The Great Unknown

Jeffery Duke grinned to himself as he strolled down the main street of Hazzard, enjoying the smiles and waves he recieved. "Howdy Jeffery!" Mrs. Blubuttin, his old high school algebra teacher. He smiled and waved, "Hello Ma'am!". "Jeff! There you are!!" a femine voice called out from behind him. Jeff stopped in his tracks, his face wrinkled as he tried to find a face to put to the voice.

Jeff's eyes widened as he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Jeffery..." The soft voice whispered in his ear. He could feel her breath on his face. Who the hell is that?? He thought. His mind rattled through the possibilites. It wasn't his mother, or any of his aunts, wasn't his cousin, or his sister. Jeff continued to ponder, he didn't have a girlfriend, and he hadn't been on any dates recently.

Just turn around an you'll see who it is..He told himself, But I dun wanna turn around... "Jeffery!!" The voice called out again, bringing Jeff out of his trace. "Uh..um.." He cleared his throat, "Yes?" He heard a soft giggle and she spoke again, "Turn around..." He didn't want to turn around, he wanted to run, he didn't know why, but he just did. "Turn around!" The voice lost some of it's softness.

Jeff shook his head, "I dun wanna!" He started to walk again, hoping she would go away, who ever she was. He heard the clicking of her heels on the sidewalk as she tried to keep up. Being 6'4", Jeff's strides were long and fast, carrying him short didstances with little effort. Now, where the hell can I go? She's gonna follow me. Wait. Jeff paused his thoughts as he slowed his pace, there is a woman with a soft gentle touch and a voice to match desperatly trying to catch you, why the hell are you walking away? Stop thinkin like that, that's how Bailey thinks! You've been spending way to much time with that jerk. He dunno how to treat women right...dun wanna pick up any bad habits from him! Jeff wrestled with his inner self trying to decide what to do.

(okay here ya go! Anybody wanna write this lady?? Who the heck is she, I wanna know too!! A friend, an ex-lover, a distant admirer, a stalker??? An please ask for permission if ya wanna use others characters!)

"Jeffery! Wait! Just turn around!" she exclaims, trying to catch up with his long strides without breaking her neck on her high heels. "You have to listen to me! Just stop, please!!!" Sensing that he seemed to be slowing down, she keeps up her pace until she is within a few feet from this tall boy.

"Listen to me, please?" She gasps, out of breath. "My name's Mira. You don't know me, but hopefully we can change that. I have to tell you something so very important." She flips slightly grayed, dark brown hair over her shoulder and narrows her light blue eyes. "But I'm not going to tell you unless you face me Jeffery. And this is something I know you'll want to know."

(Cue Anyone)

Jeff raised an eyebrow, what could she possibly have to say that's so important? He asked himself. However he felt his strides slowing, his feet became stationary. He took a deep breath and slowly turned on the heel of his dusty black boots.

His deep blue eyes stared down at this woman. His face was wary, but still soft and friendly. He smiled trying to figure out what was going on, "How do you know who I am?" He waited and shook his head, "No...what is so important that you hafta tell me now??" He shook his head agian and stratched his head under his wavy brown hair. What is goin' on? He repeated the words to himself over and over.

(cue anyone)

"Hello Jeffery. It's so nice to meet you face to face after all of these years." Mira returned his friendly smile with a gentle one of her own. She looked over every inch of him, taking in every detail especially his facial features.

"I've known about you for a very long time, but I didn't know your name or exact whereabouts until very recently. We've lost so much time together that I want to make up for now." Mira smiles again and reaches out a hand to him, but lets it drop to her side quickly. "I'm Mira Finnigan, and..." she takes a deep breath trying to get a hold of her nervousness and excitement before continuing. "I think I'm your biological mother." she finishes with a rush. She looks into his eyes expectantly, waiting for his reaction to her news.

(cue anyone)

Jeff's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in complete and utter shock. He looked down at the woman in front of him and shook his head, "I'm sorry, but that's not possible. Sure you're lookin' for Jeffery Duke?"

Dad would never...I mean it just ain't possible. He thought to himself and continued to stare down at the stranger. "You must have me confused with someone else. Excuse me." Jeff turned on the heel of his boot and headed straight for the blue Plymouth. Gotta get outta here, he told himself. Jeff's long legs carried him quickly to the Fury, a restored patrol car of Rosco's, thanks to Cooter. Jeff quickened his pace and jumped up and into the open car window. He started the engine with a roar and peeled away from the square, tires smoking and leaving a thick line of rubber on the pavement.

Jeff raced through town, expertly turning corners in smooth 90 degree slids like his father and uncle had taught him. No way...not possible. He told himself again. It wasn't long before Jeff heard the whine of the Sherrif's sirens on his tail, blue lights flashing brightly.

"Just great! That's perfect...way to ruin a perfectly good day!" He shouted to no one but himself as he pressed the gas pedal down to the floor. Rosco's voice crackled over the radio angrily, "Jeffery Duke! Pull it over! I'm gonna git ya!!" Jeff shook his head and picked his own radio up, "Rosco...you ain't never caught me yet, besides I wasn't breakin no law!" The sherrif laughed to himself, "You was speeding, drivin' wrecklessly, an dishturbin' the peash!"

"I'm not in the mood for a ticket...or worse jail." Jeff smiled, he knew he could easily outsmart Rosco. And he did. Jeff grinned as he saw a two tonne truck headed down the road towards em, takin' up two lanes. Jeff looked to his right, an slight embankment. After making some quick calculations in his head he turned the wheel to the right, hitting the ramp at full speed, flying past the truck, leaving Rosco far behind, and below.

The old fury landed with a thud and Jeff laughed when he heard the screeching tires of Rosco's patrol car and the truck, stopping mere inches from each others bumpers.

Balladeer, "I'd say that boy has the smarts of his daddy an the drivin' skills of his uncle!"

(cue anyone)

Mira called out to Jeff to come back, but her plea's seemed to fall of deaf ears. A lone tear tracked from the corner of her blue eye and down her cheek. He doesn't believe me, she thinks to herself, I have to get him to talk to me, to believe... I know he's my son, I just know it. Maybe if I talk to those other people, the ones who think they're his parents. They have to see the truth. I will not lose more time with my boy.

Mira's eyes narrow again showing steely determination. She straightens her shoulders and tightens her lips, turning on her heel and striding off to her rented mustang. She pauses only long enough to get directions from the town mechanic before racing out of town toward the Duke farm.

(cue anyone)

"Lost Sheep callin' Shepard one and two!" Jeff cried into his CB radio, hoping to hear a quick response from his father or his uncle.

Luke's head snapped up. "What is it Luke?" Anna asked as she looked over at her husband, who had been sleeping peacefully in a chair across the room. "The radio, did you hear the CB Anna?" Anna glanced down at two year old Wiley Jon in her lap. "I'm a lil distracted by your son sugar." Luke nodded as he got up from his chair and walked over to the two ruffling his youngest son's hair.

There's a loud crash in the kitchen and Anna sets Wiley down on the floor, where he plays with a toy car, making engine sounds with his mouth. Luke and Anna share a knowing look, Kevin and Jesse. "Boys? What are you doing?" Luke calls as he walks into the kitchen to see pots and pans lying on the floor and Jesse and Kevin's back sides as they race out the door.

Luke just shook his head. "Lost Sheep one calling Shepard one an two!!" Jeff's voice rang out through the kitchen. Luke's eyes widened and he forgot about the mess, grabbing the CB, "Yeah son! Shepard One here!"

Oh thank gawd! Jeff thought. "Uh....dad could we meet at still seven? Now?" Luke thought about it only a minute before he replied, "Yes, I'll be there in five minutes."

(cue anyone)

Luke laid the Cb mike down next to the radio and turned to look at Anna. "I'll be back soon!" He said, kissing her gently on the lips and turned walking out the door to his car and got in sliding behind the wheel and starting the engine. He had tried not to let it show in front of Anna but he found himself worrying about Jeff on his way to the still site. Jeff had sounded sort of freaked out and upset about something. He pondered for a moment hesitating in reaching for the radio but grabbed it before he could change his mind. "Shepherd one to Shepherd two you got your ears on?" He asked.

A moment later his younger cousins voice came over the radio. "Yeah this is Bo! What's your 20?" He asked. Luke paused for a moment. "I'm meeting Jeff out at Still Site Seven and you may want to come to!" He said. " Why? What's wrong?" Bo asked quickly. Luke sighed. "I ain't sure but whatever it is I got a feeling that it ain't good!" He said. "10-4 Luke i'm on my way!" Bo replied.

(cue anyone)

Anna sighed loudly as she looked around the mess in the kitchen. "Jesse and Kevin Duke!!!" Anna cried as she stormed out to the front porch, "Get in this house this very instant, you have til the count of three!"

Jesse looked up from the dirt, and back at his twin brother. "ONE!" Kevin drops the clump of mud in his hands and his blue eyes open wide. Jesse gets up and his muddy hand grabs Kevin's shirt, pulling him towards their mother. "TWO!!!!" Jesse and Kevin scrambled through the wet ground racing to the steps and stopping in front of their mother.

Anna looked down at the twins, their blonde hair, and clothes covered in mud. "Yes...mom...ma??" Kevin panted. Anna shook her head and walked down the steps grabbing each boy by their ears gently. She had no intention of hurting them, and she wasn't. "Sorry Momma!" Jesse cried, not sure what she was about to do.

She lead them around the house to the hose and turned it on. "Clean yerselves up." Anna would much rather have two wet boys in her house then two muddy boys.

Jesse and Kevin grinned at each at the prospect of using the hose. They could spray each other, the chickens, the open window of their mother's car, the house. But their hopes were quicklt squashed when they noticed their mother had not moved, and was going to watch and made sure they did as they were told.

(cue anyone)

Bo and Luke arrived at the still site at about the same time. "Hey, Jeff!" Bo said to kind of lighten up what seemed to be bothering him, but Jeff didn't seem to be too happy to see him. "Dad, Can I talk to you alone?" Jeff asked Luke with a very confused, yet embarrased look on his face. "Of course." Luke replied quite suprised he didn't want Bo to hear.

"Hey Luke, I gotta go. I promised Jackie I'd be home in 15 minutes." Bo yelled out to his cousin.

Balladeer:Now in case ya'll are wonderin Jackie is Bo's wife.

"Alright Bo I'll talk to you later." Luke replied waiting to hear what Jeffery had to say. "Bye Jeff!" Bo yelled out to Jeffery. He didn't answer back, cause he had too much on his mind.

"Dad, am I your real son and is Mom my real mom?" Jeff asked with hope that Luke would say yes. Luke was in shock.

*CUE ANYONE*

Luke's deep blue eyes stared into his son's matching ones, "What on earth made you ask that?" Jeff looked back at his father, his brow furrowed in deep thought, "Uh...a woman...a lady said she was my real mother." Jeff stumbled with his words at first before blurting it out. "Wha???? Who was this woman?" Luke cried. Jeff thought another minute before repliing, "Mira...Finnigan." Luke walked away for a breif moment before returning, "Jeff...I watched your mother, my wife, Anna, give birth to you...this woman is not your mother." Jeff nodded, he knew his father would never lie about something as serious as this.

"Just look at this," His father cried as he pulled his wallet from his back pocket. Luke opened it and pulled out a family photo. Jeff took the photo looking over both his mother and his father's faces. His was a perfect combination of them. He had his father's deep blue eyes and chisled jaw. He had his mother's delicate, round nose and the same dimples in the corners of his mouth. Luke looked at the picture upside down from where he stood, "Forget that this is you and your family," Luke paused, and Jeff nodded, "Now tell me, who these people are in realtion to each other." Jeff looked over the photo, he looked at his parents, his sister, the twins, his baby brother, himself. "They're a family, a mom and a dad and four sons and a daughter." The corners of Jeff's mouth turned up in a smile, "The only two that don't belong are the twins!!" He laughed. Luke looked down at the picture, his face losing all it's seriousness, "Your mother took enough ribbing over that! Though they do look more like Bo than me!!" Luke shared his son's laughter, The twins could have been Bo's younger clones, but he had never once doubted his wife's loyalty, or Bo's to Sara.

Everything Luke had said was true, for he would never lie to his son. Luke and Anna are Jeffery's biological parents. There is no doubt about it. Jeff really is his parents combined into one person, from his attitude to his mannerisms, to yes his appearence. I can't stress it anymore. Jeffery Grant Duke is the son of Annabelle Duke and Lucas Duke. Don't believe me? Go check with Hazzard Country med center.

(cue anyone, what's happening with Mira? Is she at the farm? We need something else....what's Boss and Rosco scheeming this week??)

"Aarrgghhh!!!" Mira screams at the top of her lungs, banging both hands on the steering wheel. She is totally and completely lost and now has a flat tire with no spare in the trunk. "This day is going from bad to worse very quickly." she mutters. In the distance she hears a car engine, with her head cocked she listens and determines that it seems to be coming her way.

Mira takes a deep breath and gets out of her car waiting for whoever was coming down the dirt road at such a fast pace. She starts waving and flapping her arms to flag the car down, wondering if she can even be seen since the car is going so fast. The driver catches a glimpse of the broken down Mustang as he passes, he hits the brakes and does a slide coming around in a 180 turn. He pulls back up to the lady standing by her car and jumps out to assist her.

"Howdy ma'am! Can I help ya out?" Offers the blonde haired man, "My names Bo an' I live just down the way a bit."

"Duke?" Mira questions softly.

(cue anyone... this is all I could think of for the moment!)

• 2 weeks later...

"Rosco you lugnut! Get in here!" Boss Hogg called from his office in the Boar's Nest. "Jit! Gycuk!! I'm comin!" The sheriff cried as he made his way through the crowd, lined up to get their drinks from Daisy Duke. "What isit lil fat buddy?" Rosco P Coltrane asked when he stepped into Boss's office. "Shut that door, don't need anybody hearin'. Specially noy Daissssy Duuuuke!" Rosco snickered and slammed the door behind him, knocking a picture off the wall. "Ooo! Sorry bout that Boss!"

Jefferson Davis Hogg just shook his head. He laughed and got up from his chair, "Rosco, we're gonna nail them Duuukes!" Rosco raised an eyebrow, "How?" Boss grinned wickedly, "Well, you're gonna catch them two sons. Jeff and Bailey, for runnin mooooonshine." Rosco jumped back and cried, "But they don't run moonshine. Their momma's won't let em." Boss snickered, "You're gonna catch em alright...I'm gonna tell you how."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Back at the Duke farm the Chaos was settling down, sort of. The twins had been put to bed early, and were both out cold, much to Anna's delight. Wiley Jon was still up, although it was well past his bed time. But he was as good as two year old come, he was quiet and rarely got in the way. Stephanie had gone out with a group of locals, who were all much older then her. Luke and Anna decided to send Jeff out to check on her.

Jeff was more than happy to go, he needed to get out of the house and was concerned about his thirten year old sister hanging out with sixteen and seventeen year olds. Steph was a Duke in every way, and it was easy to see she was going to be a heartbreaker later in life, this already got her in trouble. But because of her Duke nature she could ussually handle herself if anybody got out of line.

When he arrived at where he knew he'd find is sister there were teens everywhere. More then ussual, this worried him. Jeff's blue eyes scanned the ground as he brought his blue Fury to a stop and climbed out the window.

"Jeff if you was comin' to race ya shoulda brought the General!" A voice called out from behind him. Jeff didn't turn around but called over his shoulder, "I ain't here ta race, I'm lookin for my sister." "Saw her over by the racers, prolly checkin all the cars out....while them boys check her out." Roars of laughter came from behind Jeff, he fought to keep control, his teeth clenched.

He walked away, it wasn't worth it. He made his way through the ground and around cars. He was stopped several times by some girls offering him drinks, "Want a beer Jeff?" He shook his head and continued walking. Another young woman stopped him, Betty-Sue Richards, some one he'd had his eye on since he was a freshman in high school. "Hi Jeff! Wanna come watch the race with me?" Normally Jeff would have leapt to, but tonight he was on a misson, bring his sister home. "Sorry Betty, maybe some other time." She shook her head, "Ain't gonna be no other time if ya don't come now." She replied. Jeff sighed, "Then I guess that's your loss ain't it." He stromed off through the crowd.

"Stop it. I don't wanna!" A familar female voice cried. Jeff whipped around in the direction it came from. "Awe c'mon Sugar." Another voice, male this time coaxed. " No! Get your hands off me!" Jeff''s heart sank, he knew immediatly it was Steph. He stepped into the shadows were the voices had come from. There was one of the local boys, desperatly trying to get his hands under his sister's shirt, while she fought him. Jeff hissed through clenched teeth, "Get yer hands off my sister!"

(Cue anyone....someone wanna write this fella in??? And what's Boss up to now? What about Bo and Mira?)

The boy froze in his tracks.His hands desperatly trying to make their way under Steph's shirt. He glanced up from Steph into Jeff's hardened blue eyes. Jeff stared back down with a steely dertrimnation, that was almost enough to scare the poor kid. "I didn't know she was your sister!! I swear I didn't know she was a Duke!!! Honest!!!" He cried. Steph wrinkled her face and creid, "Ya did too! I thold you that!" She didn't let him respond. She swung her fist as hard as she could into his stomach. He sputtered and coughed.

A small smile washed across Jeff's face as he watched with pride as his sister got up and stood behind him, nothing but anger in her eyes. The smile disappeared as he grabbed the boy's collar and yanked him up to his feet. "Nobody touches her. You understand me?" Jeff snarled, "She's thirteen. Do I need to get the Sheriff?" The boy shoook his head back and froth quickly, "NO! No...it won't happen again! I promise!" Jeff opened his mouth to say something else when he was interuppted. "Put my brother down." The familar male voice growled. Jeff loosened his grip on the boys collar slightly and took a step towards the voice, trying to put a face to it. He almost half chuckled to himself when he recognized him, Jared Lionel Hogg.

Jeff let go of the boy and shoved him back a bit, "Tell him to stay away from my sister." He shot back. Jared stepped out of the shadows and glanced towards Steph, "This your sister?" He looked her up and down, his eyes taking in her small figure, "I can see why he had a hard time keeoing his hands off." Jared smirked and licked his lips. Jeff took another heavy step towards him, "She's thriteen, don't look at her like that.....or I'll make you pay."

Naturaly as a Hogg and a Duke Jared and Jeff had never gotten along. They had done many things to each other over the course of their twenty years of life. Most recently however Jeff had been bitter that he had driven poorly and allowed Jared to beat him in last years Hazzard County Derby. Jeff also hoped to change that soon, with this years race coming up the next week. Jared had been angry because he thought Jeff had stolen the love of his life. She decided she was going to leave Jared for Jeff, who did not share the same feelings as her. Jeff did however go on a few dates with her, just to rock Jared's boat a little.

Jared snickered, "Just what is it you plan on doin; about it Duke?" The angry Duke boy hissed through clenched teeth, "This!!!!" He swung his fist into Jared's jaw, sending him stumbling backwards. Steph's eyes widened and she cried, "Jeff!! Let's just get outta here!!!" Jeff nodded to his sister's pleas and turned on the heel of his boot. Jared cussed under his breath as he tapped Jeff on the shoulder. Jeff whirled around to meet Jared's knuckles with his nose.

"Arrrgggggh!!!" Jeff cried as he held one hand over his now bloody nose and charged at his rival, knocking them both to the dirt. "Oooouuufff" Jared let out as all the oxygen was knocked out of his lungs. The two boys wrestled and rolled around on the ground. Jeff gained to upper hand and sat on Jared's chest.

A crowd had gathered around to watch, whooping and cheering for their favorite. Bets were even being passed around, who was going to win? The Duke? Or the Hogg?

All went dead silent when a set of bright headlights shone on the pair. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of a familar engine purring like a kitten. Jeff had been in mid punch, he held his fist poised over Jared as he blinked his eyes in the brightness. He glanced down at Jared, both faces bloodied, swollen and bruised.

Jeff looked back into the bright headlights, still blinking to adjust. He heard his sister's shoes scrambling across the dirt towards the car. A pair of familar boots hit the dirt, dust puffing up in front of the headlights.

(cue anyone)

Bo jerks his head around at the mention of his last name. "That's right, I'm Bo Duke. Ya heard of me then?" he asks with the Duke grin.

"I guess you could say that." Mira answers slowly. "I was actually looking for Luke Duke's farm, you're related to him aren't you?"

"Sure thing ma'am. Me an' Luke are cousins."

"That's right, I remember that now. Well, as you can see I have a flat and no spare tire."

"Let me just give Cooter a call on the CB an' he'll be out here right quick ta fix ya up." Bo offers.

"That would be just fine. Could you also point the way to your cousin's farm? I really do need to see him."

"It's jus' down this way a mite more, but you'd be wastin' yer time. He ain't home right now an' I don't know how long it'll be 'fore he gets there. Maybe he could meet ya tomorrow? Say 'bout two or so? That's 'bout the time me an' him go ta grab a beer at the Boars Nest."

"I guess that would work although I really hate to wait that long. Oh all right. Tomorrow at two at a place called the Boars Nest. Thank you." Mira sighs in consternation. Another day without her son by her side. But today will be the last day for sure. Mira's eyes narrow in determination as she watches her son's 'uncle' talk to the mechanic on the CB. When he was finished he walk back to her side.

"Cooter's on his way now... uh, I don't think I caught yer name?"

"Mira, Mira Finnigan."

"Well, it's nice ta meet ya Mira. Cooter should be here in a few minutes time. Anything else I can do fer ya?" Mira shakes her head no and gives Bo a brittle smile. "Okay then. Is there any type of message I can give ta Luke fer ya?" Again Mira shakes her head. "Well, I'll be headin' on home then. See ya tomorrow Mira." Bo climbs into his car and turns it around to go home. He glances in the rearview mirror and sees Mira glaring at him through the mirror.

"That lady is 'bout a half bubble off plum." Bo says aloud to the empty car before shrugging his shoulders and heading home.

Mira continues to glare as the dust thrown up by the tires slowly settles. These people stole my little boy and have made him into a country bumpkin, hillbilly. That's going to change son, I promise you that. You'll love your new life, whether you like it or not. Mira settles into her car to wait for the mechanic and plans tomorrow's meeting.

Meanwhile, back at the Boars Nest Boss is still trying to get Rosco to understand the plan. Rosco is leaning against the pool table with a blank look on his face trying to understand what Boss was saying around the pickled pigs feet he was eating.

"Rosco! Did ya hear anything I just said?"

"Course I did Boss, I jus' didn't understand most of it cause yer mouth was full." Boss's head jerks around and he glares at Rosco.

"Awright, one more time. You are gonna sneak over to Luke and Bo Duke's farms an' hide moonshine in the trunks of their kids' cars. Got it so far?"

"I think so Boss, uh, if ya don't mind me askin' how come we're doing this again?" Rosco leans closer to Boss Hogg with a quizzical look on his face

"Because, I want them boys to run my shine for me. If they won't I'll put them an' their daddy's in jail for the production an' transportation of illegal corn whiskey." Boss lights up a fat cigar and begins puffing.

"Oh! I love it, I love it! I'll cuff 'em an' stuff 'em. Khee, khee, khee."

Rosco says aloud while thinking to himself, it'll never work.

(cue anyone)

"Get in the car." A soft familar voice grumbled. Steph scrambled and leapt into the passegner side. Jef let out a deep, frustrated sigh and complied. He gave Jared a glare before standing up and climbing into the car beside his sister.

The car roars and tears away from the shocked crowd of teens. "Who was that?" One boy asked, another shook his head and headed off in the opposite direction.

Jared snickered to himself as his younger brother helped him off the ground. He knew exactly who that was, another dang Duke.

Back in the dark car Jeff looked over at the driver, who was focused on the road. He sigh and soke quietly, "Thanks Aunt Daisy, I really appreciate this. But you can drop me here I need to get my car." Daisy shook her head, "Absolutley not, I let you out and you'll be going back to finish him off." Jeff sighed and started to pull on the door handle, "I'm getting out...whether you stop the car or not is up to you."

Steph glared at her brother and looked straight at him, "Don't be a dang fool Jeffery Duke!" Jeff raised an eyebrow as he stared hard at his sister. She was right, jumping out of a moving vehicle to get his car, in the dead of night was foolish.

(cue anyone)

Rosco eases his patrol car to a stop behind Luke Duke's barn. He mutters and mumbles to himself for a few minutes before turning to his faithful deputy dog, Flash.

"Now Flash," He whispers as he lovingly caresses her head and ears, "don't make any noise darlin'. Daddy's gotta do somethin' for his little fat buddy. You stay here an' sneak a snooze, I'll be right back." He gives her one last pet before getting out of the car, leaning into the back seat to grab a gallon jug of moonshine before shutting the door. Tiptoeing around the side of the barn, he comes to a sudden halt. Scanning the farmyard he can see that Jeffery Duke's old blue car is no where in sight.

"Ooh! Ijit! Where can he be at this time of night? Wait a minute, khee, khee, I bet that dang Duke put his car here in the barn. Khee, khee, khee. It'll take more than that to outsmart the likes of Sheriff Roscooooo P. Coltrane. Khee, khee." He whispers to himself. Making his way to the barn door, he does his best not to trip over the usual farm paraphernalia. As he slowly opens the door a loud squeak comes from the hinges.

"Ooh! Hush!" He pauses to see if anyone will stir inside the house, but nothing can be heard. He peeks around the door to see a tractor but no car. "Those Duke's gotta be pullin' somethin'. Ever'body should be home an' in bed by now. I know I'd like ta be." He whines before turning around to look at the house again. In that moment headlights spotlight him against the barn, blinding him as the car comes up the driveway.

"Ooh! Ijit! That smarts!" He cries holding his hand up in front of his eyes. The driver of the car pulls to a stop and gets out without shutting off the headlights.

(cue anyone)

Daisy Duke put her hands on her hips as she stared at the Sheriff. Jeff and his sister clrwaled out the passenger side and glared at Rosco. "Just what do ya think yer doin Sheriff?" Daisy cried. Jeff stepped around the front of his car to his aunt. His questioning came from the dark glare in the sheriff's direction.

"Jit!! Guck....I was....jus....uh." Rosco stuttered. "You were what Rosco?" Steph cried as she crossed her arms over her chest. The Sheriff's blue eyes widened as he stared between Daisy and Steph, carefully avoiding the dark eyes of Jeff. "I was....." He quickly holds the jug of moonshine behind his back, hoping they haven't noticed it. But unfortunatly Jeffery's sharp eyed missed little, and he had seen the clear liquid in Rosco's hands.

"You were trying to set me up again, with yer lil jug a shine there." Jeff growled in a low voice. Daisy's eyes widened slightly before she squinted them, looking at the sheriff's hands behind his back. "I..I....was not. I was........was comin' to share a drink with yer pa!" Rosco fibbed, although he knew it was useless.

"Rosco I wouldn't share no drink with you." Luke Duke called from the front porch of his farm house. His eyes hardened and he glared at Rosco with the same intentesity as Jeff. The sheriff felt as if the walls of a jailcell were tightening around him slowly. He needed to get out. "Uh...well. Um So sorry to bother ya'll....heh knee...have a nice night!" And with that he raced into his patrol car and tore off into the dark cold night.

Anna came out onto the porch, with a wide awake Wiley Jon on her hip, "Luke? What's going on out here?" She asked with a yawn. Luke turned to his wife and ushered her into the house, "I'll explain in a minute Ann...go back to bed." He gave her a kiss on the cheek and she reluctanly carried their smallest son back onto the house.

Daisy shook her head and shut her car off, "Is there anything he won't try." Steph sighed loudly and Jeff wrapped his arm around her, "No. Anything to get Bailey and Me behind bars." Luke jogged down the step and out to his cousin and childern. "Daisy, you go on home. Enos'll be worryin'." Daisy gave her older cousin a small glare but nodded in agreement, "I'm gonna stop by Bo and Sara's....she if Rosco's been around there." "That's a good idea Aunt Daisy....have Bailey call me first thing in the morning." Jeff added.

Luke, Jeff and Steph watched from the porch as Daisy took off toward Bo's farm. "C'mon...let's get to bed. You can tell me what happened in the morning." Luke spoke as he guided his daughter towards the door. "C'mon Jeff...you too." Jeff stared out into the night as he wondered what the Dukes had ever done to make ol Boss and Rosco so hell-bent on gettin' rid of em. "Hmmm?? Yeah I'm comin' dad."

(cue anyone)

The next morning...

"Lost Sheep Two callin' Lost Sheep One, ya got yer ears on Lost Sheep One? Come back." Luke had just finished putting the coffee on in the kitchen when the CB crackles to life. Luke jumps over to it and grabs up the mic.

"This is Lost Sheep One an' I'd appreciate it if'n you'd keep it down a bit Bo. Ever'one is still sleepin' includin' Anna and Wiley Jon. They had a late one last night."

"Sorry 'bout that cousin. I was jest wonderin' what was goin' on. Daisy stopped here last night an' insisted we search all the cars and buildin's. She said somethin' 'bout Rosco plantin' shine again. Is that right?"

"Yep, seems that way. I jest don't know who exactly he was after, me an' you or Jeff an' Bailey." Luke sighs and scratches the top of his head. He eyes the coffeepot trying to decide if it's hot enough yet.

"Prob'ly all of us." Bo's reply comes through.

"Ya got that right. Listen, I guess we'd best shake some trees an' try ta find out what's goin' on. Why don't ya git Bailey an' come on over here when yer ready. We'll have Jeff explain what happened last night an' go from there."

"10-4, oh an' by the way, we're supposed ta meet a lady this afternoon at two at the Boars Nest. She needs ta see you real bad, but wouldn't tell me why."

Luke jerks fully awake with Bo's comment. His bright blue eyes narrowing in thought. "What was this lady's name?"

"Mira, uh," Bo pauses searching his memory for the last name. "Finnigan. Yeah, that's it. Mira Finnigan."

"Well, this should be interestin'. Awright, I'll see ya when ya git here."

"10-4. I'm gone." Luke hangs the mic up then crosses the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. He stands in front of the window in deep thought, not noticing when someone else enters the kitchen.

~~~~~~

Rosco sits at his desk fidgeting and dreading the moment Boss Hogg comes into the office. He has to tell him that his mission had failed. The outer door bangs open announcing the arrival of someone into the police station.

"Rosco!"

"Yeah Boss? I'm here." Rosco jumps out of his chair and hurry's into the booking room where Boss is waiting.

"So how'd it go last night, did ya get ever'thing done right?" Boss asks with a big grin.

"Well... not exactly Boss." Rosco hesitantly replies.

"What do ya mean not exactly! Rosco you lugnut! You didn't plant that shine did ya? I swear yer brain is on haitus."

"But Boss, I was gonna put it in that Jeffery Duke's car, but his car weren't no where to be seen. Then I kinda got caught by Daisy, Jeffery, and Luke."

"Ya got caught! Now them dang Duke's'll know somethin's goin' on! Rosco you do-do!"

(cue anyone)

Anna walked up behind her husband and wrapped her arms around his chest. Luke jumped at first, surprised she was up. She rested her chin on his shoulder and they both looked out at the bright Hazzard sunrise. Mr and Mrs. Duke were quite happy to have a moments peace with each other. Luke turned around and set his coffee down on the counter. He held Anna close to him as thoughts rolled through his head. Luke looked down at his wife and held her face in his hands, "Anna, I love you." She smiled up at him and replied, "I know. I love you too Luke." Her left eyebrow was raised slightly and Luke knew what she was thinking, "I just don't think I say that to you often enough."

Anna was about to answer when they heard the small cooes of Wiley Jon as he waddled across the kitchen floor, bare feet making small slapping sounds on the tiles. A loud rumble and the sounds of four pairs of feet stomping down the stairs startled Wiley into tears. He stomped across the floor as fast as his feet would carry him and grasped onto Luke's pant leg. Luke swooped down and scooped his small son up in one arm, the other holding his wife.

Jesse and Kevin plowed into the back of Jeff as he skidded to a halt in the kitchen door way when he saw the look on his parents faces, and the tears in his brother's eyes. Steph scrambled as she reached the bottom of the stairs, trying to avoid pinning her younger brothers against Jeff.

Wiley cried loudly in his father's arms, he was scared an angry with Jeff. Wiley was not your average two year old, he knew things most others wouldn't. Jeff knew better than to get their other siblings so riled up so early. For all he knew his parents both could have been sleeping, then Jeff would have been truly sorry.

"Uh...Wiley I'm so sorry lil buddy!!!" Jeff cried as he stepped into the kitchen and walked over to his parents and brother. Luke and Anna were still upset, but got on with the day. Jeff and Steph told the family everything that had happened the last night. And after breakfast the tidyed up and went about their morning chores while they waited for Bo and Bailey to arrive.

(cue anyone)

The loud purring of a familar hemi engine caught the attention of all Luke's large family. Anna peered out from the kitchen window, leaving her dishes in the sink. Stephanie whipped her out from under the hood of her brother's car. Wiley cooed and clapped his hands together happily, "Vrooom vrrroooom!!! LEE!! LEE!" He giggled. Jesse dropped the small bale of hay he'd been carrying on Kevin's foot, "Owwww!!!" Kevin cried and shoved his brother against the wall of the barn. Jeff and Luke came out from a nearby stall, the sounds of the horse's new shoes echoing around them. Luke picked Jesse up by the waist and carried him out of the barn. Jeff slung Kevin over his shoulder and followed his father.

The big orange Dodge Charger came to a sliding stop outside the farmhouse. A blonde head and broad shoulders emegered from both sides of the vehicle. Bo dropped his boots to the dusty ground and smiled at Anna as she came out onto the step. Bailey sat atop the roof of the General Lee, his backside covering the rebel flag.

"Nice of ya'll to show up." Luke teased as he set Jesse down on his feet, only to have him run at Jeff, trying to get at Kevin. Jeff's blue eyes widened and he set his brother down.

"So I hear ya got yourself in some trouble there cuz..." Bailey snarked from his perch. Jeff smirked at his cousin, "Hardly...I was keeping Steph outta it." He snapped. "Don't let her hear that." Bailey remarked as he slid from the roof.

Jeff and Stephanie explained all the events of last night to the rest of the family. They paid careful attention to all the details of Rosco's visit. Each member made a guess as to why he'd done it, including Wiley. "Monnneeeeeey!! I wuv it I wuv it!!" He had cried, imatating the sheriff.

By the time they had finished their family meeting and eaten the hearty lunch Anna had cooked it was nearly two o'clock.

"We'll be back soon." Luke said as he kissed his wife on the cheek. She sighed softly, wondering where they were off to now. The four men climbed into the General, with Bo behind the wheel. They were gone like a bolt of lightening towards the Boar's Nest.

(cue anyone)

Bo skids into a parking spot at the Boars Nest, leaving only inches between him and the car parked on the passenger side. Luke turns to look at the grinning Bo, slightly shaking his head.

"Yer losin' yer touch cousin, you pert near hit that car." He pauses to look out his window again. "Ya got 'bout six inches left out there."

"Six inches! Why that's half a foot of room ta play with. 'Sides, how many times do I gotta tell ya, pert near only counts in horseshoes an' handgrenades." Bo's eyes twinkle merrily as he slides out of the car. Luke shakes his head in mock resignation, trying to hide his answering smirk but failing. He ignores the snorts of laughter coming from the backseat as he slides out the window and walks down the hood. He jumps to the ground, followed closely by his still chuckling son. Watching his son jump to the ground, Luke becomes serious thinking about the meeting ahead of them.

"C'mon, let's get this over with." Luke sighs reaching for the door. They had all discussed Mira Flannigan and her outrageous claims on the drive over. Luke wants to keep this meeting low profile so he asked Bo and Bailey to wait at the bar until the time when they were needed. Entering the building, Luke scans the room taking in familiar faces along with unfamiliar ones. He spots a lone woman seated in a dim corner of the room. Elbowing Bo, he nods toward her for confirmation.

"Yep, that's her. We'll be at the bar. Jest holler if ya need us." Bo answers quietly before leading Bailey to the bar and a cold glass of brew.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mira taps her foot impatiently as she glances at her watch once again. It was five minutes after two, the agreed upon meeting time. She picks up her glass of water and takes a slow sip as she studies the other patrons of this rustic watering hole. The brunette making the rounds refilling beer mugs catches her eye as she fills the glass of that greasy mechanic from town. Another man, sitting opposite the mechanic, is grinning like crazy at the girl as he raises a glass of what looks like milk.

Mira sits up straight as the door opens and closes only to slouch back into her seat when she sees it's the sheriff. He glances around the room briefly before quickly making his way to a door leading to another room. Knocking once he enters and pulls the door shut behind him. Mira once again raises her wrist to look at her watch wondering if this can be classified as being stood up. When she hears the door open once again her back goes ramrod straight. She watches closely as a brown haired man enters followed closely by the blonde that helped her yesterday. Two more people came in the door that Mira couldn't see from her seat in the corner. When the blonde moves away she can see her son. He glances at the man at his side before they start moving her way. Mira lunges to her feet and holds out her hands toward this boy that was stolen from her, watching as he comes closer and closer.

(cue anyone)

( please note: this post is a joint effort between Goodolboy85 and JefferyDuke)

Jeff walked into the Boar's Nest with his father. His eyes widened and he stepped behind Luke, wishing he could shrink into the floor at that moment. He'd never wanted to be short, but now he'd give anything if he could duck down out of sight behind the wall of people. Duck down low and scurry away across the floor like a mouse. "Dad....I don't wanna do this." He admitted loud enough for only his father to hear.

"Jeff, now I raised you better than that, to know you ain't gonna solve yer problems by runnin away from them. Your Great Uncle Jesse taught me an Bo that. Now let's be men together, and go talk with this lady, cause nothin she's sayin is makin much sense," Luke said knowingly to his son. Jeffery shook his head in acknowledgment and followed behind his father's steady footsteps toward the small table, in the dimly lit corner.

Jeff shifted back and forth from foot to foot. He tried to look somewhere else beside the small table. He looked at the bar, back to Bo and Bailey who both shruged and smiled reassuringly. He watched Daisy serve a table. Jeff's deep blue eyes drifted to Cooter, tail tucked as he lost another game of pool. He watched some young women, who smiled brightly at him and motioned for him to join them. He was alomst tempted but turned his attention back to the table, "Ms. Finnagin. I think there's been some sort of misunderstanding."

Luke looked Miss Finnigan right in the eye, quizically, with his deep blue eyes. Jeff was so nervous, he found himself staring around the room and tapping his boots on the floor, half-covered with nutshells and beer bottle caps. Ms. Finnigan stared right back at Luke with the same intensity and then past him at her son, Jeffery. "I'm afraid not, Luke," she said confidently. Her reply forced Jeff to jerk his head at least somewhat in this woman's direction, his hands shaking a little bit, in the pockets of his faded denim jacket.

Luke sighed, his frustration growing, but he managed to stay calm, "Ma'am....Jeffery is not your son. I watched my wife give birth to that boy, with my own eyes. I don't know what's made ya think that he's your son. But your tearing the boy up inside. He doens't know what to think." Jeff shot his father an angry glare, I do so know what to think; She's crazy. Luke continued, "I'd like to discuss this. I want to know why you think Jeff's your son." He paused and waited for her response. Jeff was so angry he could have punched his father, stop calling me her son. He sighed, he knew why Luke said it the way he did. That was to make her more comfortable, so Luke could get some answers.

(Cue redneckwoman)

Mira nods her head and gestures to the chairs around her table before taking her own seat. She watches as Mr. Duke takes the chair directly across the table. Her son pulled a chair out and moved it back by who he thought was his father, sitting slightly behind him. She smiles at him, trying to let him know that everything would soon be all right, they would soon have each other. Jeffery wouldn't look her in the eye for some reason, his father has probably abused her poor boy. She turns her gaze from the wonderful sight of her son to Luke Duke. He is staring at her intently waiting for something it seems. His stunning blue eyes are narrowed in concentration and seriousness. Did he ask her something? She raises an eyebrow in question before speaking.

"I'm sorry Luke, may I call you Luke?" At his nod she continues. "Did you ask me something? I have a feeling that I missed something just now." She smiles tentatively at him, glancing to the side to include her son in the look also.

"I'm still wondering why you think Jeff is your son ma'am?" Luke says quietly never taking his eyes off of the lady across the table.

"He was born in the Tri-Counties Hospital correct?" Luke nods his agreement to Mira's question. "The same day that I had my baby, your wife was delivering also. We had our sons within moments of each other and right afterwards there was an emergency of some sort, a terrible car crash in Chickasaw County I believe, that brought chaos on that little hospital. In the confusion I think our babies were switched. I think that you and your wife was given my son and I was given yours." Mira pauses to let that bit of information sink in before continuing. "Patrick, the baby I called my own, didn't look anything like me or his father. Whereas Jeffery seems to have some of his father's features. I can tell by looking that he is ours."

"Ma'am, everythin' you've said so far makes sense. I remember the accident and the resultin' chaos, but that doesn't mean there was any type of switch. Just look at Jeff an' then look at me, he is my son."

"Luke, I appreciate your family taking such good care of my boy, but I have to disagree. He is mine." Mira narrows her eyes, not willing to lose this, the most important fight in her life. She needs this part of herself to be whole again. Luke was watching the play of emotions cross her face and picked up on one in particular, pain.

"Ms. Finnigan, may I ask where your son is now? I mean Patrick of course, not my boy Jeff." Mira drops her head at his questions, trying to keep the pain and loss at bay. She raises her head to look at Luke once again with tears pooling in her eyes.

"He's gone, taken from me a year ago in a car accident." She whispers.

(cue anyone)

With a loud sigh Luke replied with genuine sympathy, "I'm sorry Ms. Finnagin, I truly am. But just because your son is gone doesn't mean you can come looking for mine to replace him." Luke's deep blue eyes reflected the slightest hint of pain from deep inside. He'd never thought of the notion that someone might try to claim one of his childern as their own.

Jeff could feel the boil of aner and frustration welling up inside and he burst, "Look lady! Luke Duke is my father. And Anna Duke is my mother! I'm not your son!" He suddenly pushed his chair back and stood to his full looming height, tipping the chair over. He continued, his voice rising in anger, "You are not my mother! I'm Jeffery Duke! Get it? D-U-K-E.....DUKE!!!"

Luke's eyes went as wide as the rims of the General Lee. He opened his mouth to say something to his son, but Jeff was moving away. The young Duke pushed his way through the crowd in a less than friendly manner. Bailey leapt up from his stool at the bar and tried to catch his cousin. The blue eyes of the young Dukes meet for a breif moment before Jeff shoved his younger cousin out of his way.

*Crash* Bailey stumbled backwards and slammed into a tabletop, crushing it beneath his weight. Bailey closed his eyes and his handsome young face twisted as he slammed into the hard floor. By the time Bailey had caught his breath and cleared the stars from his eyes, Jeff was nowhere in sight.

He'd rushed outside in the chaos, away from all the prying eyes. Jeff took long pruposful strides towards the General Lee, where he collapsed his upper body over the hood. Dark blue eyes shut heavily as he lay with his cheek against the cold metal, groaning in anger.

(cue anyone)