Dukes of Hazzard/ Dallas Similarities

Greetings from Hazzard Tn.

There was something I wanted to share on the forums that I thought was rather interesting. I really feel that there were certain common things that the Dukes of Hazzard and the Prime Time Soap Dallas mutually shared. I've always felt strongly about this and this is the first time I'm sharing these thoughts. I really feel the Dukes and Dallas ran parallel to each other because of similar incidents on both shows.

1: GROWING POPULARITY: Even though the Ewings had been on a year before the Dukes, Dallas officially moved to Friday nights on the very same night the Dukes made their debut. And from there, both shows grew together in popularity at the same time. While Hazzard fans couldn't wait to see the Duke boys outrun Rosco P. Coltrane, late night viewers were dying to know Who Shot J.R.?

2: DEPARTURES AND PRODIGAL RETURNS: When both shows reached the peak of their popularities, major cast members left the shows for different reasons and the shows suffered. When Tom Wopat and John Schneider left the Dukes of Hazzard, Bo and Luke were replaced by Coy and Vance and the show suffered. In 1985, Patrick Duffy left Dallas and Bobby Ewing was killed off. Even though it made for a good storyline or two, the show suffered without him and it started to imitate it's ABC competitor Dynasty with Greek characters and odd plots.

However, Bo and Luke returned to the Dukes and Coy and Vance left at the same time and all felt right with the world. Meanwhile, after nearly one year, Larry Hagman made an appeal to Patrick Duffy to return to Dallas and he appeared in the final scene lathering it up in the shower. The result? Pam dreamed that Bobby had died. Although it was lame, it was the only logical way to resurrect Bobby from the dead and the show felt right again. Once again, all was right with the world.

3: CHEAP ENDINGS: The Dukes and Dallas got real cheap in their last seasons. The Dukes started filming jump sequences with miniature cars in the final season. This process actually started in Cooter's Confession, the 6th season finale. And for it's last two final seasons, Dallas no longer went to film on location in Texas. It was all California at that point, let alone most of the original cast memebrs were gone by then.

4: REUNION MOVIES: The Dukes and Dallas both had 2 reunion movies each and the first ones were better received than the last ones.

5: ACCENTS: Even though the Dukes are southern and Dallas is in Texas, the accents are at least similar and give you a southern feel to them.

6: GUEST STARS: Morgan Woodward, Morgan Brittany, and Audrey Landers of Dallas all appeared in the Dukes. Morgan Brittany only appeared once while the other two appeared twice. Denver Pyle did two episodes of Dallas in the 12th season in 1990 and still looked like

Uncle Jesse.

If anyone here who watches or enjoys Dallas, you'll know what I've been talking about. If not, you've learned something new.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

Greetings from Hazzard Tn.

There was something I wanted to share on the forums that I thought was rather interesting. I really feel that there were certain common things that the Dukes of Hazzard and the Prime Time Soap Dallas mutually shared. I've always felt strongly about this and this is the first time I'm sharing these thoughts. I really feel the Dukes and Dallas ran parallel to each other because of similar incidents on both shows.

1: GROWING POPULARITY: Even though the Ewings had been on a year before the Dukes, Dallas officially moved to Friday nights on the very same night the Dukes made their debut. And from there, both shows grew together in popularity at the same time. While Hazzard fans couldn't wait to see the Duke boys outrun Rosco P. Coltrane, late night viewers were dying to know Who Shot J.R.?

2: DEPARTURES AND PRODIGAL RETURNS: When both shows reached the peak of their popularities, major cast members left the shows for different reasons and the shows suffered. When Tom Wopat and John Schneider left the Dukes of Hazzard, Bo and Luke were replaced by Coy and Vance and the show suffered. In 1985, Patrick Duffy left Dallas and Bobby Ewing was killed off. Even though it made for a good storyline or two, the show suffered without him and it started to imitate it's ABC competitor Dynasty with Greek characters and odd plots.

However, Bo and Luke returned to the Dukes and Coy and Vance left at the same time and all felt right with the world. Meanwhile, after nearly one year, Larry Hagman made an appeal to Patrick Duffy to return to Dallas and he appeared in the final scene lathering it up in the shower. The result? Pam dreamed that Bobby had died. Although it was lame, it was the only logical way to resurrect Bobby from the dead and the show felt right again. Once again, all was right with the world.

3: CHEAP ENDINGS: The Dukes and Dallas got real cheap in their last seasons. The Dukes started filming jump sequences with miniature cars in the final season. This process actually started in Cooter's Confession, the 6th season finale. And for it's last two final seasons, Dallas no longer went to film on location in Texas. It was all California at that point, let alone most of the original cast memebrs were gone by then.

4: REUNION MOVIES: The Dukes and Dallas both had 2 reunion movies each and the first ones were better received than the last ones.

5: ACCENTS: Even though the Dukes are southern and Dallas is in Texas, the accents are at least similar and give you a southern feel to them.

6: GUEST STARS: Morgan Woodward, Morgan Brittany, and Audrey Landers of Dallas all appeared in the Dukes. Morgan Brittany only appeared once while the other two appeared twice. Denver Pyle did two episodes of Dallas in the 12th season in 1990 and still looked like

Uncle Jesse.

If anyone here who watches or enjoys Dallas, you'll know what I've been talking about. If not, you've learned something new.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

Well, we don't particulary care for Dallas...but our Mom sure does. In fact, Mom had to take Dad to a doctor's appointment this afternoon and Amanda had to sit through Dallas so she could tell Mom how Ray's trial turned out. He was acquitted.

We have noticed some similarities in both being 80's southern type shows, but some things you pointed out are new to us. We've thought of several Dallas/Dukes crossover ideas, but none were really good enough to write down. One involved Enos meeting the people on Knots Landing in California. Is is true Sonny Shroyer guest starred on Knotts once?

Well, we don't particulary care for Dallas...but our Mom sure does. In fact, Mom had to take Dad to a doctor's appointment this afternoon and Amanda had to sit through Dallas so she could tell Mom how Ray's trial turned out. He was acquitted.

We have noticed some similarities in both being 80's southern type shows, but some things you pointed out are new to us. We've thought of several Dallas/Dukes crossover ideas, but none were really good enough to write down. One involved Enos meeting the people on Knots Landing in California. Is is true Sonny Shroyer guest starred on Knotts once?

I also watch Dallas, I have the first three seasons on DVD. Lot's of Dallas guest-stars appeared on Dukes: Morgan Woodward, Audrey Landers, Morgan Brittany, Clifton James, Theodore Wilson, Dennis Holihan, Sam Melville, John Larch, Michael Alldredge, Norman Alden, Parley Baer, Nicholas Coster, Colleen Camp, Martha Smith, Tracy Scoggins, Andra Akers, Lindsay Bloom, Danone Simpson-Camden.

I also watch Dallas, I have the first three seasons on DVD. Lot's of Dallas guest-stars appeared on Dukes: Morgan Woodward, Audrey Landers, Morgan Brittany, Clifton James, Theodore Wilson, Dennis Holihan, Sam Melville, John Larch, Michael Alldredge, Norman Alden, Parley Baer, Nicholas Coster, Colleen Camp, Martha Smith, Tracy Scoggins, Andra Akers, Lindsay Bloom, Danone Simpson-Camden.