Dukes of Smallville - Better than movie

Ok, in 10 minutes on tonight's Smallville episode, the on-screen reunion of John and Tom proved a number of things:

1) They were never "too old" to be in the Dukes movie - life doesn't end at 30 after all

2) They had more chemistry between the 2 of them, then the entire movie cast

3) It didn't matter that the Charger wasn't orange

4) Yes, they can act

5) John's still the better driver

6) The Smallville episode paid more true homage to the spirit of the Dukes of Hazzard than anything the movie gave us

7) WB does have decent writers - where the hell were they during the Dukes movie script?

8 Plaid shirts are still " in "

9) Tom can still climb through car windows and make it look graceful

10) They're still the good ol' boys

Thank you, Smallville ! For a few minutes, we saw what could have been and what SHOULD have been - in the Dukes movie.

Brian

I really enjoyed the episode! They did an excellent job incorporating "Hazzard" some of the references were so subtle that you might have to be a die-hard fan to pick them up - but it was really a great show!

I even liked the fact that there was a more "traditional" bad guy - not a mutant freak.

It was wonderful seeing Tom and John together again! They still got it. :)

LS3

I thought this episode was great. I loved each and every reference to the Dukes and wish there had been more. The way Jack Jennings left after putting the thought out there that good ol' boy Jonathon Kent should run for the Senate was awesome. Although I wish he didn't have to leave. :cry: Does anyone think this gathering of the great ones will ever happen again?

For one thing, I refused to watch the movie. I didn't want a bad taste in my mouth when I think of the Dukes of Hazzard. I choose to remember the Dukes for what it was and what it meant to me when I was young. Afterall, isn't that what makes it great? It's not a show that most people remember as anything but what it was and it was a good, clean family show. Why ruin that? People don't look back on the Dukes and think about pollitics, controversy, or anything else that was going wrong in the late 70's and 80's. We look back and think of how much fun we had and the entertainment it brought to us who loved it when it was new. The Dukes doesn't capture a period of time in history like shows such as Andy Griffith or Leave it to Beaver. Shows like that are somewhat of an outdated glimpse of what life was like back then to a certain extent and probably a little exagerated. The Dukes is more of a reflection of an ideal, a spirit or way of life rather than a period of time. It was the spirit that they stood for something and to me that's an idea that's never outdated. They believed in morals, family, God and each other. That's how I choose to remember the Dukes. That's why I don't care to see the movie. To me, just being able to see the General fly again wasn't enough. Without morals, family, God and each other, the General is only running on 6 cylinders. For what it is, the movie may be an ok film. But it's NOT the Dukes of Hazzard. Smallville proved that to me last night. Smallville isn't the Dukes either, but for a few minutes, I was back in "Hazzard County" and it was great. I enjoyed every second. Some people really believe it was the General that made the show, and to an extent it had a lot to do with the popularity, but honestly, does anyone else other than John and Tom fit behind the wheel of that Charger? No. Coy and Vance proved that back then and for the sake of trying to milk as much money as they can out of the how we feel about the TRUE Dukes of Hazzard, they tried to do it again without our heros. TRUE Dukes fans are a family. We're all Dukes cousins. That's what made the show special and that's why just anything dressed in "Dukes" clothing doesn't make it special. You can't replace your childhood heros and why bother trying? Thank you Smallville for a little spirit of the TRUE Dukes of Hazzard.

• 2 weeks later...
For one thing, I refused to watch the movie. I didn't want a bad taste in my mouth when I think of the Dukes of Hazzard. I choose to remember the Dukes for what it was and what it meant to me when I was young. Afterall, isn't that what makes it great? It's not a show that most people remember as anything but what it was and it was a good, clean family show. Why ruin that? People don't look back on the Dukes and think about pollitics, controversy, or anything else that was going wrong in the late 70's and 80's. We look back and think of how much fun we had and the entertainment it brought to us who loved it when it was new. The Dukes doesn't capture a period of time in history like shows such as Andy Griffith or Leave it to Beaver. Shows like that are somewhat of an outdated glimpse of what life was like back then to a certain extent and probably a little exagerated. The Dukes is more of a reflection of an ideal, a spirit or way of life rather than a period of time. It was the spirit that they stood for something and to me that's an idea that's never outdated. They believed in morals, family, God and each other. That's how I choose to remember the Dukes. That's why I don't care to see the movie. To me, just being able to see the General fly again wasn't enough. Without morals, family, God and each other, the General is only running on 6 cylinders. For what it is, the movie may be an ok film. But it's NOT the Dukes of Hazzard. Smallville proved that to me last night. Smallville isn't the Dukes either, but for a few minutes, I was back in "Hazzard County" and it was great. I enjoyed every second. Some people really believe it was the General that made the show, and to an extent it had a lot to do with the popularity, but honestly, does anyone else other than John and Tom fit behind the wheel of that Charger? No. Coy and Vance proved that back then and for the sake of trying to milk as much money as they can out of the how we feel about the TRUE Dukes of Hazzard, they tried to do it again without our heros. TRUE Dukes fans are a family. We're all Dukes cousins. That's what made the show special and that's why just anything dressed in "Dukes" clothing doesn't make it special. You can't replace your childhood heros and why bother trying? Thank you Smallville for a little spirit of the TRUE Dukes of Hazzard.

I can't agree with you more 8)