Fate of Dukes Movie Sequel dangles by DVD Sales

no this is what i wanted to know where he found this:

The Dukes movie DVD, after 1 week of release, was solidly in the #2 position for sales volume for that release period. ( This data is from 12/11/05.)

The movie ahead of it in sales, was "Fantastic Four"."

Not a bad start. I can only surmise that the movie DVD ran strong through the Christmas shopping season.

Odds of a sequel? Hard to say, but the chance has to be there.

Brian

If Jay C cant direct the sequel, if there is one, then it can only get better. With the right storyline between movies and the movie itself, a little tweeking with the characters and you got yourself a better movie than the first. Uncle Jesse is the first character who needs upgrading. Willie just didnt do it any justice, but most of that can be placed on Jay C's shoulders.

I also think the the movie, even though how bad it was it was very enjoyable. Of course I did went to see it to just see the General on the big screen. I do agree with a lot of people that there were things that shouldn't been in the movie but damn, did the General look great on the big screen!

Hey, TDGL 01, you mean where did I find stuff like this?

Rank last wk wks out Rev

1 1 2 THE 40-YEAR-OLD-VIRGIN (UNI) 8.27

2 NEW 1 FOUR BROTHERS (PAR) 7.25

3 2 4 MR. & MRS. SMITH (FOX) 5.83

4 NEW 1 THE EX OF EMILY ROSE* (SONY) 6.00

5 NEW 1 MUST LOVE DOGS (WB) 5.80

6 NEW 1 THE BROTHERS GRIMM (DIS) 6.13

7 3 2 THE ISLAND (DW/UNI) 5.11

8 4 3 FANTASTIC FOUR (FOX) 4.43

9 5 3 THE DUKES OF HAZZARD* (WB) 3.76

I'm not telling. :p

What I will tell ya, is the Dukes movie DVD, as of 12/25/05, slipped down to 9th place in sales/rentals. This is kinda normal, though. DVD's fall fast, as whatever is newest, is hottest.

On the upside, the DVD has churned out just under 20 million on it's own, by 12/25/05. That's not bad at all.

In US theatres, the movie grossed just over 80 million. Which ain't terrible, but for all the hype, ain't all that impressive. The strong DVD numbers suggest that a lot of folks took the, "I'll wait until I can rent it" stance. Not a surprise there.

Brian

Found this on the confederate general lee fan club fourm posted by TVandMovieCars :

spoke with a VERY reliable source today in Louisiana... and WB does want to do a movie.. IN Louisiana.. if they can get the casting issues resolved.. and they will NOT be going to london in it! <LOL> That was a early script idea probably. The movie/script has NOT been "greenlighted" yet... so its 50/50 ..IF they can get casting issues resolved...

I have ben reading that stuff too. I will wait til there is an OFFICAL source and not heresay. It is still too early to even think about recasting since according to the interviews with stars , they are contracted for a sequal.

Personally, no recast is needed. Just maybe some more character developement for Boss and Roscoe and maybe more of a backstory to show the Boss Hogg/Uncle Jesse realtionship...Just take out the drug stuff is all I am asking....

I'm gone

Darrell

I agree with most of you, just get rid of everyone involved in the first movie, especially the person that wrote that awful script... Like I honestly that the person who did write it, just watched that Season 7 episode (when Boss tries to sell Hazzard to that lady Boss that just wants turn Hazzard into a strip coal mine) after getting seriously high and drunk... I especially hate Johnny Knoxville, he's a diseased pervert that should be dragged from his mansion naked to the town square and castrated in front of the world (atleast thats what people did with mental furballs like him in the old days). The things that he did in those extra scenes were revolting.

I went to wal mart the other day for another movie and I saw that DOH was only 13 bucks. Could be just me but I dont think that's good. Is it? I dont' know. Maybe they are just trying to get rid of some of 'em???

As for a sequel..sure I"m for it. If they change everything...except for the car chases and jumps and they actually try to make it more like the TV show. Sure you can take out some of the campiness and make it a tad more realistic but lets try to stick to the original properity as much as possible....and frankly if they got a whole new cast I think it would a good thing for them.

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet... The only reason for a sequel is because people showed enough intrest in the first one to see another in the same fourm. Like the guy on the other fourm said "There not going to recast a movie that is one year old".

While the cast did't do half bad , I still think that there is a better cast that could have done the original cast justice. And I think WB finally figured that .

I went to wal mart the other day for another movie and I saw that DOH was only 13 bucks. Could be just me but I dont think that's good. Is it? I dont' know. Maybe they are just trying to get rid of some of 'em???

Hard to tell anything by wal-mart, they tend to drop prices even on good selling movies, also a lot can be by region, like here the movie is movie is still the same high price and on their website, but some store in your town may be competing and wal-mart will drop prices and get into a price war, i have heard of brand new movies being $13 or so on the first day..but wal-mart is the only store here so i get full price.

I found this under the same fourm on the confederate Gen Lee fan club fourm It claims to be from a good source:

okay you all my source stop in today.. I ask him about the movie an here is what I got.. he said there having alot of problems with the cast from the movie an for the new movie yes new movie.. he said they talking about how they're going to fix the casting problem with the girl from the movie an also about same guy they should have goting first to play Boss Hogg.. Danny Deveto.. he said they have problema lot of them with the cast yet to make it better then the movie was.. there also looking at another guy they came up with before also for the role of Uncle Jesse.. but he said they really didn't have any problems though with Bo an Luke it was ujust the girl an Boss Hogg.. there also talking about Rosco charcter.. but the car to what he said is staying the same.. he said they said soon as they get all the casting problems solved they're going to be working on the movie..

I can confirm that a sequel was contractually planned for, but I've yet to find confirmation that it's really happening at this stage.

Having lived through all the underground rumblings and speculations that surrounded the first movie - I can tell ya this is about par for the course.

Meantime the DVD sales are promising, and I believe the wind is blowing in the right direction. WB, however, has not made any decision public. My own stance is Cautiously Optimistic.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

My problem with a sequal is what's the point??? What else is there to do with this movie? I consider the movie a stand alone thing because it didn't have anything to do with the original so why make another attempt. They didn't respect the original the first time so why wish for another disrespectful movie. England??? Why Dukes in England??? I can only imagine the "warm" welcome Europeans would give to these idiots. Sure, give the Europeans another reason to think we're all backward selfindulgent selfcentric power hungry jackasses with these fine examples of character we were shown in this truely amazing example of excellent American good ol' idiots movie. I can't think of anything better to pride ourselves in or wish for. Maybe you people should really think about what it is that you want in a movie. If you're really a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard, do you really want to tarnish it anymore?

Roscho didnt even do his twitching noise which kinda burned it out for me. From what i was watching on dish they wanted a cast that was more "Southerner" like. I thought it was a good overall movie since im a big car fan as well as a comedy fan. I would like to see a sequal but dont think its gonna happen anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like WB is still counting the dollars. They've made back their initial investment without trying too hard. The movie was made for a budget of 50 million; there was a lawsuit settlement before it was ever released, adding another...what was it, 17 million, to the tab.

The Dukes movie pulled in 33 million the opening box office weekend. The movie DVD release back in Dec, pulled in several million on it's own the first week. And while the movie has been nominated for the of Worst of 2005, everyone pretty much agrees that the stunts were epic.

The way the radio-controlled General Lees were flying off shelves last Christmas, the merchandising alone has to account for a tidy sum.

I don't know what other Dukes sites are saying - hell, I haven't been able to keep up on the home turf lately, let alone spy around. But it seems that WB remains in favor of a sequel, if measured by earnings potential alone.

Thing is, Johnny Knoxville is going to be filming "Jackass 2" by the sounds of it, during late 2006. Both Knoxville and SWS remain aloof about the prospects of starring in a Dukes sequel.

The one person who really needs, and wants, the movie sequel is Jessica Simpson. Is she a hot enough commodity to WB, to make them go forward with a sequel? Or has WB decided that this star lacks staying power, and are they only too happy to have made their money and moved on?

Brian