I Don't Understand the Negative Coy/Vance Attitude

fairmont83

They didn't cause anyone to leave the show. Somebody had to fill in. I honestly think they did a great job until Bo/Luke returned. I enjoy their shows and think they should be considered a part of the Duke family. It seems like a lot of people think of them as villians and I just don't get it. If you guys ever read this board I for one say thanks for holding down the fort.

They didn't cause anyone to leave the show. Somebody had to fill in. I honestly think they did a great job until Bo/Luke returned. I enjoy their shows and think they should be considered a part of the Duke family. It seems like a lot of people think of them as villians and I just don't get it. If you guys ever read this board I for one say thanks for holding down the fort.

A lot of fans understand that if Coy and Vance hadn't filled in the series would have likely been cancelled.

I think that the problem most people have with Coy and Vance actually stems from WB requiring that they try to act as carbon copies of Bo and Luke. Had they been allowed to develop their own characters, I think that they would be more able to be considered as part of the Duke family.

LS3

A lot of fans understand that if Coy and Vance hadn't filled in the series would have likely been cancelled.

I think that the problem most people have with Coy and Vance actually stems from WB requiring that they try to act as carbon copies of Bo and Luke. Had they been allowed to develop their own characters, I think that they would be more able to be considered as part of the Duke family.

LS3

LS3

I don't really know how much more different they were supposed to be. I mean, after all, they were there to technically replace TW and JS when they walked out. Should they have been brothers rather than cousins ?

I suppose people would've been a little more tolerant of them had they say, not driven The General Lee and had their own car to drive around.

Of course, the ratings would've surely dropped and the show might've been cancelled for sure then.

That just goes to show though that the real star was The General himself. No offense to Bo or Luke....

LS3

I don't really know how much more different they were supposed to be. I mean, after all, they were there to technically replace TW and JS when they walked out. Should they have been brothers rather than cousins ?

I suppose people would've been a little more tolerant of them had they say, not driven The General Lee and had their own car to drive around.

Of course, the ratings would've surely dropped and the show might've been cancelled for sure then.

That just goes to show though that the real star was The General himself. No offense to Bo or Luke....

But the ratings did drop when Coy and Vance replaced Bo and Luke, and the show never really recovered from that. The General was a big, important part of the show, but I'd argue that the real magic was Bo + Luke + the General and everything that deviated from that was just... inferior.

I agree with whomever mentioned that Coy and Vance would've had a warmer welcome had they been their own characters instead of carbon copies Bo and Luke. And although I find it jarring, I understand why the powers that be let them drive in the General.

But the ratings did drop when Coy and Vance replaced Bo and Luke, and the show never really recovered from that. The General was a big, important part of the show, but I'd argue that the real magic was Bo + Luke + the General and everything that deviated from that was just... inferior.

I agree with whomever mentioned that Coy and Vance would've had a warmer welcome had they been their own characters instead of carbon copies Bo and Luke. And although I find it jarring, I understand why the powers that be let them drive in the General.

Coy and Vance were written in the show as replacements to act just like Bo & Luke. I understand back then we were all into the General Lee and Bo & Luke and I think that was what was counted on. I can't fault Coy & Vance at all , they were written in to be that way.

Auster metioned ratings dropped. BUT the show carried on for another 2 years after. Coy & Vance held it up for their 1/2 to 3/4 of season. Still was top twenty show and that meant something, especially on a Friday night back then.

I actually didn't mind watching the Coy & Vance episodes back then and even today. Sure it was a bit different seeing others act like Bo & Luke, but they were all Dukes. I personally liked Coy a lot in the show. I think he would have made a great addition if they would have kept him around in a recurring role or occaional guest spot. I think he was getting better at fitting in then they were gone. I wished they would have come back for at least a one more episode later on. I think I may be in the minority of thinking that they were pretty good for what they had to do.

I'm gone

Darrell

Coy and Vance were written in the show as replacements to act just like Bo & Luke. I understand back then we were all into the General Lee and Bo & Luke and I think that was what was counted on. I can't fault Coy & Vance at all , they were written in to be that way.

Auster metioned ratings dropped. BUT the show carried on for another 2 years after. Coy & Vance held it up for their 1/2 to 3/4 of season. Still was top twenty show and that meant something, especially on a Friday night back then.

I actually didn't mind watching the Coy & Vance episodes back then and even today. Sure it was a bit different seeing others act like Bo & Luke, but they were all Dukes. I personally liked Coy a lot in the show. I think he would have made a great addition if they would have kept him around in a recurring role or occaional guest spot. I think he was getting better at fitting in then they were gone. I wished they would have come back for at least a one more episode later on. I think I may be in the minority of thinking that they were pretty good for what they had to do.

I'm gone

Darrell

Not to be too picky, but I wanted to point out that this may have looked like you were quoting me, however, this is not the post that I wrote...in case there is any confusion...I was the one that said that it would have been better if Coy and Vance hadn't had to act just like Bo and Luke. And I've never thought that the General Lee was the star of the show.

Thank you,

LS3

Not to be too picky, but I wanted to point out that this may have looked like you were quoting me, however, this is not the post that I wrote...in case there is any confusion...I was the one that said that it would have been better if Coy and Vance hadn't had to act just like Bo and Luke. And I've never thought that the General Lee was the star of the show.

Thank you,

LS3

Coy and Vance are fun to hate. They are the scapegoats (or scape-sheep) for our wrath over Bo and Luke's departure. We had to take it out on somebody....and what more deserving target, than these hollow substitutes who stagger around and try to remember how Bo and Luke acted?

And while I don't really blame the actors who had this unappreciated task, both lacked charisma. Here they get to be like Bo and Luke, and get paid for it....and somehow it didn't look like fun.

Now, if these guys had any sense of humor, there would have been more moments like this:

Scene 1: Rosco pursues the General Lee. Coy is driving the General and attempting to evade the law.

Coy: "Rosco is right on our tail and the General is almost out of gas and there's a road block up ahead! What are we gonna do, Vance?"

Vance: "Nothing."

Coy: (looking perplexed) "But...you're the smart one, seein' as how you're the Luke substitute! You've gotta have a plan!"

Vance: "Oh, I have a plan, but it's just for me. The way I see it, Coy...you're going to go to jail. Nope, ain't no way we're gettin' outta this one....so I'm gonna plea-bargain and testify against you."

Coy: (looking shocked) "WHAT!!"

Vance: "Well, somebody has to stay at the farm and help Uncle Jesse and Daisy. Since I'm smarter and stronger than you are, it only makes sense for you to go to jail, and me to stay home. You care about Jesse and Daisy, don't you Coy?"

Coy: ( looking confused) "Uh...yeah...but...."

Vance: "Don't worry, you'll be out before you know it. All you have to do is tell Rosco everything I tell you to say. Trust me, my plans always work."

Coy: (brightening, showing naive innocence) "Okay!"

Vance leans back in the seat and smiles smugly, knowing he his about to have the General Lee all to himself, and no younger cousin around to cramp his style.

Ah, now that woulda been a happy ending. BAHAHAHA!!

Brian

Coy and Vance are fun to hate. They are the scapegoats (or scape-sheep) for our wrath over Bo and Luke's departure. We had to take it out on somebody....and what more deserving target, than these hollow substitutes who stagger around and try to remember how Bo and Luke acted?

And while I don't really blame the actors who had this unappreciated task, both lacked charisma. Here they get to be like Bo and Luke, and get paid for it....and somehow it didn't look like fun.

Now, if these guys had any sense of humor, there would have been more moments like this:

Scene 1: Rosco pursues the General Lee. Coy is driving the General and attempting to evade the law.

Coy: "Rosco is right on our tail and the General is almost out of gas and there's a road block up ahead! What are we gonna do, Vance?"

Vance: "Nothing."

Coy: (looking perplexed) "But...you're the smart one, seein' as how you're the Luke substitute! You've gotta have a plan!"

Vance: "Oh, I have a plan, but it's just for me. The way I see it, Coy...you're going to go to jail. Nope, ain't no way we're gettin' outta this one....so I'm gonna plea-bargain and testify against you."

Coy: (looking shocked) "WHAT!!"

Vance: "Well, somebody has to stay at the farm and help Uncle Jesse and Daisy. Since I'm smarter and stronger than you are, it only makes sense for you to go to jail, and me to stay home. You care about Jesse and Daisy, don't you Coy?"

Coy: ( looking confused) "Uh...yeah...but...."

Vance: "Don't worry, you'll be out before you know it. All you have to do is tell Rosco everything I tell you to say. Trust me, my plans always work."

Coy: (brightening, showing naive innocence) "Okay!"

Vance leans back in the seat and smiles smugly, knowing he his about to have the General Lee all to himself, and no younger cousin around to cramp his style.

Ah, now that woulda been a happy ending. BAHAHAHA!!

Brian