Premiere magazine dukes movie article

"The General Lee in the movie is an exact copy of the General Lee from the TV show," says Cyril O'Neil...

...except for the white letter tires, the cheap CB antenna, modern aftermarket radio, the weird side mirrors, having a mirror on the passenger side, different font on "General Lee" text, ugly aftermarket steering wheel, and having modern Georgia plates (which makes sense, but still counts as "not an exact copy").

"The police cars from Hazzard County were the ones that were driven by Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane and those guys — those were all mid-80s Chevrolets. I think that that was done simply because…the Sheriffs' cars were equally as recognizable (as the General Lee). They wanted to capture the feel of Hazzard County, which, if you put them into them into modern day Crown Vics, people would say: 'That's not Sheriff Roscoe's car!'"

They'll still say that if you're using cars from the 80's to represent plymouth Furys from the '70s.

"As for the Confederate flag on the hood of the General Lee, O'Neil says "in the script… there was a scene that sort of made light of the whole thing. The Duke boys take their car and go to Atlanta…and when they go into the big city they are ridiculed for being rednecks… They actually end up in jail because of an incident where they're in sort of a rough part of town with the Confederate flag on the roof of their car and they nearly get their asses kicked."

So...the message is that city people are ignorant? I guess I have no problem with that. Except I hope that they digitally replace that flag onto the TOP of the car instead of the hood.

"The General Lee in the movie is an exact copy of the General Lee from the TV show," says Cyril O'Neil...

...except for the white letter tires, the cheap CB antenna, modern aftermarket radio, the weird side mirrors, having a mirror on the passenger side, different font on "General Lee" text, ugly aftermarket steering wheel, and having modern Georgia plates (which makes sense, but still counts as "not an exact copy").

"The police cars from Hazzard County were the ones that were driven by Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane and those guys — those were all mid-80s Chevrolets. I think that that was done simply because…the Sheriffs' cars were equally as recognizable (as the General Lee). They wanted to capture the feel of Hazzard County, which, if you put them into them into modern day Crown Vics, people would say: 'That's not Sheriff Roscoe's car!'"

They'll still say that if you're using cars from the 80's to represent plymouth Furys from the '70s.

"As for the Confederate flag on the hood of the General Lee, O'Neil says "in the script… there was a scene that sort of made light of the whole thing. The Duke boys take their car and go to Atlanta…and when they go into the big city they are ridiculed for being rednecks… They actually end up in jail because of an incident where they're in sort of a rough part of town with the Confederate flag on the roof of their car and they nearly get their asses kicked."

So...the message is that city people are ignorant? I guess I have no problem with that. Except I hope that they digitally replace that flag onto the TOP of the car instead of the hood.