Fate of Dukes Movie Sequel dangles by DVD Sales

We definately have some crosswinds blowing about the chances for another Dukes movie. Here's something I found on Moviehole.net :

Dukes all out of Moonshine?

Posted on Mon, 26-Sep-2005

Looks like The Dukes are out of Coolant.

Near everyone associated with the film - which hasn't actually done too bad at the B.O - seems to have distanced themselves from the film faster than a chap wearing slippers around an Oil spill.

Though Jessica Simpson reportedly told Sky News a few weeks back that they were considering exporting Bo, Luke and Daisy to London for the sequel, Johnny Knoxville tells Moviehole that that's a load of garden soil. In fact, he's seemingly against a sequel.

Co-star Seann William Scott tells Dark Horizons that he's not very keen on returning to Hazzard County either.

"There's a lot of hateful people about that film too", laughs Scott. "It made a lot of money, which is great, but I don't think well do a sequel for it. The reviews are so bad. I think they're just psyched they made a bunch of money. They could have had they made a more conscious effort to make it funny throughout the whole film instead of just 20 minutes of funny and then a bunch of cool car stuff".

Though Jay Chandrasekhar, director of the film, seems a little optimistic, telling IESB.net that if the film does well on DVD and still has a fan-club by the time it's been and gone, he might do a sequel - he seems a lot keener to do a sequel to his comedy hit "Super Troopers" (2002).

Chanrasekhar (would that even fit on a ballot form?) tells the site that he and the rest of the 'Broken Lizard' gang (the comedy troupe he starred in the film with) are keen on doing "Super Troopers '76", which would fix on the fathers of the characters from the original.

First though, he's doing "Beer Games", a movie about the secret underground beer games in Munich. It's about, “5 man international teams having beer games, not to the death but something close.â€

So what's the message here folks? Hire the "Dukes" when it comes on DVD - and get your sequel.

I'll share more dirt as I find it.

Brian

Well, maybe if they picked a better cast, and director this wouldnt have happened. Hell, they could change the entire cast and director and I'd be all for it. But I think too many people have a bad taste in their mouths about the first one that unless they do a complete overhall it wont be made.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL...Gives me hope on finishing my sequel screenplay...Go look for it, the first couple of pages are posted somewhere on the board...The main idea is to "fix" all the problems of the first movie, and throw some mystery element, as well as comedy into the plot. Here after a little bit of searching, I found it...THE LINK...

http://www.hazzardnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2357

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they will do a sequel it just won't go I personally believe. MY reasoning is alot of folks went to the movie thinking oh cool a newer version of the dukes of hazzard. I admit I went to the movie out of curiosity only and it was AWFUL if you compare it to the show, everything was all wrong to me it didnt have ANY wholesomeness to it and was WAY out of character for what we know and love as the citizens of Hazzard. As a stand alone movie it was ok but still too vulgar for my tastes. As I told someone else about the movie it was like the proverbial 'black sheep' of the family and ruined the family name so to speak. That's my two cents on the whole thing anyway.

Brandy_lou

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I found the new Dukes of Hazzard movie to be very entertaining. Examples, Jessica Simpson in her Daisy Dukes, The scene where the General flies thorught the air, onto the highway after the chase throughtout the streets of Atlanta, the two chicks riding in the back seat w/ em', that scene where them 2 dukes boys' start doing donuts to hit all of the cop cars w/ the rocks to get away, the scene where bo and luke are in atlanta w/ the general, and find out that they are driving round' with a confederate flag on the roof of their car, and meet-up with a gang (colored) and they start a riot.

Dislikes: That guy who played Rosco P. Coltrane (too fat and weird), the guy that played Boss Hogg (too skiny-[burt Renolds]) The guy playing Enos Straight was tooooooooooo geeky.

Inprovement Suggested by Caleb Duke (yeah caleb is my first name, i recently watched episode # 16 Treasure of Hazzard-2nd season, where I found out that the founder of the Duke clans name was Caleb)

Well back tot he suggestions: Ugh! As much as i would hate to say it, keep the cast! Just no-mader how you do it (Warner Bros. i think) Work in the cast of the original show!!!!!!!!!! And i'm sure that most people on this website can agree with me on that one. I mean it woundn't hurt to see the real Bo and Luke (John Schnider, Tom Wopat) helping out the new bo and luke (Sean William Scott, Johnny Knoxville) in some sticky situation. And work in Catherine Bach somehow!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe as a waitress, idk. Just do it, please!! For the fine people of HazzardNet!!!!

How many of y'all honestly believe that if the cast AND crew got a "Hollywood Enema", ie, different EVERYTHING, people would go back for part two and three...er, part two.

I'd certainly try it. The reason I'm asking is, what if there was a different Luke Skywalker everytime? Would it turn people off? A different Leia woulda killed me though.

I think more people would see it if it were a different cast and a different director. THis broken lizard crap needs to go.

THere have been 4 different batmans and people still went to see those movies. Howmany different Bonds have their been? I just think they missed the ball with the DOH movie, which sucks cause I really really wanted to like it. BUt the cast was bad, and the director sucked.

ummm theres been more than one superman(christopher reeves,dean kain,and the one playing superman in smallville,which john schneider plays superman's dad on the show.)

Forgot one - the original George Reeve in the 50's TV series....

There's more than him. There was Kirk Alyn, who played Superman in the old serials back in the 40's. He also appeared in Superman: The Movie in a now-restored scene just after a young Clark runs past the train and the young Lois Lane waved at him she told her parents about it. Kirk Alyn played her father in a cameo in that film and Noel Neill (Lois Lane from the TV series) played her mother.

Then George Reeves in the above-mentioned TV show, and then obviously Christopher Reeve, and Dean Cain and now the young guy (can't remember his name) who plays him on Smallville.

Of course then there's the many voice actors who voiced him for the cartoons and such but, well.....:)

• 2 weeks later...

The Dukes movie DVD, after 1 week of release, was solidly in the #2 position for sales volume for that release period. ( This data is from 12/11/05.)

The movie ahead of it in sales, was "Fantastic Four"."

Not a bad start. I can only surmise that the movie DVD ran strong through the Christmas shopping season.

Odds of a sequel? Hard to say, but the chance has to be there.

Brian

Hey thats great. I was just wondering since the super troopers director is going to do beer games wich is postponed due to weather or some related cause and since he seems much more interested in making another supertroopers movie... Does that mean there is a good chance in getting a new director? or is it Jay as director or no movie . Honestly Im shure that some people didn't care for his fart humor

I don't know if Jay C is "locked in" for directing the Dukes sequel, if there is one. But the rest of the movie cast reportedly has contractual commitment to a sequel.

Maybe that's why Knoxville and SWS have been quick to say they don't want one - Knoxville has other projects lined up, and SWS finds gigs easy enough. Jessica Simpson is the one out of the bunch who desperately needs a sequel to keep her name in lights. ( Hell, I think she filed for divorce just to keep her name in the tabloids.)

I'm no expert on this stuff, but it seems likely that WB is just going to quietly count the cash for the next several months. They have worldwide receipts to gather up, and no shortage of prospective sequels and re-makes to bankroll. And honestly, I think they may have realized that their casting choices were not the strongest - or wisest picks - for something as enduring as DOH.

But they're locked in to using this same cast, so the creative horizons for a sequel are narrow. Knoxville and SWS are not "country" by any stretch of the imagination. Jessica can only deliver lines if she sends them through the mail. This forces another script based on what Knoxville and SWS can work with best: more "Jackass" and "American Pie" type of humor. Jessica can walk in front of the camera wearing a bikini once in awhile, and the rest of the movie is filled with car chases. Presto! Sequel made easy.

There's no question that WB made money from this flick. I think the bigger question for them now, is if the sequel would do at least as good financially. That's a tough one to call, as the first movie had the benefit of curiosity. But would "more of the same" draw enough of an audience?

Brian

And honestly, I think they may have realized that their casting choices were not the strongest - or wisest picks - for something as enduring as DOH.

Mabe they realized that hiring JC along with his fart humor and some of his ideas for a much more serious version was a big mistake.

I think they should listen to John Schnieders opinion of the movie

"I wish them well but I wished they would have called it somthing else because it is somthing else. Nahh they didn't remake the Dukes of Hazzard any more than they remade Starsky and Hutch. Some of the charactors namley Boss Roscoe and Uncle Jesse had little resemblence twords the originals. I hope it does well though" or somthing along those lines

I think WB along with the right director should have asked some of the original cast their opinions of what they thought might be succesful as a DOH remake before they started this progect . The original cast probobly knows what makes the dukes a hit better than anyone else. Ofcourse JC knew that the original cast wouldn't agree with some of his Ideas therefore he didnt want anything to do with them.