New member, long time Dukes fan

Jim85IROC

Hi all.  I found this forum recently when so many of my google image searches kept bringing me here, usually to one of Hoss's great posts.  All of the image searches are because I'm in the planning and early building stages of creating a Dukes rc car chase for my Youtube channel (it's an RC car channel).

I just picked up a Kyosho Phazer with a 70 Charger body, so I have a little work to do to convert it to a 69 General.

52248256741_eba0bfdaa5_z.jpg

52248271283_84bbd44298_z.jpg

One way that I'm trying to separate my video(s) from those that are already out there is that I really want to make the rest of my props as correct as possible, within reason.  This starts with an accurate Sherrif's car.  There's virtually nothing out there in 1:10 scale for RC police cars at all, and certainly nothing that's period correct.  I started looking for 3d printable options, and although nobody has the 77 Monaco/Fury models that we're most familiar with, I did manage to find a 74 Monaco, which is one of the models used in season one.  This print is taking multiple days to print, and will take me even longer to sand, paint, and detail, but it should make for an awesome chase car!

52248271378_71e486b77f_z.jpg

52248544429_a6de2772be_z.jpg

52248756905_eea7385c53_z.jpg

In addition to the cars, I want to make a cardboard building or two, and of course, I need to come up with a ramp and something to jump over.  Going through this great site is really helping me to come up with some ideas, and hopefully soon I'll have a basic story board put together so I can start figuring out what props I'll need.  The cool thing about the props is that they're items that my kids can help me make, so it gets them involved in my hobby.

Anyway, if folks are interested, I'll post updates on my progress.

Welcome to HNet, Jim. One of us will have to moderate your next couple of posts, then you can post away with your project updates and anything else you want to comment on.

15 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

I started looking for 3d printable options, and although nobody has the 77 Monaco/Fury models that we're most familiar with, I did manage to find a 74 Monaco, which is one of the models used in season one.

If we're being pedantic, it was '75 Monaco that appeared in season 1, but I doubt that anyone will tell the difference at the scale you're building or the speed you'll be driving. ;)

1975Monaco0101.jpg

Today I started working on the Charger.  I painted the silver on to the Vector wheels that I printed, and I pulled the 70 grill off the body.  Once I print a 69 grill and cut the body back to accept it, I think it's going to start to look really good.

52250908655_4e5f131632_z.jpg

52250692144_f33e962a8d_z.jpg

The patrol car is still printing, but the front half is off the printer and I'm really happy with how it's looking.

52250418133_c9266bf25c_z.jpg

The rear of the car finished printing. Now I just need to print the rear valance, then headlight & taillight lenses and the rearview mirrors.
52254032605_88d37033fa_z.jpg

I sized this car to fit on the Fazer chassis, but neglected to take the width into account. The body is too narrow to contain the wheels, so I ended up ordering a 3Racing M4 chassis that's narrow enough to accommodate the body. I'll need to build a longer chassis. Aside from the wheel width, it looks pretty good!

52253555653_d4d3ed060d_z.jpg

Question for the moderators: since this isn't really an intro thread anymore, should I make a new thread in the appropriate forum, or should this thread be moved?

It's amazing what's possible with 3D printing these days - the Vector wheels look great. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

1 hour ago, Jim85IROC said:

Question for the moderators: since this isn't really an intro thread anymore, should I make a new thread in the appropriate forum, or should this thread be moved?

Most of the model builds get posted in the Hobbies forum. Maybe you should start a thread there and either duplicate these early stages or link back here. If you do create a new thread, make sure you post a link to it here so people can follow your progress.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:09 PM, RogerDuke said:

You're awesome Jim. It's going to be fun having you around. Thanks for sharing the pictures. 

I couldn't do anything like that, even after drinking a jug of my finest!! :) 

( I'm not really an  alcoholic, I just play like  I am, like Hobie Harkins the town drunk! :) )

Edited by Hobie Hartkins