TO ALL TRUE BLUE DUKESFANS

Say what you will. The movie wouldn't be any big deal if it were something I wasn't raised on. My family was never together. When Dukes came on, be it cookin' dinner or fixin' the house, my parents and sister would drop everything to watch. When TNN dropped it years ago, we stopped that hour of family time. Now that it's back on CMT, things have fallen back into their old groove pretty quick. They're taking a major part of what shaped my childhood and screwing it up. It's like taking someone's favorite candy and changing the recipe. It could be sweeter, it could be more sour or it could just be nasty, but it isn't what they love. I'm not saying the Dukes of Hazzard movie isn't good, I'm just saying they're shattering my memories with an "All-Star" cast of idiots and a skinny man in a white suit hiding behind a beloved idol orange/red car they'll find some way to deface. Boss Hogg was old, short and fat. Burt Reynolds is as far from that as China is from New York (travelling east)

and they're Daisy is a bimbo, a hot bimbo, but a blonde, b****y gutterslut no less, no Cathy Bach in my opinion. Willie Nelson was a sure-fire idea, but one board can't cover a hole in the floor. They stripped off Dixie's name (it's true. Say what you like.), you can't have Rosco without that chuckling GHKUH of his, and don't even get me started on Stifler and Jackass as Bo and Luke or the zombie Enos! Coy and Vance were like Pearl Harbor, this movie is September 11th. They're terrorists hiding behind my beloved idol car the General Lee, who they may as well paint blue with an american flag on top and call General Grant because they've screwed everything else up. Sorrel and Denver have to be spinning in their graves about this movie. That General LEE1 is probably gonna rust from the tears of shame. This is the challenge to all Dukes fans. Will we take this sitting down? I'll burn that set down with the help of my grey Mustang, Johnny Reb, if I gotta! LET'S UNLEASH AN ORANGE SWARM AND GET US BACK OUR DIGNITY AS DUKES FANS! WHO'S WITH ME?

Okay I realize people don't live on the forums all the time, but I'm getting a little stretched thin with one of these posts every couple of weeks. I wish people would read the other posts so they can complain there. Perhaps a Sticky post for everyone who hates the cast. Then another sticky for how the movie is ruining their childhood.

I'm sorry life is rough, but your childhood and future should not be able to be ruined by a movie. Come on. Its like all of those Star Wars fans complaining that George Lucas "raped their childhood." It sounds like the Dukes are doing their job as a family show in your house. Cool.

I cut my teeth on a toy General Lee and my first crush was Daisy. I've seen them all and sat through the second reunion movie. That should have ruined any fan's memories. But I watch and I still love the dukes.

Hollywood will cast these movies to appeal to the 18 year old demographic. That's why we have this cast and it will be a fun movie. Leave it at being a fun movie and don't get bent out of shape. Ignore the movie if you want. The DVD's are great, watch them.

As far as the ORANGE SWARM, wait until you see the movie (if you choose to) and quit saying the same things the other anti-Stiffler people have been saying for the past 8 months.

Read some of the posts of the people who were on the set and see what they said. You're basing your argument on a 2 minute trailer. Just calm down and see.

Sorry if this is flamey, I had to vent too.

I,ll burn the set down

wow you know someone from WB are the movie could be reading this and take you for your word and you could be in big trouble i would watch what you say. And this is just a movie it wont change the world and Daisy a bimbo what did Bach wear back then? It sure wasn't clothes you would consinder lady like i bet you back then when the show came on there were alot of people calling Bach a bimbo. I dont know about Johnny Knoxville i never seen anything he has done but i can tell you That SWS is a good actor if he can get past thoes American pie movie. And why isn't when someone grips they it's just like Coy and Vance they missed up the show. get over it wasn't the actors fuilts the they had to act just like John and Tom if anyone blame WB. If you dont what to see it then dont see it

Okay I realize people don't live on the forums all the time, but I'm getting a little stretched thin with one of these posts every couple of weeks. I wish people would read the other posts so they can complain there. Perhaps a Sticky post for everyone who hates the cast. Then another sticky for how the movie is ruining their childhood.

I friggin' concur. Do people base their lives on an old TV show?

Kinda sad... and I've been called the biggest Dukes fan in town, but anyway...

This movie should be great fun.

Honestly, I'd like to see a movie-hater sticky instead of redundant hater threads every too often. Coming to this site has been depressing me lately - I was hoping for a more enthusiastic bunch of fans/insiders with info on a flick that I'm really interested in (and that kind of info is scant). Seems the haters outweigh the hopefuls 2-to-1, or more.

1) I can deal with the Bimbo, I guess :x

2) I never insulted the actors or reason behind Coy and Vance, I just didn't like WB trying to clone Bo and Luke into these two. They should have given Meyer and Cherry a chance at originality.

3) Johnny Reb's moniker has been repainted. Now he's Colonel Jackson (Thought it went along with General Lee better) but the "CHARGE!" horn is still there. Still same grey Mustang with dual rebel flags and a black hood.

4) The movie wouldn't be half bad if they didn't have the guy who directed "Super Troopers" in charge.

5) A skinny and tall Boss is a bad idea. Have your opinion, I'll have mine.

6) You can't have a Rosco without the GKUH! It's like a summer beach with no water!

7) Moderninzation is bad; in any movie.

8 ) Enos is not a zombie; he's a dipstick

9) Bo and Luke were reckless, but Knoxville is overkill! They'll probably open with him farting on a lighter, blowing up half of Hazzard

(town, not county)

10) Have William-Scott shave, then tell me he's alright.

Okay, 'nuff venting. I know WB wants a new audience, but look. I was born back near the turning into the '90s and they still got me, and quite a few of my friends. Unlike a building, they don't have to destroy the Dukes of Hazzard to make this blasphemy on Hazzard, Cars and Americana. The movie's okay until you see the original, but what I fear is canning Classic Dukes for a NEW Dukes series. I will agree, the reunions hurt. Espeically Boss being dead, but at least it was an update on things in Hazzard. And as for merchandising, for the movie, all they're doing is slapping Stifler, Jackass and Simpson's mugs on all the old toys and jack up the prices

(on the upside, maybe I can find a General Lee bike now! :D )

They may think they are bringing the Dukes to a new audience and yes, I agree it might be good as something new, but it's not what I know and goes against what I believe in; the purity, humor and family values of the Dukes. Sure, it was a comedy and car show, but it also was something the kids could watch too (AND DON'T SAY A THING ABOUT ONE ARMED BANDITS THROUGH HIGH OCTANE! THEY WERE BEFORE THE FAMILY ERA)

They ain't gotta have someone kicked in the nuts or set on fire to make someone laugh. What next? Flames painted on the General? And before I get any comments, cool, but no.

I'm as true blue a Dukes of Hazzard fan as anyone on this board, but you know what? I'm not knocking this movie to shreds. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it, a LOT. They may not be the original cast, and no one will ever be as good as them, but at least someone is taking the effort to put a new spin on the franchise. I'd rather see it done differently than to watch everyone try to imitate the original characters. That's WHY you're not going to see a "kee kee kee" giggling Rosco. That's WHY Boss Hogg is taller and thinner. That's WHY Daisy is blonde instead of a brunette. This is a totally new take on the Dukes. At least the General Lee still looks the same, unless you want to knit-pick about there being white lettering on the tires this time around, and to be honest I'm surprised nobody made a negative comment about even a tiny little thing like that.

Personally, I can't wait to see the General sliding around and flying high on the big screen. And it's only fitting that Burt Reynolds be involved in this film. He was mentioned no less than three times in the series, and in many ways Smokey and the Bandit inspired the feel of the show, with the whole good ol' boys vs. crooked cops and the southern car racing and CB culture, even though Moonrunners was released before that movie. I'll say again that anyone who has any complaints about the movie, I suggest you wait and see it and take it for what it is, on its own merits. Don't compare it to the series because it's NOT the series. It's not a continuation of the show or anything, it's brand new, re-creating the whole Dukes storyline in a new way. Or like some of the others have said on here, if you feel the movie is going to ruin your love of the Dukes, then DON'T go see it. But you can't get away from it entirely. After all, you know the movie will be out in theaters, and pretty soon there will be merchandise all over the place with the new cast's pictures plastered on it, then the DVD will be out, and so on and so forth. It's gonna be there, so you might as well just roll with it. I don't care what anyone says, I think the Dukes movie is going to rock the box office, and I'm going to laugh when it outgrosses Star Wars Episode III.

Well, I've said my piece. Keep it between the ditches, y'all!

-Keith

Keith

I couldn't have said it better than what you did....

From day 1 , I have looked forward to the movie. While not agreeing with the casting choices at first, I have said it will be the chemistry like the old series. If they have that chemistry, then it will be even better.

As for the Burt Reynolds/Smokey & The Bandit, I am in heaven , since Smokey & The Bandit is one of my all time favorite movies. And the Burt Reynolds references in the original series makes the role of Boss Hogg even sweeter for me. Just picture this 20-25 years ago, Burt Reynolds in the Dukes Of Hazzard, it still is like a dream for me.

I have posted this a few times before, the new movie will bring in whole new generation of DOH fans. People who weren'tlucky enough to enjoy the original series in it's prime or the reruns on TNN years ago. CMT has jumped on the bandwagon with it's support of the DOH with their showing the series again and their sponsorship of DukesFest. Personally if the movie wasn't coming out , I don't think CMT would be pushing the Dukes the way they are. To me , it is a win-win situation for all Dukes fans everywhere. We get the original series back in a great time slot 5 days a week , the DVD's of the seasons and the oopurtunity to see a new movie on the Dukes - 2005 looks to a great year for the Dukes Of Hazzard....

As for everyone knocking the movie, it has been mentioned that it should be it's own seperate sticky....IT SHOULD BE...It is getting old and I am getting tired of hearing all the b****in' and gripin' about the cast, the way the movie should be, it is not the Dukes, ETC...Enough of this crap. I just don't understand all the negative stuff from a lot of people on here lately. This is HazzardNet - the greatest and best board for the DOH anywhere. That is why I call this board my home. I am a TRUE BLUE DOH FAN till the day I die.Ya'll just got to cool down and see the movie . If you are DOH , you will be there for opening night Aug 5th. I know I will be and hopefully first in line to show my support...

Darrell

yaaaaawn....

All I gotta say is to the nay-sayers is "DON'T GO SEE THE MOVIE."

We all understand that it's not the way it was. I'm sure if we could all go back in time, snatch up the original actors and afford to pay them what big-time actors would call for, then (and maybe even only then) will some people be happy. But again, I'm sure one small thing would not be the same...and boom...more complaining. I'm in it for entertainment. Since November I've been in it for the entertainment. A few autographs and a bunch of pictures didn't hurt either...but it was fun.

If you wanna complain, then ask why Dean Jones and Buddy Hackett ain't in the new "Herbie" movie. How about the new "Honeymooners"? Weren't they white at one time? I say, SO. It's entertainment and I will go see them both. I forgot about the "Longest Yard". Not too many people complaining about that one. Hmmmm. Richard Kiel (Jaws from 007) wasn't in it. Still made millions and lots of entertainment. War of the Worlds? Bewitched? Batman, 007, Superman? Different actors? HORRORS! The chemistry will still be there, one way or another. You may have to squint real hard, but you'll still enjoy it.

In the movie industry, everything revolves around money. If WB could have afforded Danny Devito to play Boss Hogg, then it woulda happened that way. Of course he may have been TOO short for some people. Then here we go again.

I'm shutting up now. I apologize for the ramblings. The only thing else I've got to say is, my two kids are driving me nuts about the movie's starting date. They will be there on opening day. Hmmm, something must be right with the new cast.

I posted this in another forum but it bears repeating here!

Umm-no offense-but some of you people just don't get it. Just because an actor or director has played one kind of character or done one style of film does not mean they will play that character or do that style of film everytime. (Spielberg-ET, Shindler's List, Jaws, 1941)

And let's be honest-despite the stupidity of some of their more recent work both Knoxville and Scott are better actors than Wopat and Schnieder. Schnieder is good on Smallville and I love his character (my dad is that kind of upright farmer) but he is one of the weaker acting links in that show (very one dimentional) and his acting has improved since DOH.

I'll even throw in that while Cathrine Bach was a 1000 times better looking than Jessica Simpson could ever hope to be the lines Jessica delivers in the trailer are better done than any delivered by Bach on the origional show. She was the weakest actor in the origional DOH.

The only truely good acters were Soral Booke, James Best and Denver Pyle. Now if those guys (God Rest two of their sweet souls) could be cast in the movie that would be awsome but Wopat and Schnieder are not up to the challenge of the big screen. Cooter and Enos were bit parts heavily typecast so they were always good as well.

As far as the script is concerned bad writing was one of the major complaints of the origional cast. The movie script will probably be better than the origional shows. It would be hard for it not to be.

I grew up on the Dukes. I grew up on a farm with a cousin down the road. I loved the Dukes (still do). In many ways we were the Dukes. What was special about DOH was the fun, slightly irreverent, good ol' boy spirit of the show. The sun always shines in Hazzard County. Even the bad guys were your friends when it came down to it. From what I can see the cast and crew of the new film have captured that spirit and have probably improved upon a poorly written TV show in which half the actors were mediocre at best.

I realize one trailer is not much to go on but I have high hopes from what I have seen so far. I'm sure many of you will hate what I have written but these angry threads are tiresome and a little nieve.

....both Knoxville and Scott are better actors than Wopat and Schnieder.......the lines Jessica delivers in the trailer are better done than any delivered by Bach on the origional show. She was the weakest actor in the origional DOH.

The only truely good acters were Soral Booke' date=' James Best and Denver Pyle.

As far as the script is concerned bad writing was one of the major complaints of the origional cast. The movie script will probably be better than the origional shows. It would be hard for it not to be.[/quote']

Wow, I think you're way off. I think they all were great and acted like real people do. What I've seen of the film so far has them sounding/acting like Southern stereotypes rather than real people. Knoxville with his "Yawl got an ayplickeye-shun?" bleh.

While I think the main characters on the show were great actors, many of the extras, or especially the "baddies" were played by really crappy actors. This is particularly noticable in the fight sequences when they have to act "stunned" before Bo and/or Luke has to prepare for the next punch. Young John Schneider seemed to have a bit of Burt Reynolds in him, especially in his laugh. Tom Wopat always had a very natural delivery. Enos is just himself, his character is Sonny Shroyer, so there is no acting happening there, that's just him.

That all being said, you hit the nail on the head about the best of the best. Rosco, Boss, and Uncle Jesse defined the show. The comedy between Boss and Rosco is a show in itself. Now maybe that's why the rest of the cast looks bad, because those three are/were some refined, very experienced actors that would rival anything in Hollywood.

....I'm sure many of you will hate what I have written but these angry threads are tiresome and a little nieve.

Well, bear in mind that we are all fans. Look at what Daimler-Chrysler did to the Charger name. We've got a good reason to think that the suits in charge of a studio would make similar tragic mistakes in the name of "updating" a classic. The casting for the film was a disappointment, but more and more diehards are coming to accept it and hope for something tolerable. I'm personally disappointed, but I expect the movie to be a fun, albeit a tad distasteful, two hours of chase scenes and stuff building up to it. If they had gotten everything right, except used a different car, that would have been a worse tragedy. It went from "Oh, YES! Finally a Dukes movie," to "Well, that General Lee still is cool."

Personally, I'm glad people are sharing their opinions. To expect them to stop because you complain about their complaining is also naive. Not to mention a bit hypocritical, but I'm still interested to see what people are thinking about the movie.

As far as the acting on the original Dukes, I blame any less-than-good stuff on the writing, not the actors. They were merely doing things the way it was laid out for them. If you recall, Tom Wopat and John Schneider have mentioned numerous times in interviews that the writing was terrible, and it got worse the further along the series went. They hated it themselves, and they were the stars! The writers scripted the shows the way THEY perceived southerners to be, and the actors had to comply with that as much as possible if they wanted to keep the show (and their careers) going. Besides, it was supposed to be kinda corny at times. This was the Dukes of Hazzard; they weren't re-doing Shakespeare's plays, you know what I mean? And that's what made it fun. That's what Dukes is all about: FUN. I think the trouble with some fans lately is that they've been so busy complaining that they've lost sight of what made them enjoy the Dukes in the first place. Is it so hard to get back to that?

Opinions are great, that's one of the things that makes this world diverse. But there's a fine line between honest opinion and outright bashing. And as long as we're on the subject of opinions, here's one of mine: I think those who want to trash a movie they haven't even seen yet, or want to bash anything concerning the Dukes, should go start their own forum somewhere else and leave this one for the objective fans with open minds.

Someone mentioned the upcoming Herbie movie, and that's another great example. As a kid, I loved the Herbie films. The Love Bug was the first movie I ever saw (on video of course since it was way before my time). Now there are a LOT of changes in this new movie, but I'm still going to go see it because it reminds me of my childhood and will undoubtedly bring a smile to my face. So what if Herbie's '53' looks a little different, and the stripes don't go over the sunroof, and Herbie has visors on his headlights? What made those movies work was not how Herbie looked, but his "personality." As long as that stays intact, the new movie will work too.

So anyway, I'm through rambling again. I'll step down off my soapbox for now, although I'm sure something will get me started again somewhere down the line LOL Let's just enjoy the Dukes, OK? I'm down and I'm gone.

-Keith

Just becuase the new cast isnt the most populor or logical does not mean they will be a disapointment. After reading an article witch compares movie remakes of the summer to the originals..... well its clear that producers capture the original concept and toss out the rest. Dean Jones was replaced by Linsy Lohan in the Herbie move.

Shure there is always room for improvment Most fans think Burt

should have played a differnt role. I havent heard any ney sayers as far as Devito as Boss . I don't think he is any more expensive than Burt or Jessica. For whatever reason the supertroopers director has an obsession with the idea of Burt Renolds as Boss Hogg. As a B.S. excuse he claimes people don't want see an short / fat actor that could be beat up as Boss Hogg. I disagree with that theory. The original Boss and Rosco Where hillarius

fans couldn't get enough of them

Opinions are great, that's one of the things that makes this world diverse. But there's a fine line between honest opinion and outright bashing. And as long as we're on the subject of opinions, here's one of mine: I think those who want to trash a movie they haven't even seen yet, or want to bash anything concerning the Dukes, should go start their own forum somewhere else and leave this one for the objective fans with open minds.

Nobody needs to start their own forum someplace else, just 'cause they don't agree with the majority. ( whatever the majority happens to be.) And look at the bright side; we only got about 2 more months of movie anticipation before it hits theaters. Afterwards, people can get even more specific about what they can't stand. Or , they can get specific about why the movie is the best thing that ever happened to them. We ain't seen nothin' yet....literally!

Brian

Font color: Jeez. For every "I hate the movie" post, there are two "I hate people who hate the movie" posts! Well to start this...

So? They could have casted Burt Reynolds in a cameo. No need to give him Boss Hogg! Look, I can think of a couple hundred people for that role. Hell, my Gramps could do a good job. Put him in a white suite, he looks exactly like Sorrel Brooke did as Boss, with darker hair, but he can dye it! Now as for the Dukes, I don't care if Jessica Simpson wants to break into the movie biz, do another movie! As for Williams-Scott, since I can't call him Stifler anymore :evil:, if he shaved, he'd be decent. Knoxville is a lousy actor. He may be famous for being reckless but that's set-yourself-on-fire-in-a-dynamite-shack stupid, not evade the law and have a good time reckless. Having a rebel-flag helmet won't cut it, especially if your southern accent is Foxworthy-esque stereotypical! Now the guy they have playing Enos looks like a zombie, say what you will, he does! Rosco HAS TO have the chuckle, otherwise he seems like a faggy asshole. They could have taken time to cast instead of calling MTV to see what they had laying around! Jeez. Go ahead. Hate on me. I've said my peace. If they got the confidence this cast will work, use a modern charger. With the REAL General Lee gone, everyone will know the movie sucks. I know everyone wants to see the General on the big screen Well, play a Dukesfest General Lee Parade on a theatre screen! I can record my cousin's General replica outrunning my car Johnny Reb (yes, I am debating on the name), hows that?

:x Kay. 'Nuff lunacy.

Well, that said, the movie's gonna be okay, but it WILL break a few things I hold as law in Hazzard. The show was set up so that people would laugh and enjoy it without someone getting kicked in the nuts or set on fire as to say "Okay, laugh now!" and thanks for pointing out the white lettering on the new General. Hollywood sucks. They oughta make the cast and script pass a 100 fan poll before they do anything so everyone's represented.Now please, understand. I don't care if they want to attract new fans. They attracted a lot of my buddies, aged 10-19 on the old series, and I'm only 15. I don't know where you're from where people can't enjoy this. The new movie will suck. Old fans will hate the movie and new fans will hate the show. Why? They aren't the same thing. The only thing the two have in common is General Lee. If the series were like the movie, we wouldn't have Dukesfest. We wouldn't have Hazzardnet. We wouldn't have that part of the song "1970 something" where he mentions Daisy Duke (running outta references...). So understand; the Dukes was clean humor and family values. Neither of which will be in this lousy movie! So have your opinion, I'll have mine. Vent your frustrations.

How many people seen the "The Beverly Hillbillies" movie when it came out in 1993. I know I did I enjoy it because the guy playing Jehtro was just as crazy as him, and it probaly had some doubting Tom's out there. But the cast they put together was funny and when they got the extended family together on the airplane that was even funnier. I Loved when they sent a invite to President Clinton. Well enough of this my point now , well it is a new movie of the Dukes so everything is new and there will be things that we won't like about somethings we wll like about as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling like a nimrod. Just saw a commercial. Looks okay, but the 01 on the General's side in that one jump looks like they yanked the 1 off of Thomas the Tank Engine and recolored it. Odd. Still say Knoxville and, the other guy, don't belong as the Duke boys. Reynolds does a good Boss, but he could at least put on a little weight. He looks more like Hughie Hogg than J.D. Hogg. And I still hate how they apologize for the paint job.

Feeling like a nimrod. Just saw a commercial. Looks okay, but the 01 on the General's side in that one jump looks like they yanked the 1 off of Thomas the Tank Engine and recolored it. Odd. Still say Knoxville and, the other guy, don't belong as the Duke boys. Reynolds does a good Boss, but he could at least put on a little weight. He looks more like Hughie Hogg than J.D. Hogg. And I still hate how they apologize for the paint job.