Runaway Satellite!

MonacoMan

I’m not gonna lie... I do not care for Season 2’s “The Runaway”. I remember watching this one when it originally aired. I never cared for the plot...but, the worst aspect was losing Daisy’s 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Coupe! :( 

I loved that car, 2nd only to General Lee...but, the story goes that supposedly they found it hard to find replacement parts for the Satellite (although the car was barely 9 years old at the time? :wacko:) & Jeep offered the show some new 1980 models to showcase, so they had Daisy’s Plymouth destroyed by running it over a cliff. :mad: :angry: :cry:

Then they bring in this dorky (my opinion) white Jeep called ‘Dixie’. :duh: Daisy finishes out the show with the Jeep (a couple different model years were used throughout the show’s run), but I will always love the Satellite best!!   (Note: the episode “Arrest Jesse Duke” aired 2 episodes before this, and for whatever reason/s was aired out of order...as Daisy already had Dixie with no explanation.)

I’d add a photo of the Satellite, but no matter what pic (of anything or anyone) I try to add, it always says it’s supposedly too big. :roll: 

I think it was the '73 Road Runner that they had trouble getting parts for, despite it being a later model. I'm pretty sure that the decision to switch to the Jeep was mainly because of the sponsorship, although it also meant that we got to see more of Cathy's legs!

On 9/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, MonacoMan said:

I’d add a photo of the Satellite, but no matter what pic (of anything or anyone) I try to add, it always says it’s supposedly too big.

You should probably check out image hosting sites. Flickr lets you host up to 1,000 images for free.

Here's a picture of the Satellite (which they painted to look like the later Road Runner):

RoadRunnerWheels2.jpg

11 hours ago, HossC said:

I think it was the '73 Road Runner that they had trouble getting parts for, despite it being a later model. I'm pretty sure that the decision to switch to the Jeep was mainly because of the sponsorship, although it also meant that we got to see more of Cathy's legs!

You should probably check out image hosting sites. Flickr lets you host up to 1,000 images for free.

Here's a picture of the Satellite (which they painted to look like the later Road Runner):

RoadRunnerWheels2.jpg

Yeah,  I’ve read before that originally it was the Road Runner that they started having trouble finding replacement parts for. So, they switched to the Satellite.  However, eventually for whatever reason they started having trouble finding parts for it too...although neither car were that old at the time & I find it hard to believe that the Chrysler Corporation didn’t have parts to order if needed. People seem to find parts nowadays, when restoring or fixing them up.

I think you’re right...the decision to destroy the Plymouth Satellite was to showcase the new Jeep. To each his or her own...but I seriously disagree with that decision. Daisy should have kept the Satellite.

The image of the Satellite you posted looks to be from IMCDb (even if someone posted it on Flickr, as well). I too have tried using the pic, but no matter where I get it from, this site always says it’s too big. This is the only fansite I have trouble posting photos on sometimes. I’m not sure how you got it to work?? 

Edited by MonacoMan

12 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

The image of the Satellite you posted looks to be from IMCDb (even if someone posted it on Flickr, as well). I too have tried using the pic, but no matter where I get it from, this site always says it’s too big. This is the only fansite I have trouble posting photos on sometimes. I’m not sure how you got it to work?? 

The image is similar to the one on IMCDb, but it's a screengrab that I made and host in my Photobucket account. I originally posted it in the Dukes of Hazzard Diecast Models thread.

4 hours ago, HossC said:

The image is similar to the one on IMCDb, but it's a screengrab that I made and host in my Photobucket account. I originally posted it in the Dukes of Hazzard Diecast Models thread.

I have the 1:18 scale diecast model of it—with Daisy’s action figure sitting on the hood. :tup: I also have 1:18 scale diecast models of all the “Dukes” vehicles (with action figures displayed in or beside them), except the Jeep & Cooter’s tow truck—which I think are now available. I also wish a diecast model of Boss Hogg’s Caddy would be created, but probably won’t happen.

Whatever thread I create or post in on this site, I can’t ever get photos to work...it always says they’re too big, regardless of the size. Not sure how to change the size, or how to get them to work? I’m not a techie. :spin: