Dukes of Hazzard Movie Review Thread - Post Reviews Here!

Now that I think of it, I sorta remember hearing Sorrell "Boss Hog" Booke was from Buffalo. I forgot about that.

As for what I do in the burbs of Buffalo, or as you say, "Hazzard Of Buffalo", I'm a Machine Operator at Amherst Solutions, which is a plastic injesction molding facility in the Amherst Audubon Industrial Park near Sweet Home Rd. Previously called Ultra Tool & Plastics, and then PAR Industries. We make radiator endcaps for Delphi in Lockport. After work, I drink at Stockman's Tavern, sorta like the Boars Nest, but not as big and there's no "Daisy" working there. (No, I'm NOT trying to condone a bad habit!)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy all,

JD Jr. is back. So my story ideas for a New Dukes Series were shot out of the water. I had proposed a limited 13 episode run, culminating in a cliffhanger type episode reminiscent of Dallas and The Simpsons in the vein of "Who Shot..." I will leave it at that...

Now as for a review of the updated Dukes of Hazzard...

When I first heard about the casting, I was really upset. Stifler is not Bo, Jackass is not Luke, Willie Nelson had the look for Uncle Jesse and Burt Reynolds is not fat enough to even be related to a Hogg. I had no opinion on Roscoe, Cooter, or Daisy.

Now fast forward to Late May / Early June. They announce the delay of the opening weekend for the movie. This kinda pisses me off, as I still had an open mind. Then I saw the trailer. I was scarred for life. Aside from the awesome looking car stunts, the acting was bland, and the jokes were horrible.

Now August 6th rolls around and I am armed with my free ticket, thanks to WB and the Third Season, and an open mind. I figured, okay maybe after the mediocre trailer, they would have fixed it up in the editing room. Boy was I wrong. I spend the evening watching Sky High, which was rather enjoyable, and then I sat down to watch the Dukes of Hazzard.

Bo's relationship with The General was MAJORLY disconcerting, especially after announcing to two girls that the General was a "HE" and not a "SHE".

I really think they confused Roscoe with Sheriff Little...except for whatsisface not being Black.

What really got me going was the fact that Boss "Hogg", if you can call him that was never TOTALLY in WHITE anytime in this movie!!! In his first scene and while at the Boars Nest he had a GREY STRIPED SHIRT under his vest. At the Race he was wearing a CREME colored suit! And the fact that he referred to Roscoe as his "Dog".

I had a huge problem with the Drug References and the "Punk'ding". No real family bonding and Uncle Jesse's lame jokes. Sheev was unnecessary, but some of the stuff he did was a little humourous, like the Armadillo helmet.

I think I will try and correct this movie by writing a semi-sequel fanfic that tries to correct some of the more blatant errors in the film. But that is just me.

Besides the lame "CSA Flag-Hating" scene, I felt the scene were Bo and Luke are trying to pass for Japanese Scientists was kinda dumb. I really don't think we'd ever see John Schnieder's and Tom Wopat's Bo & Luke either try to set each other on fire with a propane torch, and/or vacuum off the lab coat, in which the vacuum coughs up black soot on their faces. :roll:

Some of the things they did to each other screamed JACKASS rather than we're cousins, we watch each other's backs, and have respect for each other.

As for the Flag Scene, that was more offensive than if they left it off the car.

The other really enjoyable thing was the outtakes (even if they were rude and crude, 'specially that comment by the "governor")

I'm gone...

J.D. Hogg Jr.

ok...you're right...It did show closed-mindedness.

I meant that it was offensive to the Flag itself, not to anyone in particular. I guess that prejudice does go both ways, and that was the filmmaker's way of showing how ignorant some people can really be.

Any way...just thought I should clear my explanation up...don't want anyone to misunderstand me...

I'm gone...

Well......I just seen the movie and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be........but........it's not like the Dukes at all. I didn't like the way they made Cooter look dumb. I didn't understand Sheeves at all. Some parts of the movie seemed like what the Dukes would do and say. The characters of Bo and Luke seemed switched. Bo is usually the one with all the girls and in the movie it was Luke.

That's what I think............ :D

if it was named anything else it would have been a better movie

i didnt know they could say that many four letter words in a movie

they could have followed the original story better the dukes are ex moonshiners and whats up with the doors of the genral once the car was orange the doors never opened

boss and rosco were too eviel

Well I'm 41 one of the old dogs around. I was 15 when Dukes first aired. Now I'm a fanatic of the TV Dukes not the imposters on the movie screen. Now going by the definition of the word fanatic,a fanatic is by no means Open minded go look it up in the dictionary. Having said that,I saw the movie and no I didn't pay to see it nor did I use the free ticket from the DVD, and no one paid my way,you figure it out how I saw it.I watched expecting the worst and thats exactly what I got. Everyone keeps saying "Dont compare it to the TV version" or "It's not that far different from the five Georgia episodes." I'm sorry but 140 other episodes were the Dukes to me not that I don't like the fab 5 as some call those episodes. Another excuse everyone is using is it's 2005 not 1979 and using numbers is just lame. Just a case on how sad society has become. Moral values have gone and yes I know Bo and Luke broke the law all the time but were allways cleared. Anyone who took very young children to see the movie remember the next time your kid comes up and says G-d da-- you or other foul language, you better not say a thing or punish them because they are gonna say"Bo and Luke said that in the movie so it's ok" The only good in the movie was General Lee and the stunts and thats it.

Let me start by saying I have read some of the reviews posted here but not all of them so if any of this is redundant, I apologize in advance.

I finally went & watched this based upon the fact that I held a free ticket courtesy of my Season 3 DVDs. Overall I did not enjoy this film. I thought the changing of Uncle Jesse from the fatherlike patriarch into a bad-joke-teller was a poor choice. I had heard all of those jokes on numerous occasions and they were only moderately funny the first time. I had heard that the flim makers were going for a slightly more serious tone than the show, and that was pretty evident in how Boss and Rosco were portrayed. But that completely ruined Rosco and seemed to only fit a Burt Reynolds version of Boss, whom I thought did a good job in playing the character the film makers wanted. They were completely evil and lacked no moral substance like their TV counterparts possessed when it really mattered. The choice for Cooter was okay, though not on screen even close to enough. Instead screen time was filled with Skeev?! Enos was not goofy enough, and Cletus, was he even in the movie?

Now for the main three: Daisy-I'll admit I thought Ms Simpson was a bad choice from the get-go. But, after watching her deliver lines it was obvious she did possess the ability to be more than just a "hood ornament." Unfortunately, that was all she was portrayed as. The TV Daisy was there to look good when that was what was needed but she was also the smartest and most educated of the family. Luke-Mr Knoxville was great for the look, but he was reduced to someone to fill the passenger seat while Bo drove. There was no older, wiser Duke; no more-mechanically-inclined Duke. Bo-I would say out of the entire main cast of this film, Seann William Scott best captured the essence of John Schneider's Bo. At times a little too wild, but no serious complaints.

The only real slightly redeeming quality of the film was The General got the big budget movie treatment he deserved; the stunts looked great. On the other hand, the scenes involving the Confederate flag on top of the car were just inane and pointless. Displaying that flag does not equal racsim, plain and simple. All and all, the movie failed because they turned multi-faceted characters into one dimentional ones. I don't mind language in a film when it's present to create realism in a situation (i.e. Boyz N The Hood) or used creatively (i.e. Tarantino's films). But in this film it was used seemingly for the sake of using it and sounded out of place in Hazzard.

That's it...Sorry so long.

Brent

Hey Brent,I agree with a lot of what you said,and yes cleatus was in the movie,not much but there!

Remember when Roscoe and Boss had jessie and (ooops,forgot her name)(linda carter) tied up on a chair at the duke farm,and the boys showed up?

well the one who told roscoe,they're here was cleatus! Not sure,but I think cleatus was at the road block to prevent people from getting to the court house???

I liked the choice for cooter,he was the most southern actor of them all and was the closest to the original cooter!(Ben Jones)

I saw the film August 5th when it opened and on the 12th at the drive in. It was different from the show but I still enjoyed it. I think Sean William Scott was a terrific Choice for Bo. I also that Johnny Knoxville was also a good choice for Luke. They weren't a carbon copy of the TV counterparts but still were enjoyable. Jessica Simpson She is very attractive but I hated her fake southern accent and her character in my opinion was used just for her body which is very nice. Willie as Uncle Jessie - I am not sure what to say about him he played a good dirty old man character he was no Family Patriarch. My problem with Boss and Roscoe is that they were to serious they weren't the bumbling fools we all love. Cooter was a fine choice.

I really disapproved of the ending when they all came out of the "Smoke House" I can see the dirty jokes and stuff but the hints of Drug Use was inappropriate. I brought my 4 year old with who loves the Dukes and thankfully when he saw it both times with me that went right over his head.

Overall I thought it was a good movie and I will purchase the DVD when released. I give it a 3 1/2 out of 4.

"Capt_Redneck": Sorry..........Don't think so about talking myself into liking it. I have been very openminded about it since the beginning.

-------Well Sparky, I`m just going by YOUR statement:

" I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride."

.....That doesn`t sound too "openminded" to me, but more predisposed --or "Mind Made Up" if you prefer.

Even from "the opening" you KNEW that this was going to be bla-bla-bla...

Hey Goober, eh I mean PALADIN..........What is with calling me "Sparky" ?.....Just because you are a newbie on here and didn't like the movie, doesn't mean you do that....

Read into it what you want. But you are dead wrong buddy....I will not get into me explaining myself to you in this thread. Go back and read my posts about it for the past year......

'Captain Redneck"...The name just says it all, I guess....

I`ve lived all my life in The South, and most rednecks I have met are MORONS. (Now, "Good Ol` Boys" are smart...but "Rednecks"...? )

Well frankly, SPARKY, it`s not so much the movie that I don`t like...it`s you. That`s what makes you "Sparky". --And in case it needs spelling out, I`m NOT your "buddy". I`m not looking for online friends.

I`ve also got better things to do than dwell too much upon your rantings . I`ve quoted precisely what you said here, and your comments were heavily biased, despite your posturing yourself as being "open-minded". :roll:

As for your puerile lil` attempt at putting me down & brushing me off with the "newbie" remark...

(underlined, yet! :roll: )

GROW UP. That sort of elementary school crap is how children and the mentally defficient rank each other. You want "bragging rights" ...because you`ve wasted more time on a message board longer than someone else has??.........

That`s pretty SAD, Sparky.

If racking up post counts on a message board is how you measure the validity of someone`s opinion, then you need a serious REALITY CHECK.

But then, I have already said as much. You don`t even understand your own comments, yet tell me to read them....

YOU READ YOUR POSTS.

" I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride."

Personally, I`ve got better things to do than argue online with A Fool over a very foolish movie.

I`ll leave you to enjoy your little play world now, where your mighty post count makes you worth more than others, who are but lowly "newbies".... :roll:

No wonder you loved the movie so....Like yourself, it was a lotta BS.

Good ol' boys are rednecks so there! Take that and i'm a good ol' boy and a redneck all in one and i love it, i love it, i love it. Kew, kew, kew. YEEHAW I love them dukes there the best.

I saw the movie last week and I have several different opinions of it. The first is I think they shouldn't have had Bo and Luke act like they were so dumb....in the series both Bo and Luke were a lot smarter...I think they might have gotten more viewers also if the original cast had done the movie....all in all though the movie was pretty hilarious and I'll most likely buy it when it comes out on dvd to add to my collection....my favorite parts in the movie was where the General made those awesome jumps.

WELL I GUESS IT'S MY TURN TO GIVE MY OPINION...HAHAHA...IVE READ ALOT OF CONTRASTING ONES AND IM SURE MINE IS NO DIFFERENT. I LIKED AND DISLIKED IT. WHAT I MEAN IS...IF I WAS GOING TO WATCH THIS MOVIE WITH A DIFFERENT NAME LIKE 'GOOD OLD BOYS DRIVING FAST' I WOULD SAY FUN MOVIE. LOTS OF GOOD ACTION AND CAR DRIVNG AND HUMOR. NOW IF I WATCHED IT AS THE 'DUKES OF HAZZARD', THEN I DIDNT LIKE IT. OTHER THAN THE GENERAL LEE BEING IN IT, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL AT ALL. BETWEEN ALL THE TIMES THEY TOOK THE LORD'S NAME IN VAIN, THE 'POT' SMOKE POURING OUT OF THE ROOM THEN THE BARN AT THE END, SHERRIFF ROSCO BEING MEAN AND UGLY, BOSS HOGG BEING MEAN AND UGLY TOO (EVEN THOUGH I LOVE BURT REYNOLDS), BO AND LUKE BEING NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL IN EVERYWAY, THEY RAN MOONSHINE ...ETC THIS LIST GOES ON. SO I GUESS WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT ITS A FUN MOVIE IF YOU WATCH IT AS A COMPLETE SEPARATE ENTITY FROM THE ORIGINAL DUKES BECAUSE THERE IS NO LIKENESS OF THE SHOW HERE. NOW I'M SURE THE YOUNGER GENERATION LOVED IT AND WILL DISAGREE WITH ME, BUT IM OLD SCHOOL DUKES AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY. IT JUST SADDENS ME THAT SOME YOUNGER PEOPLE MIGHT THINK THAT THIS IS WHAT THE DUKES WAS ALL ABOUT, AND ITS NOT......LIKE I SAID THIS IS ALL JUST MY LITTLE OLD OPINION!!!.....:)

I saw the movie on August 5 when it first came out, I was skeptical about it, but the only reason I really went to go see it was because I had the free movie ticket from the Dukes' Season 3 DVD set. I didn't think the movie was terrible, but I didn't think it was anything special, either. Just average. The acting by Johnny Knoxville & Sean William Scott wasn't too bad, but I thought their southern accents sounded way to fake & overdone. Jessica Simpsons' accent just sounded ridiculous. I understand they tried to modernize it a little bit, but I didn't care for how they portrayed the characters. None of the characters really seemed to have even some of the same traits as the original. It was atrocious how they had Willie Nelson portray Uncle Jesse! Uncle Jesse was the father-figure, the family patriarch! The man you could always trust & turn to for good, wise advice. Willie made him out to be a pot-smokin, poor joke tellin, dirty mouthed, hippie. What a disgrace to Denver Pyle. And Daisy, Jessica kinda portrayed Daisy as a dits and as some kind of stripper. The original Daisy Duke/Cathy Bach was very smart and didn't have to take her clothes off to defend herself. True, in the first episode of Duke's 'One Armed Bandits' Daisy wears a bikini, but she doesn't try to seduce Enos on his desk to get information out of him. Overall, I just didn't think the movie had the feel of a Dukes episode. Most of the elements were there, but the magic of the original was missing. They had a balladeer, the characters, the General Lee, but it was lacking somethin. I also didn't care for the profanity or the drug-related humor. Again, I understand they tried to make this movie for 2005 not 1979, but that's a slap in the face to the original, the original Dukes of Hazzard was a family-oriented show. Now, it was cool to see the General Lee again, but I didn't even think the car stunts were all that impressive. They did more spectacular car stunts in one episode of the original show than they did in this entire movie! Overall, I thought the movie was OK and enjoyable, but I probably won't be seeing it again or buyin it on DVD.

My review:

I thought it was very good, exept for the swearing. The stunts were great, the humour was great, and the bit where Luke flies by the General on the safe was priceless! :lol: My overall favorite part was the bit where Rosco (He looked quite like James Best- a LOT.) was at the end of the alley, expecting the General to rush out it's old crappy self. But Cooter overhauled it, so the lights "Flashed" (Pardon the pun) in Rosco's eyes, the new Hemi revved, and it sped out a racing machine! 8)

Overall, 9/10! :wink:

My overall favorite part was the bit where Rosco (He looked quite like James Best- a LOT.)

To this point I have not given my review of the movie because it matches what a lot of other people have said. But I have to disagree with the above statement. Rosco neither looked, or acted like the "real" Rosco, in my opinion.

I enjoyed the car stunts in the movie, I even enjoyed some of the lines in the movie, but I did not like the way most of the characters interacted in this movie. I hated the fact the Boss and Rosco were meaner than in the original. I didn't like all of the swearing on the part of all of the Dukes (including Uncle Jesse). The antagonistic nature of Bo and Luke's friendship had it's humorous moments, but I would have preferred that Bo and Luke be friends, rather than trying to hurt each other.

One of the strenths of the original series was how the cast worked together, that did not happen in this movie, at all.

Overall, the movie was slightly better than I had hoped, but not as good as it could have been. I didn't expect the movie to be an exact replica of the series (actually, the movie Bo and Luke won points with me because at least they were their own characters, not clones like Coy and Vance). But I did expect some of the elements of the Dukes to be there.

The only true elements of the Dukes of Hazzard I could see were the "formula" for writing a script. In other words, most Duke's episodes had a few things in common. Car chases (mandatory), Boss's greed (though in the series he usually turned out to be a good guy), Boss trying to get the farm, and a lesson at the end of the episode.

The movie had these elements, but they did not mesh as well as they usually did in the series.

For me by far the best part of the movie was the General on the big screen (flying or driving), I haven't decided if I will go to see it in the theater again for the General, but I might, just for the General. I will likely buy it for my collection - again because of the General Lee.

I would have enjoyed the movie much more if the character elements were in place as well. Not commenting on individual acting ability, and I certainly didn't expect the original cast to be in the movie (maybe if they had made it 20 years ago...), but I would have liked the movie a lot better if the Dukes truly acted like a family, and if Boss and Rosco had the kind of Laurel and Hardy type relationship that James Best and Sorrell Booke brought to the characters.

For me there will only ever be one true Dukes of Hazzard cast - but I am grateful to the movie for one reason - it's kept the Dukes of Hazzard alive in one form or another, and has hopefully generated enough interest to keep the Dukes going for many more years.

LS3