Now Jesse was an old man and with those years came some knowledge concerning people.

If he thought of a person to be good they most of the time were and if he did not trusted a person then most of the time there was a reason for that. Now in this case Jesse wasn’t quite sure what he thought of the young man who was a guest in his house today, but like always he was ready to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Slowly he walked up to the orange racecar were he still found Ben listening to all Nick had to say about it. “Hey Uncle Jesse!†Nick greeted him

“Hey son, how is it going?†Jesse said smiling while he reached his hand through the car window and ruffled the boy’s hair.

“Just wanted to let Mr. Haywood hear the General’s horn.†Nick said

“Well what’s stopping you?†Jesse grinned. “Let him hear it then.â€

Nick did not hesitated and within seconds the Dixie Horn echoed over the farm yard.

“Sure is al hell of a car.†Ben said impressed.

Nick glanced automatically at Uncle Jesse and saw the old man frown but not saying anything.

“You should not say Hell in front of Uncle Jesse.†He whispered while he reached over to Ben’s ear. “He doesn’t like that at all.â€

“O I’m sorry Sir.†Ben said with a big grin playing the game along. “I meant to say this is a real fine car.â€

“It sure is.†Jesse replied, softly smiling understanding what Nick had whispered. “You know my boys have built it from the ground. Ever since Luke was 16 they’ve been working on it and drove more races in it then I can remember.â€

“Well then they had quite some practice. No wonder everybody thinks they are liable to win the race tomorrow.†Ben said while he got out of the car and stood besides Jesse.

“Well if you drove NASCAR you’re not quite a rooky yourself now ain’t ya.†Jesse said

Ben grinned. “No I’m not; I think we can expect a Hell of a race tomorrow.â€

Immediately Nick shook his head in unbelief and hit his forehead with the palm of his hand like he wanted to say “Ow what kind of idiot is this guy.â€

Ben laughed out loud at this little piece of theater and made an apologizing movement with his hands. “A real exciting race, I mean of course.â€

Even Jesse had to laugh now and slapped the man’s shoulder.

“So Ben you’ve still got any family around?†Jesse asked just to make conversation.

“Only a sister and she lives in Columbia North Carolina, I go and visit her now and then.â€

“Wouldn’t she have liked to see you race tomorrow?†Nick asked through the window still behind the wheel of the General.

“Neh she has seen me race plenty and Columbia is a long way from here.â€

“So why Hazzard?†Jesse asked. “Why choose this town to race?â€

Ben shrugged “It was on my way and I heard Mr. Hogg needed a driver, so I thought I’d be stupid to let the opportunity pass.â€

Ben was quick with answers but something in the way the man wiggled his hands made Jesse wonder.

Jesse bit his lip for a moment while thinking. “I know I already told you this during supper.†the old man said than. “But I can’t keep myself from telling you again. I know this man you are driving for almost whole of my life, he even used to be my friend ones, but when it concerns JD nothing good can come of it. This man would sell his own mother as it made a profit and cheats even with a friendly game of checkers. Maybe you should think about whether the money he’s is paying you is word that risk.â€

Ben stared for a moment buy then steadied his gaze and looked at Jesse.

“I’ve just been hired to drive a race, that’s nothing more then I’ve done many times before. I can’t see why that should be a problem Mr. Duke.â€

Jesse sighed but than nodded. “Well I’m sure you’re the best judge of that.†He said. “I just wanted you to no for certain what kind of man you are driving for.†Then he looked at his old pocked watch he kept in the front pocket of his overalls and turned to Nick who immediately let himself glide down the car seat as if he wanted himself to disappear.

Jesse grinned. “It’s almost 9 buddy, time to get in to the house and get ready for bed. If you jump in those pajamas already I’ll make you a bedtime snack. â€

“But Uncle Jesse…..†Nick said in a complaining voice. “I’m not tired yet and tonight is my last night!â€

“I know sport.†Jesse said understanding. “But even then you need your sleep. Tomorrow will be a busy day.â€

“Please Uncle Jesse!†Nick begged not showing any sign of wanting to clime out of the car.

Jesse did not respond but crossing his arms and giving Nick a very sharp look.

Nick knew in advance he would not have a chance to win this argument and the chances Jesse would lat him stay up later were zero, bur something is his head told him not to give in.

“I don’t want to go to bed Uncle Jesse, please it’s not fair.†He cried out. “It’s my last night. I won’t be able to sleep anyway. Can’t I just sit with ya’all in the living room? I will be very quite I swear!â€

Jesse was losing his patience and raised his voice. “Nick, stop your nagging at get out of the General now.†He said stern. “You’re going to bed and that’s it, now I don’t want to ask you again.†If Nick had been in his right mind he would have known this was the sign to move in to house as fast as he could, but somehow an old habit seemed to snug bag in.

“No I don’t want to!†he said loud while he crossed his arms in an insulted way. “And you can’t make me!â€

Apparently that was the drop that did it because just in a fraction of a second Jesse placed one hand in the boy’s neck and one around his upper arm and forced him to get out of the car. Now although Nick had the good sense not to fight Jesse’s grip, the angle he was in giving him every opportunity to wrestle loose though, he didn’t gave in easily.

“It’s not fair! It’s not fair, it’s not fair.†He screamed while he got out of the car and gave Jesse a defiant look.

As soon as Nick was standing with his feet on the ground Jesse grabbed the boy by the arm, pulled him close to him and gave two firm swats on his behind with his freehand.

Not expecting the sting Nick immediately let out a screech and started to cry.

“Now what in tarnation is this all about!†Jesse said as he had spun the boy around to face him.

“I’m sorry Uncle Jesse but I don’t wanna go to sleep!†Nick repeated in a sobbing voice.

Jesse was amazed by the stubbornness Nick displayed all of a sudden.

“Now Nick I already told you to stop complaining once and if I have to do it twice I’m going to put you over my knee for real, is that what you want son?â€

“No sir.†Nick said while he searched the ground.

“Then do as you are told and I want to see you, washed, brushed, wearing pajama’s and in bed, within10 minutes. Do I make myself clear?â€

“Yes sir.†Nick repeated meekly still sniffing away his tears.

“Well git!†Jesse said firm and watched the young boy run of.

During the argument Ben had respectively stepped back thinking a person should not interfere in this kind op family situations and had turned away from them to save Nick the embarrassment of being watched. After Nick had run in to the house he turned himself to Jesse. “Big temper for such a small boy.†Ben joked

Jesse nodded and sighed. “Well Mr. Haywood let us see or that gift of yours not only smells good but taste good well.â€

Ben grinned. “Sounds like a mighty fine plan sir.â€

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the living room all the adults had gathered for a toast on the race with the whiskey Ben had brought. Some stories were told and some jokes were made but as soon as everybody had finished his glass, they decided to call it a night and because Ben insisted on going back to the hotel instead of spending the night at the farm Ben took of driving Dixie, on witch they had agreed he would return at the race tomorrow. Just a few minutes later all the Duke cousins and there uncle left for their bedrooms making sure they were rested well enough for the race that kept everybody’s mind spinning.

That night, around 2.00 A.M leaves were softy rustling as a male figure wearing gloves and a ski mask moved quietly along side the Duke farmhouse and headed for the barn. Suddenly the man was startled by a sound and swiftly he ducked to the ground to make himself small and disappear behind one of the small bushes. He kept still behind the bushes for a couple of minutes until he was absolutely sure the sound could have been nothing more than a bird or a rodent. Slowly he got up and moved closer to the barn scolding himself this was not his kind of job. His fingers felt the gun he held in his pocket. He definitely hoped he was not forced to use it but if he had to he knew he would. There was just too much at stake for him to back out.

His eyes were used to the darkness for some time now, 'cause walking up to the farm had taken him some time. He hadn’t wanted to drive to close to the farm, afraid that it would wake the residents of the farm so instead he had parked somewhere a long the road and walked the last end. Finally he reached the entrance of the barn. The people who lived here most be very trusting people cause the doors of the barn were wide open and they had even let their keys in the orange race car that was parked in it. He pulled a small flashlight out of his inside pocket and searched for the cap that let to fuel tank. As he found it he kneeled next to it and pulled the cap of and searched for something in the canvas bag he had dragged over his shoulder, which made the sound of rustling paper. The man sighed as soon as he took the paperback that was filled with some kind of substance in his right hand and leaned over to the car. Suddenly he heard loud moving noises from behind and he jumped on his feet to see ho was there, but because his eye were used no to the small amount of light created by the flashlight he could not see clearly besides a body moving.

“You don’t wanna do that Ben.†He heard a familiar voice say but when he turned to where the voice came from a fell light blinded him and he could see nothing else but the hand holding the light. In panic Ben lunged for the light, but missed and before he could do anything he felt a hard blow in his face, beating him to the ground.

“So what were you thinking of doing to the General Ben?†The voice asked while he dragged him of the ground and pushed him against the wall.

“You’ve got a mean right hook there Luke.†Ben said rubbing his face being sure he most had broken something somewhere. “You knew that I was coming tonight didn’t you?â€

“I head my suspicions.†Luke affirmed “Hoped you wouldn’t actually you seemed nice enough. Guess you shook and jived us real good.â€

“Well hate to disappoint you then†Ben said not really sincere. ‘Now let go of me Luke, before bad thing are going to happen.â€

“It doesn’t really seem you’re in a bargaining position here mate.†Luke said while he tightened his grip.

“Don’t be to sure about that.†Ben replied and got the gun out of his pocket and pushed it against Luke’s lower stomach.

Now let go of me before I have to shoot you Luke.†Ben ordered

Luke had not expected Ben had carried a gun and as soon as he felt the metal pushing his belly he let go of the man.

“Okay it seems I was wrong, but don’t do anything stupid now.†Luke said while putting his hands in the air and stepping back slowly.

Ben lifted the gun so hit pointed at Luke's chest and forced him to move backwards. “I’m sorry Luke, but I guess since you ruined my plan I have to take the General with me. I can’t let ya’all win that race tomorrow.â€

“Well if you want that, you first have to pass me now don’t you!†Ben startled as he heard the new voice from behind and turned to see where it had come from. Of course Luke grabbed this chance to lunge for the gun but Ben did not let himself be overpowered that fast this time. Quickly he moved a side kicking Luke in the stomach as he had been stretch out to reach for the gun. Luke doubled up and this gave Ben the opportunity to take another step back and now point the gun at Bo. “Enough already!†Ben yelled, not at all liking how this evening was going. “Now both of you to the wall!†Bo and Luke both did as the man said and stood beside each other against the wall. “Well done cuz.†Bo grumbled “I kinda expected you to get that gun, not to get you ass kicked.†“Well if you had been a better diversion I might have actually had a chance.â€

“Shut up you two.†Ben yelled again not getting how these two could still be bickering at each other even when they were held at gun point. “Now look I’m real sorry, cause ya’all are real nice people, but I have to tie you up to be sure you’ll stay put while I’m taking the General.†He went on while he tossed them a rope that he had pulled out of his bag.

“Weird way of showing you’re sorry.†Bo said resentful.

Ben sighed. “Look I ain’t got time for explaining and you would not get it anyway so Luke you just against that pole and Bo you tie his hands behind his back and make sure they are tide around that pole.â€

Just for a moment it looked like Bo was grinning

“Sorry Luke.†Bo said while he got the rope. “But the man is holding a gun.â€

“So what you planning to do with the General.†Luke asked with an annoyed look on his face while he let Bo tie him up.

“I’ll ditch it somewhere way back so when you go look for it you will find it sooner or later, but not before I’m long gone and the race is over.â€

“How generous of you.†Bo replied, finished with tying up Luke “Now what?â€

Ben seemed to be thinking how he was getting the both of them tied up him not being able to lay the gun down. “Use this knife to cut the end of the rope and tie it around your own hand. The go and sit against that pole in the same way as Luke is.â€

“You know you’re not getting away with this right? People are going to be wondering if we don’t show up at that starting line in the morning. Now way you’re going to keep us here and drive that race yourself without somebody is finding out.â€

“Well I guess I have to find a way, now do as I told you.†Ben said annoyed moving the gun like he was aiming more preciously.â€

“Alright, alright, no need to get tense now.†Bo said and did as the man had instructed.

As soon as Bo settled himself against the pole and held his hand behind it Ben dared to kneel down next to him, putting the gun on the floor to tie Bo’s hands. Just seconds after he finished the last nod, again there were moving sounds and quickly Ben reached for the gun.

“Whoever’s out there, show you’re face.†He yelled while he kept the gun pointed to Bo’s face.

“Well no need for yelling like that, you wake up the whole darn farm.†Jesse’s familiar voice scolded while the farmer stepped in to the light “And I don’t take it kindly that you point a gun at my nephew either Mr. Haywoodâ€

Ben thought he was going crazy. This was not how he had planned this at all. How could everybody on this God forsaken farm now he would be coming here tonight.

Ben moved his aim to the farmer and grabbed his bag from the floor.

“I’m sorry Mr. Duke, but I have to ask you to go inside the farm with me, where I have to lock you op.â€

“Well that’s the second time I hear the guy say he’s sorry.†Bo said to no one in particular. “Haven’t they ever told you it’s better to be save than sorry?â€

Ben ignored him and moved closer to Jesse who was still standing in opening of the barn. He was surprised to see the farmer didn’t make any sign that he was ready to cooperate.

“Why don’t you just put down that gun Ben and we can talk about this.â€

“There’s nothing to talk about sure. It’s my duty to make sure none of you is entering the race tomorrow and I would like to do it without hurting anyone but if you force met than…..â€

“Than what Ben?†Jesse said looking deep in the man’s eyes. “Are you going to shoot us? Are you going to shoot me? Is that money Boss is paying you worth so much, you are willing to kill for it?â€

Ben didn’t answer the question. “Please just walk with me Mr. Duke so none of us have to find out.â€

“Ben your plan to fill this here fuel tank with sugar failed.†Jesse said while he pointed to the paper back with sugar that had fallen on the ground. “Your not dealing with machinery now, you’re dealing with people and you’re in over your head. The police will be on your tail every moment from now. How will you handle that?â€

“You forget I’m hired by the county commissioner himself. The law in on my site.†Ben argued, but he noticed his argument sounded weak.

“There are more law enforcers then just this sheriff’s department son. There is also the state police and they will only hunt you harder when they hear JD is some where involved in this. And like I told you earlier this morning, JD is not a very loyal person. If he’ll feel the heat he‘ll rat you out in a second to save his own hide.â€

Ben was silent for awhile. Why had this job to be so complicated? It was not like it was the first time he had to do something like this. People paid him to win a race, sometimes he had to cut a fuel line here and there, sometimes he had to do a bit of dirty driving, but never would anybody get seriously hurt, never would anybody have any serious prove against him and more important never would he know any of his opponents. What the **** happened that caused him to hold a gun pointed to some pour farmer he had just had diner with.

Jesse could see the desperate look on the man’s face and he knew he was getting somewhere.

“Now Ben maybe I’m wrong but I’ve got a feeling you’re not the kind of person who does this kind of thing because he likes to, so why don’t you just put down that gun, untie my nephews and maybe we can find a way to solve your problem together.â€

The offer seemed tempting but Ben did not know what to think.

“Ya better listen to the man Ben.†Bo said from his pole. “He tends to be right a lot.â€

“You don’t understand, I need this job, I need this money so I have to win this race.â€

“So how much is JD paying you actually? A million dollars?†Jesse asked with a sour face. If anything, the power of money disgusted him and most of the time he was just plain grateful that they didn’t had a lot of it lying around.

“Yeah tell the man, Ben. How much is your soul worth to you.†Bo grumbled.

“You just shut up!†Ben screamed at Bo while he pointed the gun at his head.

Jesse would be ready to strangle his youngest nephew, who definitely could not control his emotions like so many other times.

“I’m not going to stand here and arguing any further.†He said while he changed his aim to Jesse again. “Mr. Duke I’m going to ask you nicely one more time. Walk with me to the farmhouse please.â€

“Nice going Bo!†Luke hissed to his cousin

But as Ben walked up to Jesse the farmer did not move an inch. Jesse was about to take a gamble.

“Well Ben, if you want to go through with this it will mean you have to go and shoot me ‘cause I’m not intending to let you get away with that car.â€

It became dead quiet in the barn, like everybody had stopped breathing. Ben Haywood’s eyes narrowed as he lifted the gun a bit higher and he pulled it sharp………….

• 4 months later...

“Uncle Jesse….Maybe you ought to listen to the man.†Luke said getting pretty nervous.

“Yeah.†Bo replied weakly. “It’s just a race.â€

Both men had not counted on the current way that things were going. They had not thought of Ben to be really dangerous, not even thinking about him carrying a gun. But now, when he held their uncle at gunpoint, sweat started to burst out.

Jesse pretended not to hear them though. He looked at Ben without blinking or looking away, his face serene, his hands tranquil. Nothing in his behavior told a gun was pointed to his head.

“You know Daisy and Nick are also still in the house don’t you?†Jesse started talking again, without moving a muscle.

“What are you gonna do to them? Are you gonna shoot them after you’ve shot me? Cause Daisy sure won’t give in easily you know. She will fight you kicking and screaming as soon as she finds out you’ve been conning her.†Jesse looked at Ben as of he wanted to pierce his eyes and reach the brain. “So what you gonna do than Ben? Are you going to shoot them both to win your race?

“ Ow F*ck!!†Ben said more to him self then anyone else, moving his hands through his hair in a desperate way.

The thought of having to shoot a child and a woman seemed to be too much for him to handle.

His legs were getting weak and he crouched down to the ground letting the gun fall out of his hand while he started to moan softly.

“What the f*ck is wrong with this town man.†He groaned.

Jesse was wise enough to secure the handgun and put it out of reach of the stranger that was moaning at the floor of his barn.

“It’s Hazzard of course.†The old man said smiling while he cut the ropes that were binding Bo’s hands together. ‘Not much more to say about that.â€

It didn’t take Bo along time to release himself from the ropes around his feet and to free his cousin as well.

At the same time Ben Haywood had regained himself and was again standing on his two feet.

Bo walked up to him in a not so friendly way, obviously in question or he should punch the guy to the ground or not. “You sure to get that gun far away from him Uncle Jesse?†Bo asked whit lots of resentment in his voice while he was standing in front of his former capturer.

“Don’t worry about that Bo.†Ben replied in a defeated way. “I will leave ya’all alone. Before the race starts tomorrow I’ll be out of town.â€

“Not before you gave us some explanation of this whole happening.†Bo retorted.

“And I’ll be happy to punch it out of you, don’t worry about THAT!â€

“Easy Bo.†Luke interfered, knowing how much his younger cousin’s temper could resort in unhappy situations. “I’m sure Ben is dying to start talking, aren’t you Ben?†Luke said with a slight hind of sarcasm. .

“But not in here he isn’t†Jesse meddled before anyone could explain anything.

â€If we keep standing here all night, ya’all be to caught up with a pneumonia to do anything. Now lets get insideâ€

Of course nobody objected and not much later everybody was sitting in the living room where Daisy had been nervously waiting on their return.

“So start spilling.†Bo said impatience the second everybody had taken a chair.

“Well actually, not much you don’t know yet I guess.†Ben said with a helpless hand gesture.

“Boss Hogg hired me to make sure you wouldn’t win tomorrow’s race.â€

“Yeah we guessed that much.†Daisy snapped. Like Bo she was pretty upset being lied to. “But why you?â€

“Guess Boss heard of my name somewhere. I tend to make a living out of driving other people’s races.â€

“Doing some dirty driving I suppose?†Luke asked.

Ben looked Luke in the eye. “If it has to yes. A guy got to earn his living, doesn’t he?â€

‘Not a real honorable way of making a living.†Daisy retorted.

Ben got uneasy. He didn’t like the feeling to be judged.

“Look, when Boss Hogg called me, the only thing he said was, I had to drive a race for him. Nothing more nothing less. It wasn’t until I already had arrived in Hazzard, he started about taking you guys out of the race. No it wasn’t personal okay, just business. I had already driven up hear, so declining the job would mean loss of time end money. Not to mention Boss Hoff threatening I would not be able to get a job anywhere near this neighborhood if I screwed this one up.â€

“Sounds like Boss.†Daisy scorned. “So all about money wasn’t it.â€

“Nothing more than that.†Ben replied.

Jesse frowned. Something didn’t seem right. He looked at the young man, at the simple clothes he wore and the ragged canvas bag he dragged along

“You don’t seem much like the money type to me Ben.†Jesse said like he was thinking out loud. “Driving other peoples races most earn you enough. What are you doing with the money?â€

Ben was apparently getting nervous. “Don’t see why that’s important sir. Now I think it’s better if I went along. Don’t want to impose on you more like I’ve already done. Like I said before, I’ll be out of town before the race begins.â€

“End why are you so sure we will let you go.†Bo snapped. “We should call the state police you know; after all you pulled a gun at us.â€

Ben’s nerves almost gave in now. His hands started twitching and he moved nervously on his chair.

“You can’t do that…. You don’t understand…If I have to go to prison than…â€

“Than what?†Daisy asked. “Are you on some kind of drug or something, you need the money for.â€

Ben seemed to be amazed of her conclusion. “Drugs? No I’m not on drugs.†He said almost disgusted of the word.

“Well than what?†Luke repeated his cousin’s question “Why do you need the money for?â€

Ben sighed and gave in. “It’s my sister okay.†He spat out. “She’s sick. Pretty badly that is. She has been for years. Some kind of lung disease. The medicines are quit expensive and we aren’t that good insured, she still being in college as the darn thing struck her and me not really having a current job, now have I.â€

“But what about you parents?†Daisy said in a sympathetic voice. “Can’t they do nothing?â€

“Mom died years a go.†Ben shrugged his shoulder. “And that is in some kind of veterans home, think he’s Napoleon the one day and God the other.â€

“So when NASCAR didn’t workout, you decided to make the money for the medicine in some other way.†Bo summarized

“Exactly.†Ben affirmed. “Not like I ever went to college or something, to get a fancy job and make the money that way. The only thing I ever did was driving a car. I already had done some driving in the Nation Wide series, and you can imagine what a thrill it was when I get the offer to race for Melling Racing in the Winston Cup. Chance of a lifetime.†Ben suddenly became quiet.

“But it didn’t go as you had expected.†Bo guessed, even showing some kindness in his voice.

“Ya can say that again.†Ben replied. “At that time Jill became ill and well.., just couldn’t focus anymore. Endless nights without sleep resorted in sloppy driving. Made stupid mistakes, started to loose races and than finally the crash. I guess Melling draw the line there. Besides they found a new champ, Bill Elliot, he’s doing pretty well as I heard.â€

“That’s a real awful story.†Daisy said caring. “No wonder you take dirty jobs like this. Ya were just working to keep your sister alive.â€

Ben nodded. “So now you know, and you understand that if you were going to call the state police I would do anything within my power to get away from here.â€

“Put you didn’t pull the trigger.†Luke commented. “You could’ve, but you didn’tâ€

Ben sighed. “Well I guess there are some things that are just not within my powers no matter what the situation is like. But I will fight you if that’s what it takes to get out of here. â€

“Well let us not turn in to violence again yet.†Jesse stated in his all too familiar voice. “There must be away for all of us, to find some solution to this problem.â€

“I don’t see how sir….. If Hogg…..â€

“If JD what…..!†Jesse snapped. “We’ve dealt with him before and we can do it again. There must be a way for us all to drive in that race tomorrow, without anybody getting hurt, without vandalizing cars and without getting you in a fix with that low life of a JD Hogg.â€

All of the young adults grinned at the passionate response of the old farmer.

:â€But how sir?†Ben asked, still not thinking there was a solution, other then him quietly disappearing without his money and fearing never to find a job in Georgia again.

“Well Luke is gonna take care of that.†Jesse said with a simple smile.

“I am???†Luke replied amazed.

â€Yeah,†Jesse said as he came up from his chair and swatted his nephew friendly on the shoulder. “I’m sure you think of a good plan for us all. Now let us get to bed and have some hours of sleep. Ben, Daisy will get you a sleeping bag and a mattress so you can sleep here in the living room. Sorry that I can’t provide you with a proper guestroom but we are currently a bit overbooked.†And with those words the old man left the room, leaving the young adults on their own.

“Great!†Luke said sarcastically. “5 Hours before sun up, sure Luke thinks of something, doesn’t he always!â€

“That’s why we trust you so much cus.†Daisy said and kissed her dark haired cousin on the cheek before she left the room.

“Goodnight cus.†Bo replied almost sadistically and also swatted his cousin’s shoulder before leaving.

“Again great!†Luke snarled and in a desperate way he let his head fall back against the wall. .

• 2 years later...

The crack of dawn found Luke sleeping in his chair, only to be awakened by the squeaking sound floorboards in front of the stairs. Even though he was still a bit drowsy he realized it was still too early for anyone to be out of bed, definitely because of their midnight adventure. The thought of Ben sneaking out of their house anyway despite of their conversation of the night before made him angry. Quickly he hurried to the porch and waited around the door opening with his back to the wall for Ben to step outside. Slowly he heard careful footsteps coming closer and also the farm door was opened in a very subtle manner. Very much counting on Ben’s stature to appear Luke was just as much surprised to see a person 10 inch shorter coming through the door.