Don't buy the DVD

I want to apologize for being a part of this uproar on this topic. I have NOT or will NOT personally attack or call someone names. I don't do that as it is not my nature here or in real life. Like Brian posted , my remarks were meant in general , not directly at someone.

I will continue to defend this movie as I am in the minority on HNet that thinks this movie was a good but different Dukes representation. I will continue to question and push people about why they don't like the movie and such. I will continue to add a bit sarcasm to my posts but that is done in good fun. I won't apologize for that.

As far as boycotting this thing, it is your God given right. I have stated my opinion and so have some other people on that and won't back down from it. I can't see comparing boycotting a DVD to boycotting the King Of England ( Taxes, self-representation, etc ) and the Confederecy ( states rights, free trade, etc) as they are on totally different levels. This is more on the lines of when Coke changed their formula in the early 80's, some people loved the new coke but they changed the original ( I wonder where I heard that before) ...

I'm gone

Darrell

I will accept the apology but for future reference it is not wise to suggest someone or group to leave because you consider their opinion to be whining or moaning in your opinion.Not a way to promote new or current membership. I've been here since 2001 and didn't want to leave.

That is still my opinion of what to do of the constant complaining of the movie and now the DVD. That will never change. Maybe it should have been phrased better like "Leave the complaining and moaning about the same old thing at door".......Is that a better way of putting it?

I'm gone

Darrell

The anti-movie people could say the same thing about you pro-movie people.Maybe we are tired of the constant support of it so you could leave that at the door as well.Tit for tat.The point is we have our own opinions on the subject. We can probably think of as many reasons not to support as you can to support it. Just respect each others opinions.There maybe no right or wrong to either side.Why don't we just drop it here and move on.

The anti-movie people could say the same thing about you pro-movie people.Maybe we are tired of the constant support of it so you could leave that at the door as well.Tit for tat.The point is we have our own opinions on the subject. We can probably think of as many reasons not to support as you can to support it. Just respect each others opinions.There maybe no right or wrong to either side.Why don't we just drop it here and move on.

Hell NO...........As I am in the minority, as you say, of the PRO movie, there aren't many PRO movie threads as there are ANTI movie ones. And I am sure there will others that will post the same old complaints (cast, spirit, not like the TV show or the Dukes they grew up with, blah, blah blah) ...Someone has to be the counter voice around here....Tit for Tat

You know what - the cast was chosen , the script was written, the movie was made, the movie made money - the movie is called " THE DUKES OF HAZZARD " ....And there is nothing you can do about that ....

I'm gone

Darrell

You know, I think that the movie would have possibly done better had they called it something else. While the movie did make money, it didn't make it to the $100,000,000.00 mark until it was released internationally. In my opinion, a big-screen version of 'The Dukes of Hazzard' should have easily surpassed the $100,000,000.00 mark in the United States alone. While I did enjoy certain aspects of the movie, overall, I didn't like it very much.

"Capt. Redneck", you did make a viable point. The cast was indeed chosen. A script was written and the film did make (some) money. However, I'm afraid that this movie did more harm than it did good for 'The Dukes of Hazzard' francise. Sure, I realize like many others that the original series wasn't Shakespeare, but still, a really good big-screen adaptation could have been made. Warner Bros. just had the wrong people behind this big-screen adaptation.

In spite of the box-office disappointment and bad reviews, I think that the dvd sales for the new movie will be pretty good, especially since Jessica Simpson is in the spotlight again with the breakup of her marriage. We'll see.

GADuke01

I enjoyed the new movie for the most part, now I don't think it was the best they could have done but I think if the Dukes of Hazzard was set in todays time it would have been more inline with the new movie than the tv show. So I have ask for it for a Christmas present. If I don't get it I will buy it when I can, along with season 5 of DOH.

Boycotts never work, so you might as well just buy it if you want it (and certainly don't pirate it).

WB made the movie because of the ongoing success of the series. Then the movie didn't do as well as they had hoped, and even the actors are not really wanting to do a sequel. At this point, we can only hope the the suits in charge at WB figure out why it didn't measure up.

If the brainless suits at DCX can bring back the Challenger (we'll see), then anything can happen, maybe Warner Bros will do the same and get it right next time. Personally, I'd make another Dukes movie right now, completely disregarding the '05 fiasco. Call it "Dukes of Hazzard: Warner Bros.' Redemption."

I find it weird that fans were happy to see something "different." Yeah, they shouldn't clone an episode when looking for a story line, but they SHOULD have at minimum given us the characters we expect in something called "The Dukes of Hazzard." As far as I'm concerned, this movie had no Boss Hogg, or Rosco.

And to the people who say "There is no market for family films (or two-door cars)," there will always be such a market. Everyone loves a movie that makes you feel good, and people are hungry for a story that restores their faith in humanity, even in works of fiction (since storytelling is a form of expression). The teenagers and adults who feel that debauchery and crime are essential for a good story are a small percentage of the population, and even those people secretly prefer a feel-good story (like the series, not like a cheesy Disney flick).

I broke down yesterday and spent $2.50 to rent the new"Dukes" movie. First of all, two minutes into the show my wife began to really not like it. Ten minutes into it, she stopped watching and went into the other room to watch tv. I probably should have taken her advice and turned it off as well, but I decided that I'd already spent the rental fee and I was going to finish it. I really wanted to give this movie a chance. I thought maybe my first impressions might have been misplaced and I really just need to give the movie a shot, but I was severely dissappointed. Not only is this movie NOT the Dukes of Hazzard, if it didn't have the General Lee(if you can call it that in this movie), it wouldn't resemble the Dukes in any way shape or form. There was no charm to this movie at all. You can call cow poop fertilizer maybe to make it sound a little better, but when it comes down to it, it's still cow poop. I will not own this movie and I will not recommend it to anyone else. Sorry for those of you who loved it, but really ask yourself if it's really worth having a movie called the Dukes of Hazzard if all they really ended up doing was trash the orginal. Is it really worth seeing characters you grew up loving treated with such disrespect? It honestly pained me to see Willie Nelson talk like that as Uncle Jesse. I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but please consider my point of view. Do any of you really believe this has helped the Dukes of Hazzard in any way? I didn't see one thing in this movie that set it above the original. The simple fact that half of the stunts were sling shot effects cheapened it that much more. Big deal if they did some drifting around a circle. That doesn't hold a candle to the stuff they pulled off on the original show. I will admit it did have some good camera work around the car. I really just wish they would have called this movie something else. The great thing about this movie is though that it's made me love the original even more. Honestly, when I really think about it, I'm glad I watched to new movie. It's made me appreciate just how much I truely love the original show. It's given me a greater sense of pride that I am an origianl fan that grew up on what this movie tried to be and failded miserably at. I can watch John and Tom and say thank God they didn't act like "Jackass" and "Stifler". I can watch Uncle Jesse be the true patriarch and moral authority of his family that he is. I can laugh at the bumbling antics of a childish sheriff and county commisoner with a lighthearted spirit knowing that deep down, they are really good people. I can watch the General Lee with pride because of what hereally stands for and was made for. Unlike the movie version that for whatever reason, the General Lee just happened by accident. These are the great things that I'm proud of as a fan of the original Dukes of Hazzard and they are no where to be found in this movie and it's truely sad and unfortunate.

Cedar I agree 110% with everything you said but somebody is going to say you didn't watch it with an open mind or what were you expecting a carbon copy of the show or the first 5 episodes weren't far from this movie. In other words you expected bad and thats all you saw.As I said I agree with you but expect those arguments.

Cedar I agree 110% with everything you said but somebody is going to say you didn't watch it with an open mind or what were you expecting a carbon copy of the show or the first 5 episodes weren't far from this movie. In other words you expected bad and thats all you saw.As I said I agree with you but expect those arguments.

Now TimDuke who do expect to hear all that from? :wink:

I'm gone

Darrell

"Cedar_Creek_Duke", you really made some good points. I saw the "unrated" version of the movie on Friday night . To say the least, I get ticked everytime I think about the film and how a good opportunity to make a good movie was wasted. Nothing about the movie even resembled 'The Dukes of Hazzard'. Although I've never seen Gy Waldron's original film 'Moonrunners', a friend of mine's dad said that he thought they should have called this new movie 'Moonrunners' because the film resembled that movie more than it did 'The Dukes of Hazzard' series. Overall, this new movie did absolutley nothing for the 'Dukes' franchise.

Maybe we should all email the film's producer, Bill Gerber, and let him know how we feel about the movie. In all of the interviews that I've seen him do, he always talks about being a fan of the original series and growing up with the show. Well, if that's the case, why in heck did he stand around and allow somehing so degrading to the orignal series be made? He was the procuder.

GADuke01

Hey 'fonzi242004", I'm aware that Gy Waldron used 'Moonrunners' as his inspiration for 'The Dukes of Hazzard'. I've just never had the opportunity to see the film. My friend's dad actually saw when it was originally shown in theatres back in the '70s. He told me last night that when he saw the '05 'Dukes' movie back in September, he immediately saw a resemblence to Waldron's original 'Moonrunners'.

GADuke01

• 2 months later...