"Country Music comes a callin'"

OOC: This is the first DOH fanfic I have ever writeen, so be nice please!!!!!

The drive back to Hazzard was a long one, mostly on backroads and dirt paths that could hardly be called suitable for cars. However, as Zoe Duke rounded the last curve, she had to admit she was getting her second wind. She couldn’t wait to see her cousins Daisy, Bo and Luke and Uncle Jesse. It’d been at least six years since she’d last seen them. She wished it hadn’t been so long but life had taken over with a vengence.

Her story, like so many others, had started in Hazzard but then it changed. When she was five, her mother had moved herself and Zoe to San Francisco, California after her father’s fatal accident. Zoe hadn’t wanted to move, all her friends were in Hazzard, but she did as her mother said. Later, when the pain had lessened and life had gone on, her mother had reestablished contact with the family in Hazzard and Zoe had visited often, coming to be very close to her kin. She’d told then about her desire to become a singer and had often performed at the “Boar’s Nest†on her visits there. Finally, on a visit, there happened to be a record producer passing through who heard her singing, liked her unique style and signed her on the spot.

Her career as a singer took her to many exotic places, keeping her from spending the time she wanted to with her family. Sure, letters ahd been exchanged but it wasn’t the same as being able to hug and talk to them personally. To her, family was so important and the Dukes were all the family she had left in the world. They were her connection to sanity in her surreal performing world.

The end of her current tour provided Zoe with the time she had been waiting for. She decided to take some time off and surprise them with a visit. Her heart hit the floor as she realized that the last time she had visited had been six years previously, before all the trouble began. She hadn’t told them about the trouble because she didn’t want them to worry. Besides, she knew her cousins all too well. They would hop in the General Lee and be out in a hot second to try and help her. Anyway, she’d taken care of it, or so she thought.

When she’d first begun to record her music, she’d hired a manager everyone said was well reccomended and trustworthy, and drawm up a contract. Everything had gone well and her song “Come With Me†had debuted at number 3 on the Country charts. She thought her dreams were about to come true. That was where she’d been wrong. Almost deadly wrong as it turned out.

One night, after a concert, Zoe had returned to her dressing room, intending to go over the show with her manager as she usually did and then shower and turn in, and had caught her manager meeting with some men she didn’t know, exchanging drugs and even ordering a hit on someone. Sure she was going to be caught and done away with, she’d ducked out of sight, but not quickly enough, they had seen her and would have killed her had a bunch of groupies not gotten past Security and burst into her dressing room, distracting then and saving her life.

While they had been dealing with the groupies, trying to get past them and capture her, Zoe had called the police and to make a long story short, saved herself. During the investigation, she’d worked with the police and her manager went to jail for dealing drugs and attempted murder on no less than 10 counts. It turned out that he’d been doing this for at least 10 years, using the music industry as an open door. She’d quickly gotten a new manager, one that she’d carefully checked out, she wasn’t naieve any longer, and embarked on a come back tour, to acclaim and loyal fans.

But, back in the present, Zoe pulled to the side of the road, took a long pull from her bottle of water to wash the taste of road dust from her mouth and checked her appearance. She’d been driving for a week to get across the country. She could’ve flown, but she’d chosen to drive in order to relax and take her time. She wanted to try and set her internal clock to the more relaxed pace of Hazzard.

Zoe was just about to start her engine again to head off to the farm when she heard a familiar sound behind her. Sort of like the buzzing of a swarm of bees as they come closer and closer to you. A smile crept over her face; that could only mean one thing; the General Lee was speeding down the road toward her. That also meant that one or both of her male cousins would be in him.

Her heart started beating faster as she listened to the finely tuned engine approach. It made the engine in her truck sound like an elderly mule. ‘Who knows,’ she thought, ‘maybe Bo or Luke or both would help me out and shave a few years off of it.’ It was desperately in need of a tune-up. Normally, Zoe liked to mess with the engine as a way to relax but with all that had been happening she’d been neglecting her truck’s upkeep. Zoe decided that she would wait and see if the infamous Roscoe P. Coltrane was chasing them before she took off and followed.

Giving in to temptation, Zoe slid out her window and sat on the door with her hands folded on the roof like she had done so many times in the General. The swarm got closer and closer, turning the corner at breakneck speed. The plumes of dust that spit out from the back wheels as they spun rose four feet in the air.

Grinning like a fool, Zoe watched as the general spun down the road a bit, sans Roscoe, fishtailed to a stop and did a 360 degree turn to end up pointing at her. They’d seen her, that much was obvious. Zoe slid the rest of the way out of the truck and dropped to the ground with the practiced grave of a country girl. Even being in the spotlight, on tour for several years and away from the country couldn’t take something out of you that you were born with.

She leaned against the hood of her truck as the General sped back to her. After a screeching stop, Bo and Luke Duke slid out of the car and ran over to her. Bo reached her first and grabbed her in a hug that lifted her feet off the ground as he twirled her around, laughing.

“Zoe Kathleen Duke is that you?†Luke asked as he took over hugging her when Bo let go.

“Last time I looked it was.†She said kissing both men on the cheek. “Not running from Roscoe for once you two?†she asked slyly.

“Shoot, forget Roscoe girl, what brings you to town without even calling us?†Bo asked, leaning against her truck as he talked.

Zoe laughed, “Actually, I was hoping to surprise y’all.†She said, slipping back into the southern accent that she hadn’t really tried to lose.

“Surprise us? Well you definitely did that Zoe. I nearly twirled the steering wheel off the shaft, turning the General around!†Bo said, slipping his hands into his back pockets.

“I was wondering if you two would notice me. It has been six years, I’m sorry to say. I wouldn’t have been surprised if y’all blew right past me.†Zoe looked sheepishly at her boots and shuffled the toes in the dust.

“Six years or sixty, we don’t forget kin.†Luke said, raising Zoe’s chin so that she looked him in the eye. “Don’t you worry about that. Besides,†he said brightly, “we’ve been following your career since you started. Daisy has all your CD’s, but I have to admit I’ve borrowed them more often than you think!†he chucked her under the chin and hugged her. “It’s so good to see you girl!†he said.

Suddenly, the CB in the General began squawking, “Bo Peep to Lost Sheep, Lost Sheep, you got your ears on? Come on.†Bo started for the driver’s side, intending to respond, but Zoe headed him off and put a hand on his arm. “Let me Bo.†She said with a grin. She grabbed the radio and clicked the button that would broadcast her voice over the air.

“Miss Muffett to Bo Peep. What’s up?†she asked nonchalantly. Dead silence greeted her, but it didn’t last long. A high pitched whoop sound over the receiver, “Wooohooo! Zoe, it’s been ages, where are you?†Daisy asked excitedly.

“Actually, I’m in Hazzard. I was trying to sneak in to surprise you all at the farm but I met Bo and Luke during one of my impromptu rest stops. It’s been a long time since I have actually driven by myself anywhere, usually it’s a bus, several trucks and me! The Hazzard Hotel was booked, y’all got room for me at the farm?†she smiled as she waited.

“Don’t you even think of staying at the Hazzard Hotel Ms. Duke. You will be staying at the farm with your family! Now, get over here so that we can see you! I’m gone.†And with that, Daisy had signed off. It seemed that whatever Daisy had wanted to talk to Bo and Luke about had been forgotten when Zoe had answered her call.

• 4 weeks later...

Zoe leaned back into the General to replace the CB receiver. When she slid back out, an idea was forming in her mind.

“You know, it may have been a while since I last drove these roads but I think I can still handle myself, you guys wanna give it a shot?†She asked with a sly smile, planting her hands on her hips.

Luke looked at Bo and shook his head.

“Cousin, I think the lady has just challenged us and the General to a race. Does she really think she can beat us?†he said in mock shock.

Zoe tried hard not to break down into giggles as she stood waiting to see if the boys took her up on her offer. She knew that they would, that was a definite.

“I think she did cousin. I, for one, say that we take her up on it. Let’s see what toll her life of leisure has taken on her driving abilities!†They headed for the General and slid inside. Zoe headed for her truck and jumped inside the cab. Luke took a moment to stick his head out the passenger side of the General.

“See you at the farm Zoe!†He yelled as Bo and Zoe started the engines.

In a cloud of dust, both vehicles peeled out from the side of the road. Zoe handled her truck like a pro, the benefit of having spent many summers learning the finer aspects of back country racing from her cousins.

There were several times that the General and Zoe were neck in neck as they rounded the curves and raced down the straight paths of Hazzard County. Suddenly, the General took a shortcut that Zoe didn’t remember and appeared in front of Zoe. She knew that she had just lost the race, but she wasn’t at all mad about it. She was only a split second behind the General and that was a respectable loss in her opinion.

She turned off her engine as the dust was settling and jumped out of the cab. The doors to the farmhouse opened as they were unloading Zoe’s luggage.

“Y’all have to show me that shortcut. I may need it later.†She said cryptically but with a huge smile.

Everyone was still laughing when Daisy raced out of the house with Uncle Jesse right behind her. The two Dukes headed directly over to Zoe. She hugged Daisy and Uncle Jesse as if she hadn’t seen them in forever, and in actuality, she hadn’t. When she looked at the older man and laid a kiss on his cheek, his eyes were moist.

“Girl, you are a sight for sore eyes!†He hugged her again. “I can’t believe that you have finally come home where you belong. You have a wonderful career and are wonderfully talented but sometimes a person needs to be home with her family doesn’t she?†he asked with a knowing gaze. How did he always know what was behind her actions? She knew that she was going to have to spill what happened to her before long. But, until then, she was going to enjoy her reunion.

Zoe leaned back into the General to replace the CB receiver. When she slid back out, an idea was forming in her mind.

“You know, it may have been a while since I last drove these roads but I think I can still handle myself, you guys wanna give it a shot?†She asked with a sly smile, planting her hands on her hips.

Luke looked at Bo and shook his head.

“Cousin, I think the lady has just challenged us and the General to a race. Does she really think she can beat us?†he said in mock shock.

Zoe tried hard not to break down into giggles as she stood waiting to see if the boys took her up on her offer. She knew that they would, that was a definite.

“I think she did cousin. I, for one, say that we take her up on it. Let’s see what toll her life of leisure has taken on her driving abilities!†They headed for the General and slid inside. Zoe headed for her truck and jumped inside the cab. Luke took a moment to stick his head out the passenger side of the General.

“See you at the farm Zoe!†He yelled as Bo and Zoe started the engines.

In a cloud of dust, both vehicles peeled out from the side of the road. Zoe handled her truck like a pro, the benefit of having spent many summers learning the finer aspects of back country racing from her cousins.

There were several times that the General and Zoe were neck in neck as they rounded the curves and raced down the straight paths of Hazzard County. Suddenly, the General took a shortcut that Zoe didn’t remember and appeared in front of Zoe. She knew that she had just lost the race, but she wasn’t at all mad about it. She was only a split second behind the General and that was a respectable loss in her opinion.

She turned off her engine as the dust was settling and jumped out of the cab. The doors to the farmhouse opened as they were unloading Zoe’s luggage.

“Y’all have to show me that shortcut. I may need it later.†She said cryptically but with a huge smile.

Everyone was still laughing when Daisy raced out of the house with Uncle Jesse right behind her. The two Dukes headed directly over to Zoe. She hugged Daisy and Uncle Jesse as if she hadn’t seen them in forever, and in actuality, she hadn’t. When she looked at the older man and laid a kiss on his cheek, his eyes were moist.

“Girl, you are a sight for sore eyes!†He hugged her again. “I can’t believe that you have finally come home where you belong. You have a wonderful career and are wonderfully talented but sometimes a person needs to be home with her family doesn’t she?†he asked with a knowing gaze. How did he always know what was behind her actions? She knew that she was going to have to spill what happened to her before long. But, until then, she was going to enjoy her reunion.

• 2 months later...

Taking a deep breath, Zoe decided that she’d better let them all in on what had happened to her before someone recognized her and said something. She wasn’t sure that was something she could take, them hearing about her from someone else. Her mother has always taught her that honesty was always best.

Uncle Jesse caught her eye and nodded, “Girl, you’d best be out with what’s bothering you before your brows fix like that permanently.†He stared at her and Zoe realized that the whole kitchen had gone silent and were taring at her.

“Zoe, what’s the matter honey?†Daisy asked with a worried look.

“Alright everyone, there’s something you should know. I haven’t told you this because I didn’t want you to worry, or you two,†she looked at Bo and Luke, “to come out and feel that you had to rescue me.†She smiled. “I was finishing up my tour and I happened upon my manager making mob deals in my dressing room. He thought I was still on stage and didn’t hear me come in. I realized that I needed to keep my mouth shut and stay hidden, that if they found me, I’d be in trouble. So, I stayed in the shadows and tried not to breathe. It was only when one of his compatriots tried to leave that I realized I wasn’t hidden well enough. He noticed the light glinting off the sequins on my jacket and hauled me out of hiding.

He laughed and shoved me into the middle of the room. “Well, lookie here a little fly on the wall. You know what we do to flies, don’t you girlie?†He pulled out his gun and shoved it into my temple. All the time, my manager simply stood there and stared at me, his face expressionless. At that moment, I knew I was dead. I said goodbye to you all. I apologized for everything I did and asked God to help me if he saw fit.†She looked around the room at her family. They looked back at her not with anger she expected but with shock, fear and yes, love. Strengthened, she continued.

“I was sure all was lost and the next thing I was going to feel was the bite of a bullet in my temple. However, I got lucky. I heard the hammer click on the gun and then all hell broke loose. A group of my fans got past Security and had found my dressing room. They rushed in, Security on their heels, causing my manager and his cohort to release me. I asked them all to it down, played the good hostess, got them drinks, signed autographs and sent my assistant off to call the police. I kept everyone in my dressing room until the cops arrived and arrested them!

What followed was a media circus! I went through weeks of trial, indentifying the key players and retracing my actions that night countless times. I had to hire more Security and staff to deal with the mail, both good and bad. Finally, my manager and his group were found guilty of all the charges and put in jail. I managed to finish my interrupted tour, to packed houses. A comeback of sorts, I guess you could say.

It was then that I decided to come home. I realized during the whole trial and subsequent tours that family means everything to me and I missed mine. Y’all weren’t aware that I was in court, were you? I wish I’d let y’all in on what was happening earlier, but foolish pride kept me from calling. I felt somehow that this was my fault, for not screening my manager well enough, for missing that he was slicker than a snail on a slide. It took a while until I could face that it wasn’t my fault. Now, I know it isn’t the truth and I wanted to see y’all, I needed to see you, for my sanity. I was afraid that you wouldn’t remember me since it had been six years since I’d been home. Y’all showed me different when I got here.†She stopped talking and waited to see what the reaction was going to be.

Several seconds of silence passed before anyone spoke. She would have expected Daisy to be the first one to speak, but it was Luke who stood and came up behind her chair, wrapping his arms around her from behind. He rested his chin on her shoulder and said,

“Dang it Zoe, we’re sorry that happened to you and I still say that you should have called us so that we could have been there to support you during the trial. But, I know we all agree, what’s done in done and since we can’t go back in time and change anything, it’s best to accept it and move on. What’s important is that you are safe, secure and best of all here with us.†He dropped a kiss on her cheek and smiled at her. “But I have to admit, much as I am chagrined, Bo and I would have been in the General and out to protect faster than Boss goes through a plate of ribs!â€

This set the whole family laughing. Zoe reached back to hug Luke, turning to drop a kiss on his cheek. “Much obliged Cousin!â€

Daisy lightened the moment by grabbing Zoe’s hand with a huge smile. “I know exactly what you could do on your vacation here! That is, if you want to.†She finished as if realizing that Zoe might not want to go along with her idea.

“What?†Zoe asked, knowing where her cousin was most likely heading. She knew she would do it, there wasn’t much she wouldn’t do for her family.

“Well, I was thinking that maybe you might give a concert at the Boor’s Nest. It’s been so hot and dry and spirits in town are so low that having Zoe Duke appear might help to raise them. What do you think?â€

Zoe pretended to think for a minute. “Well, that depends if you think you can stand hearing me rehearse the same stuff over and over?â€

“Then it’s settled, we’ll advertise the concert for this Friday! Everyone is going to love it. Thanks Zoe!†She hugged Zoe and started to clear away the dinner dishes.

That evening, Zoe spent her time deciding what she would perform at the concert. She’d called her band and asked them to come to her hometown and give a concert. They’d agreed and even volunteered to play at the bar Saturday night free of charge. Happier than she had been in a long time, she fell asleep amid sheet music and show runs

• 2 months later...

The next morning Zoe woke up in the same position she’d fallen asleep in. The music and her tentative runs were still scattered all around her. She hadn’t moved all night, a testament to just how tired she was. However, she still had no idea just how to start her show. Sure, she would sing all her biggest hits but she wanted to do something special for her cousins and Uncle. Something that would mean something special to them, send them a message. She needed to let them know how happy she was to be home, something deep inside her was telling her that. If she had learned anything over the years that she had been on her own, it was to trust what her gut was telling her.

She slowly stood, stretched and picked up the music on the bed. She piled it up carefully and put it on the desk, deciding that she would think about it after her shower and first cup of coffee.

With that, Zoe headed into the shower and tried to wash all the travel dust off her. After ten minutes, she emerged fresh, clean and thinking a whole lot better. Now there was only one more thing to take care of, coffee! She followed her nose and grumbling stomach to the kitchen, grabbed a mug off the counter, filling it with hot coffee before she say down at the table.

“Good Morning everyone!†she said smiling at her family. She was greeted with smiles and “Good Mornings!†in return.

“So, Daisy, tell me have you arranged everything for my concert?†she asked, knowing that it was short notice and Daisy probably hadn’t yet even called the Boar’s Nest to set things up, but with her family, one couldn’t always tell.

“You bet Honey! I was so excited to be able to say that my cousin, Zoe Duke was going to perform a concert this Friday that I called and set the whole thing up last night!

You fell asleep so early I couldn’t ask you if you minded. Why do you ask?†she asked with a small frown.

“Nothing special Daisy, I just need to call my band and get them down here so that we can practice, go over the run of show, etc. I want this to be the best show I can possibly give to Hazzard County! After I get this caffeine in my system, I’ll get on the horn and get them down here.†She turned to Uncle Jesse, “Do you think that we could have the barn to rehearse in tomorrow night? I don’t want to use the Boar’s Nest and spoil all the suprises!â€

Uncle Jesse nodded, “Of course you can Zoe. We’ll help out anyway we can to make sure this goes smoothly.†Bo, Luke and Daisy all nodded filling Zoe with the feeling that she had done the right thing, returning home.

Filled with a scrumptious breakfast, Zoe headed out to her truck to grab everything she needed. She hauled her luggage into the spare bedroom and dumped it into a corner, fishing through her carry-on for what she was looking for, her address book. In it were all the numbers she would need for arranging the concert.

It didn’t take long for her to contact all her band and ask if they would come to Hazzard for the concert, they were all happy to come, and make all the necessary arrangements. As she hung up the phone for the last time, she grabbed her notepad and headed into the front yard where the rest of her family were working. Bo and Luke were tuning up the general, Daisy hanging the wash out on the line and Uncle Jesse was skinning rattlesnakes for his prize winning chili. She stood on the porch for a moment and smiled as she thought about living here, care free and happy, then started down the stairs to the General.

“Ok, so where should I start, fan belt or radiator? It looks like this old relic could use the touch of a real mechanic.†She cracked, grabbing the rag that hung over the edge of the car’s body.

Daisy and Uncle Jesse stopped what they were doing and simply looked up to see that the two men would say to her. They knew that she was teasing but it was still interesting.

Luke simply looked at Zoe and cocked an eyebrow, but Bo stood up and walked over to her, a smile on his face.

“I suppose that you would be that mechanic huh? What do you say that we take a look at the wreck you call a truck and see what you have done to it since you’ve been gone?†He handed her a wrench and grabbed the rag, touching her nose with his greasy finger, leaving a black smudge on it. “Hmmmm, an improvement!†He said as he headed off toward her truck before she could get him.

“Hey grease monkey! Lot of help that will do, I don’t wanna look like you all the time! I’ll never find someone if I look like you!†she laughed and ran up behind him, tackling him and holding on. They tumbled to the ground laughing and kicking up dust. Everyone was laughing with them, but that laughter stopped suddenly when the truck they had been kidding about exploded into a huge ball of flames and debris.

• 5 months later...

In an instant, everything changed from play and fun to life and death. Zoe hit the ground hard partially from the force of the explosion and partially from Bo being blown back into her.

She lay there, Bo’s body pushing her to the ground, covering her, the heat of the fire pushing against them like a wall. Trying to catch her breath, a brick settled in her stomach. Just how had he found her? He was in prison, not out after her. They would have notified her if he was due to be released for any reason, they had promised. Now her family was in danger and she wouldn’t let them be hurt, that she vowed.

Suddenly, her world started moving again. She could hear shouts, scuffling and the crackling of her truck burning to bits. Luke reached them first, pulling Bo up and off her, checking to see if he was alright.

“You ok Bo?†he asked, yelling over the noise, scanning his cousin for any signs of major injuries.

“I’m fine Luke. Dang it, what the hell happened?†He looked dazed, something Zoe could relate to. She pulled herself up off the ground and simply stood there blinking at the burning hunk of metal that had once been her truck.

A moment later, Daisy, Uncle Jesse, Bo and Luke rushed to Zoe and barraged her with questions, hugging her and pulling her back toward the house, away from the fire. Zoe could feel their hands and hear their questions but she didn’t respond.

Luke ran and got the hose, putting out what was left of her truck. She let Uncle Jesse, Bo and Daisy steer her into the house, where she sat heavily on the couch, staring straight ahead, her hands shaking, until Bo knelt in front of her.

“Zoe, darlin’ are you alright?†he asked taking her hands and pushing her hair back from her face.

Now, Zoe did answer, the concern in his blue eyes snapping her out of her shock and back to reality.

“Yes, I’m alright. Aren’t you?†she asked him, her eyes refocusing and noticing what and who was around her.

“I’m fine sweetheart. It’s you we’re worried about right now.â€

“That’s right honey.†Daisy said, sitting next to Zoe and wrapping her arms around her and squeezing.

“Why would anyone want to blow up your truck or even you? She asked.

Zoe looked over at her. “I don’t get it. They told me that I’d be notified. They promised me.†She said.

“Honey, what are you talking about?†Uncle Jesse prodded gently. “You’ve got to tell us so we can help you.â€

Zoe took a deep breath. “My manager. He promised to kill me if he ever got free. All I can think is that he either got free or hired a hit on me. Either way, I can’t have you all in danger. Uncle Jesse, can I borrow the truck? I’ll call my band, tell them not to come. I’ll go into hiding and then he’ll only go after me, not you. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll get my things. I’m so sorry.â€

Zoe made to stand up and move to the guest bedroom when Uncle Jesse grabbed her arm.

“Now hold on one hot second young lady.†His tone booked no argument so she stopped. “You’ll do no such thing. You did nothing to bring trouble to us. You thought you were free and you came here to relax. If this scum is trying to hurt you, that makes it our problem too. Honey, stop being so darn independent and open up and let us in. We love you and want to help. Let us.â€

Zoe stared at him for a moment before nodding and sitting back down on the sofa. A tear slid out of her eye before she could stop it. She wiped it away angrily, but it unleashed a flood of tears, fueled by anger, frustration and fear.

For a moment, she hid her face in her hands and let the sobs come. She felt Uncle Jesse wrap his arms around her tight. The scent of hay and farm on his clothes relaxed her. She wasn’t alone. The sobs eased and she looked at her family.

“I’m sorry, I guess it all caught up with me. I thought I was free of him, I don’t know how he found me, but when I get my hands on him….†She trailed off, her anger replacing her tears and flickering in her eyes.

Bo laughed, “I know this isn’t the time for laughs but there’s the Zoe I know and love!†He handed her a tissue and smiled.

Zoe returned the smile. “He’s not gonna know what hit him.†She said, standing up and wiping her eyes. A sudden resolve filled her and she turned to Daisy.

“The concert will go on as planned Daisy. I’m not going to let him stop me. In fact, I’m going to put in a call to the jail and see why I wasn’t notified of his release. At least then we’ll know who we’re fighting.â€

She slid her phone out of her pocket and hit a number. All the Dukes watched her as she spoke to someone on the other end of the line.

“This is Zoe Duke, yes it is that Zoe Duke. Well, that’s mighty kind of you.†She smiled at her family.

“Yes, I would like to inquire about the status of a prisoner. His name is Trevor Lawton. Has he been parolled? Oh, of course I’ll hold.â€

She waited a couple of minutes and then said “He is? Oh no, no problem, thank you kindly, much obliged.†She clicked off her phone and slid it back into her pocket.

“Well?†Luke asked. Zoe, stroked her chin.

“He’s still inside. He won’t be parolled until 2010. We’re back where we started. He can’t be the one who blew up my truck.†The brick that had been in her stomach before, returned.

Luke rubbed his hand across his mouth and thought for a moment. “Maybe not Zoe. I have an idea but first we need to get you a new set of wheels. Besides, if you’re up to it, I think Cooter would love to see you!†he said.

Zoe nodded and ran her hands through her hair. “Oh I’m up for it all right! I haven’t seen Cooter in a million years, you think he’ll remember me?â€

“Cooter remembers the milage on his first car years ago honey, of course he’ll remember you!†Daisy said confidently.