Edmunds.com article on the car and movie

Here is another article from Aw, Shucks that I got a link from...

This is total corporate BS political correctness..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106116

Chrysler Shuns Marketing Deal With Dukes of Hazzard Movie

Date Posted 06-17-2005

CHELSEA, Mich. — The Chrysler Group will not tie in any marketing of its 2006 Dodge Charger with the upcoming movie, The Dukes of Hazzard, because it is afraid the display of the Confederate flag on the movie's vintage Charger will offend some viewers.

The movie, scheduled to open August 5, is based on the TV series that ran from 1979 to 1985 and featured "good old boy" cousins eluding authorities in The General Lee, a 1969 orange Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on the roof. The movie stars Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson.

"They gave us the treatment for the movie and talked about a marketing deal, but we said we can't participate if you keep the Confederate flag," Jason Vines, Chrysler Group vice president of communications, told Inside Line. "It's offensive to a lot of people. But they [Warner Bros.] said 'no.' We still get a mention of the Charger in the movie, but we couldn't do anything beyond that."

The Confederate battle flag, also called the Southern Cross, has been at the center of controversy for years. It has been described as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation. The Southern Poverty Law Center says more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.

What this means to you: The General Lee rides again, but Chrysler doesn't want anything to do with it.

Chrysler needs to remember what side their bread is buttered on...

If it weren't for The Dukes of Hazzard, the Charger would just be another muscle car in a LOOOONG line of muscle cars...

True, it would still be a cool car, but it would've never achieved legendary status like it has today. One could possibly say cult status.

If they don't wanna embrace that fact, I say screw 'em. :evil:

The new "charger" sucks anyway. :p

The new "charger" sucks anyway. :p

Having it in the movie with the real Charger would have only demonstrated that even further. I mean, they must have designed that car under the supposition that no one alive remembers what the Dodge Charger looked like. The movie will probably get people to go to Dodge dealerships, and the new Magnum Sedan (they call it a Charger, lol) will make them leave the dealerships and see what's on the Ford lots. Ultimately, the movie will raise "muscle car awareness," and since Ford is the only one with sense enough to build one, the movie will be a huge Ford Mustang advertisement.

Heck, before now, I think most people thought the Charger looked like the Shelby version from the 80's. (Remember the hatchback?)

That really killed the model anyway. I think this new 2006 version just put the final nail in the perverbial coffin.

You'd think they would've took Ford's example of the T-bird and Mustang and designed a more "throwback" Charger design.

There's always 2007... :)

I think that had there never been a Dukes of Hazzard and never had been a General Lee, we would not be seeing the Dodge Charger being brought back in 2005. If it werent for the General Lee, I'm not sure I would even know what a Dodge Charger looked like.

Yeah, but with the new Magnum Sedan that Chrysler is calling a "Charger," a lot of people STILL don't know what a Charger looks like.

I think that had there never been a Dukes of Hazzard and never had been a General Lee, we would not be seeing the Dodge Charger being brought back in 2005. If it werent for the General Lee, I'm not sure I would even know what a Dodge Charger looked like.

Yeah, but with the new Magnum Sedan that Chrysler is calling a "Charger," a lot of people STILL don't know what a Charger looks like.

I do have to say kudos to Warner Brothers for sticking to their guns and keeping the flag on the car and not bowing to any pressure, be it corporate or otherwise.

And yes, the new Charger sucks anyway. And the new GTO sucks for that matter. Cripes, is Ford the only car maker that's getting it right?!?!

I do have to say kudos to Warner Brothers for sticking to their guns and keeping the flag on the car and not bowing to any pressure, be it corporate or otherwise.

And yes, the new Charger sucks anyway. And the new GTO sucks for that matter. Cripes, is Ford the only car maker that's getting it right?!?!

The reason the Charger is back is because the muscle cars are coming back. First with the Pontiac GTO (which looks like a Grand AM), then Mustang (the only car to keep a muscle car look), and finally the Charger (don't get me started!)

It was announced last week that Dodge is also bringing back the Challenger. Not the car I thought they should have brought back, but it means a resurgence of American Muscle! Now Chevy has to step up to the table. They put the Camaro to bed a couple of years ago which means a different muscle car from their 1960/1970's line. I would love to see a new Chevelle or Nova.

The reason the Charger is back is because the muscle cars are coming back. First with the Pontiac GTO (which looks like a Grand AM), then Mustang (the only car to keep a muscle car look), and finally the Charger (don't get me started!)

It was announced last week that Dodge is also bringing back the Challenger. Not the car I thought they should have brought back, but it means a resurgence of American Muscle! Now Chevy has to step up to the table. They put the Camaro to bed a couple of years ago which means a different muscle car from their 1960/1970's line. I would love to see a new Chevelle or Nova.

*copy & Paste*

Ya know guys the film makers here KNOW whats going on here.

they KNOW of these mistakes.

but i think it all comes down to being politically correct or some bull like that. to boot the confederate flag; thats a Very touchy subject but if you take away the flag from the roof you may as well colour the general blue! theres certian lines that really really shouldnt be crossed, and this is one of them. yes, i will buy the model kit of the jeep. and the general as well If they have a newer one out to add to my general lee collection. However when i do buy these model kits i will correct them with Proper decals (home made of course).

the dukes were hot hot hot back in "the day". and people of "colour" (so to speak with NO offence) Understood the reasoning behind the confederate symboling on the cars. its a marking of ones heritage. but dont forget - slavery was everywhere in north america back then! and yes, we do regret the things out great great great great grandpa's pulled off. as a Canadian myself i do know a fair amout of our heritage. and its not that different from the united states. and i do Know what happened 100 years ago. but also 100 plus years ago OUR countries were founded, medicines were discovered, etc. so please place Slavery aside for a second here. Tons of fantastic great discoveries and achivements happened back then that changed the world, forever. if it werent for these events & happenings i probably wouldnt be in front of this computer right now because it wouldnt exist. yes racism does still exist but just to those (small amount in north america) who dont understand other people and have poor social skills (i could insult further, really -i could! ).

Anyways...

If your from the southern states place that confederate licence plate on, show the love for your country and its heritage. the confederate flag doesnt represent Slavery & Racism. it stands for a Country that once stood built by many many wise people that founded the very ground your standing on. and if people are offended by the confederate flag there IGNORANT! Very Ignorant. the south wasnt about hating people of colour and origin. it was about freedom & opportunity as todays red maple leaf and 50 stars & a few stripes (just 2 examples). So if you hate the confederate flag - why not burn the stars & stripes? burn the red maple leaf while your at it. go for it. if you hate the confederate flag so much your Obvoiusly living in the Wrong country! move to Sweden, Scotland, Japan, Where ever! the confederate flag is one of Many symbols that marks the foundation of a great chunk of land we like to call Home.

anyways guys my little rant is done here. Now if any of you disagree on my statement above i can Completely understand. but it was based on fact, not so much opinion.

im gone.

-Brad

*copy & Paste*

Ya know guys the film makers here KNOW whats going on here.

they KNOW of these mistakes.

but i think it all comes down to being politically correct or some bull like that. to boot the confederate flag; thats a Very touchy subject but if you take away the flag from the roof you may as well colour the general blue! theres certian lines that really really shouldnt be crossed, and this is one of them. yes, i will buy the model kit of the jeep. and the general as well If they have a newer one out to add to my general lee collection. However when i do buy these model kits i will correct them with Proper decals (home made of course).

the dukes were hot hot hot back in "the day". and people of "colour" (so to speak with NO offence) Understood the reasoning behind the confederate symboling on the cars. its a marking of ones heritage. but dont forget - slavery was everywhere in north america back then! and yes, we do regret the things out great great great great grandpa's pulled off. as a Canadian myself i do know a fair amout of our heritage. and its not that different from the united states. and i do Know what happened 100 years ago. but also 100 plus years ago OUR countries were founded, medicines were discovered, etc. so please place Slavery aside for a second here. Tons of fantastic great discoveries and achivements happened back then that changed the world, forever. if it werent for these events & happenings i probably wouldnt be in front of this computer right now because it wouldnt exist. yes racism does still exist but just to those (small amount in north america) who dont understand other people and have poor social skills (i could insult further, really -i could! ).

Anyways...

If your from the southern states place that confederate licence plate on, show the love for your country and its heritage. the confederate flag doesnt represent Slavery & Racism. it stands for a Country that once stood built by many many wise people that founded the very ground your standing on. and if people are offended by the confederate flag there IGNORANT! Very Ignorant. the south wasnt about hating people of colour and origin. it was about freedom & opportunity as todays red maple leaf and 50 stars & a few stripes (just 2 examples). So if you hate the confederate flag - why not burn the stars & stripes? burn the red maple leaf while your at it. go for it. if you hate the confederate flag so much your Obvoiusly living in the Wrong country! move to Sweden, Scotland, Japan, Where ever! the confederate flag is one of Many symbols that marks the foundation of a great chunk of land we like to call Home.

anyways guys my little rant is done here. Now if any of you disagree on my statement above i can Completely understand. but it was based on fact, not so much opinion.

im gone.

-Brad

• 3 weeks later...

you guys make me laugh!!!

Trust me, the Charger is not coming back because of the dukes of hazzard. Chrysler has been trying to get back in the muscle market for the past 10 years with concepts and R&D...

BTW the movie that made the Charger legendary was Bullit in 1968... Best car chase of all time.

I can't wait for the Challenger to come back!!!

PS- if you haven't driven the new charger, don't dog it yet! Go for a test drive.

you guys make me laugh!!!

Trust me, the Charger is not coming back because of the dukes of hazzard. Chrysler has been trying to get back in the muscle market for the past 10 years with concepts and R&D...

BTW the movie that made the Charger legendary was Bullit in 1968... Best car chase of all time.

I can't wait for the Challenger to come back!!!

PS- if you haven't driven the new charger, don't dog it yet! Go for a test drive.

They are bringing back muscle car names, but they are not bringing back muscle cars. I expect the "Challenger" to be a two-door version of the Magnum.

I don't care if the new Charger travels through time, cooks me breakfast, and bears my children, it's another boring looking sedan that has no style in it. The muscle car era was one of artistry, those cars have a majestic presence. I have to look twice at the new "Charger" to see whether or not it's a Chrysler 300. It's not a bad car, but it's no muscle car, and it's no Charger.

They are bringing back muscle car names, but they are not bringing back muscle cars. I expect the "Challenger" to be a two-door version of the Magnum.

I don't care if the new Charger travels through time, cooks me breakfast, and bears my children, it's another boring looking sedan that has no style in it. The muscle car era was one of artistry, those cars have a majestic presence. I have to look twice at the new "Charger" to see whether or not it's a Chrysler 300. It's not a bad car, but it's no muscle car, and it's no Charger.

I wish people would realize that the whole Confederate flag controversy centers around it's display on government land like is South Carolina. None of these minority groups say anything about people who display at their homes or buisnesses. Not to mention they haven't said a word about the movie either way. I think Dodge is missing a huge opportunity to sell cars. Oh well it's not like they're really an American company anymore anyways. I'm sure whoever made the decision works for Dialmler and lives in Germany.

I wish people would realize that the whole Confederate flag controversy centers around it's display on government land like is South Carolina. None of these minority groups say anything about people who display at their homes or buisnesses. Not to mention they haven't said a word about the movie either way. I think Dodge is missing a huge opportunity to sell cars. Oh well it's not like they're really an American company anymore anyways. I'm sure whoever made the decision works for Dialmler and lives in Germany.