Can anybody help me with this?

just_me

Since i wass a kid i've bin a fan of everything that includes cars, Night Rider, Michael Valliant and ofcourse DOH the most of all.

I was sure that when I would hit 18 (legal driving age here in Holland) i would get my drivers lincense immediately.

It didn't happen as I planned becauce a few days after i turned 18 i 'had to go in to the hospital for surgery and after that I went of to college and i didn't had the money to take drivers lessons.

I still wanted to get my drivers licence as soon as I'd get the chance but, last christmas a very good friend of mine died in a car crash. The idea of him being a very carefull driver and still end up dead scared the H--l out of me so much I didn't wanna drive anymore.

Last Sunday my family and I went to a theme park where they had a cart-track. (small but fast vehicles). I didn't really wanted to go at first, but seeing how much fun everybody had I made myself get over it.

So ofcourse I picked the orange Cart :D and gave it a try.

I drove my daddy, my brother and his friend all of the track end ended up first!!! Yeehah Girlpower!!!!

Now the urge to get my lincence is back, but i'm still scared of actually getting in to a car and mingle in traffic and I can't shake it.

Does anybody know this problem? Can anybody give me tips or advice how to lose this thing?

I'm really convinced I have to do this now. (Otherwise i'll by fifty and I'll still didn't do it)

Not only for the fun of driving but what if I have to get somebody to the hospital some day or something and I don't know how to drive a car?

Hope ya'll have some advise for me.

JM

just_me,

First off - welcome to HazzardNet!

I know how frightening it can be to get your license, especially when someone you know dies in a car wreck. When I first got my learners permit someone in my high school died in a car accident and it was tough to get back in the car and start driving. But where I lived, I didn't have a choice, if I wanted to go anywhere I had to drive.

The best advice I can give you is to take it slowly, if possible when you first start driving, stay more in the country, light traffic, don't go right into the middle of the city to start, if you can help it. It will probably be scary for the first few times, but it will be worth it.

One thing that always helps me is to have the radio on low (most instructors will say not to, but I find that as long as you leave it on one station and don't get distracted by changing it, it helps you when you're nervous).

Good luck!

LS3

There's actually a DOH episode that deals with one of the characters having a phobia of driving after he supposedly runs someone off the road and kills them (although the person isn't really dead and it was a set up). Dunno if you would care to watch it, as it is a Coy and Vance episode, but you could probably relate.

I'm glad you've waited to get your driver's liscense. Over here, I almost got mine at 15, but flunked out of the driving class. When I got it a year later by passing the test, I managed to wreck two cars before I was out of high school. The U.S. could use an age restriction, but too many parents count on teenagers driving early so they can get jobs, run siblings around, etc.

My advice is practice, practice, practice. Work your way up from the country roads to city traffic and highways. And despite what friends may want you to do, don't do anything stupid. Two teenagers here died by drag racing on a country road and running head-on into an SUV. As long as you follow the basic road protocol, you should be fine.

This is a hard situation to work through. I agree with LS3 that trying to learn out in the country will help out a lot. I went through the same thing when I was 16. I was involved in an accident, but thank goodness no one was seriously hurt. I had only had my license for about five months and I didn't want to drive at all. I wanted to sell my car, that with some shade tree mechanics done on it still ran unbelievably, but my parents talked me out of it. It took me over two months before I'd get behind the wheel again, but by taking short drives, staying out of heavy traffic, etc, I built my confidence back up again. Now I love driving again, I don't know what I'd do without my car to race up and down gravel roads or through the middle of town. A few months ago, I was hit again in the rear end, it shook me up some, but within five minutes I was heading off to work. IMO you just have to realize that things can happen, just be as alert as you can.

Hello there Just Me,

First off want to say I’m sorry for the loss of you friend. I know how much it hurts to lose a friend in a car crash. This past weekend I lost a friend because of a drunk drive. A 24 old kid though that he was invincible and could drive home. The kid was going over a 100mph when he hit my friend flipping the jeep he was in and killing him.

Driving is something that can be really fun and scary at the same time. I have been driving for many years now and I’m one of those person that say if it got wheels and a motor I’m all for it. I have done a many thing in car and truck from racing to off-roading. I say go get you license but respect it. I have always been raised that you respect a vehicle. Now that many sound funny respect a vehicle but it true. A vehicle can and is a deadly weapon, if it is abused. Now if you respect the vehicle and the law thing will be ok. To many people push the limit with respect now a days and when that happens the limit can no long hold and thing come crashing down. Driving is a not necessitate, it’s a pleasure we all have. So go get you license and have fun driving but just respecting the laws, their vehicle and other.

• 2 months later...

Second lesson went terrible,

The instructor was late, so we had to drive some other student home first. Correction, I had to drive the other student home first and because of this we took a much more difficult route then planned. With big crossroads and round a bout's and It was dark and it rained and hailed an I had to drive (use) the stick for the first time. :o (That's how ya call it right?) Anyway all kind of things an experience driver would laugh about but too me it was very diffecult.

Most important thing though, is that I still had fun none of the less. And the third lesson last friday went great, even so well I 'd got over exited and let go of the weel for a couple of secconds. (':oops:')

You can imagine how my instructor reacted on this.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun. I have to admitt though I still ain't no hero in that car. The fastest we went was about 80 KM/H that's about 50 MpH and I thought that was really fast. (please don't laugh at me) Don't think I wanna go any faster for a while :D

lov,

JM