirty, raggedly clothes bumped into him an quickly apologized.

“Oh, I’m sorry†She said clutching the small 1/4th gallon of milk to her chest, she looked at the tall cowboyish looking Duke boy.

Chet smiled at her an tipped his hat then creased his brow afraid that yet again someone would be scolding towards his Christmas cheer. But she only smiled in return making brief eye contact with his dark mismatched eyes. But she didn’t notice that he was any different from anyone else an only smiled in return.

“Merry Christmas.†She said before he could get a word out, she bustled away in her soggy old wholesome boots.

The Duke boy watched her a moment then mentally shrugged an gather the cooled groceries on his list. Once he had finally made sure he had everything on his list he took them to the single register an stood in the short line. The ragged looking women stood in line in front of him, an as the male cashier rang up her milk she took a hand full of change from her pocket.

Chet raised his eyebrow at the few coins in her hand, even that much would not be enough for a single carton of milk. He looked down at her carton of milk an back at his own groceries, an without barely thinking he pushed his forward an nodded to the cashier.

“Ring em’ up.†Chet said placing his hand on the shoulder of the women as she looked back at him.

The cashier looked at Chet somewhat surprised an swallowed, he knew Chet an had known him. His reputation as a rough, mean tempered outlaw had never slipped the cashiers mind for a moment. Wordlessly he rang up the orders an the cash register total showed up on the screen.

The Duke boy counted out the money an it was deposited into the register, he took his change an placed it in the warm empty hand beside him. He picked up the bag of groceries an carried them to the door an paused then passed them to the ragged women before him. Tears wailed up in her eyes an she put her arm around his shoulders an embraced him gently.

“Thank you....thank you... my children will not go hungry on Christmas.†She clasped his hand in hers still bubbling in happy tears. “Thank you...â€

Chet only nodded with a sideways smile that he was accustomed to an walked away from her, disappearing down one of the isles of the grocery store before she could say another word. She stood for a moment watching him go, wishing silently that she knew his name. Then it occurred to her that his name was not nodded, an it was clear that he did not expect anything in return. Her smile had been enough, the silent joy in her teary eyes had been all the Duke boy had wanted to see.

Not long after, Chet returned to his ranch home where his pregnant wife awaited him. His heart felt refreshed an even more full of joy then it had before his simple trip to the grocery store.

THE END

• 2 years later...

Lizzy looked up as the sleet began pounding the asphalt outside her father's garage.

"Come on Dad you promised the Dukes you'd be at their place in half an hour. Go wash up and I'll take care of stuff in here."

"Lizzy you don't have to do that." Cooter answered.

"Of course I don't but it's Christmas Dad, you promised them so go along and I'll finish off this cruiser for Boss."

"It's Christmas Eve Lizzy you shouldn't be working either."

"You know why we have to and I'm not going to argue with you about it. Go on. I'll be fine. It'll take about another 15 minutes I promise I'll be there before the turkey's done."

"Fine." Cooter leaned over and kissed the top of her head before heading out to his truck. "BE CAREFUL." He hollered back inside before driving off. Cooter knew Lizzy was way to stubborn to allow Cooter to finish the Crown Vic, especially not when it was Christmas so he finally gave in.

Lizzy slowly worked on the cruiser praying that her dad arrived at the Duke farm quickly and didn't get stuck out in this nasty weather. When Lizzy finished the car she put her tools away, locked up the garage doors and then headed for the office where after shutting off the lights and locking the door behind her she finally made it to her car.

The 'Mouse,' was waiting patiently for her as always, her forest green 69 Charger had been her faithful friend since she repaired it at 15. Sliding through the window on the driver's side she started the engine and wound her way through the county.

It had been a while since she had been back in Hazzard and she couldn't believe how much it hadn't changed. Lizzy was drawn out of her thoughts as her headlights landed on a black Pontiac Safari sitting on the side of the road. An elderly man was standing next to it shivering and looking to be lost and confused.

Lizzy pulled over behind the man's car and slowly walked up to him.

"Excuse me sir is there anything I can do to help you?" Lizzy asked laying a hand on his arm.

"My tire, I think it may be flat." The man answered.

"Okay, do you have a spare sir?"

"It's in the trunk." Lizzy walked around the car and noticed that his right front tire was indeed flat. She walked back to his trunk and pulled out the spare but noticed he didn't have a tire iron or a jack. "Sir why don't you go ahead and have a seat in my car it'll get you out of the weather. I'll have your tire changed in no time." The man nodded and walked back to the 'Mouse', before climbing into the passenger seat.

Before too long the spare was on and Lizzy was back talking to the man.

"What do I owe you for the change?"

"Not a thing. It's in my blood. I can't help but stop for someone with car problems."

"I honestly owe you something. I refuse not to pay you."

"Just promise me you'll help out the next person you can."

"That I can do. We need more people like you around. Young kids today just aren't what they used to be." He muttered.

"Do you want me to make sure you get home ok? Or will you be fine by yourself?"

"I'll be fine thank you so much."

"Absolutely. Merry Christmas sir." Lizzy smiled and watched as he drove off slowly. She smiled softly and then drove on to the Duke place.

"Lizzy you made it." Luke said when she came in the door.

"Of course I did you guys have the best Christmas turkey in the county." Lizzy answered.

"Well Cooter said you'd be here before the turkey was done and when you weren't we got a little worried." Bo said. "Did something happen?"

"Yeah, a little old man about 6 foot, kinda fail-looking, driving a beat up black Pontiac Safari had a flat tire. It's in my blood to help and with the weather being what it was I had to stop and help." Lizzy answered. She sat down on the arm of the couch next to Cooter and rested her arm on his shoulder.

"Well then how about some carols while we wait for the stuffing and mashed potatoes?" Jesse said.

Slowly that Christmas progressed with presents for all and even a couple of tires and a free tune up to the Johnson's who Lizzy had helped.

Lizzy Jackson-Davenport