Coy and Vance

I'm a little bit surprised that the writers didn't specify where Bessie and Elbert lived but I guess it didn't really matter.

After Coy and Vance left I was pretty happy. Not because they were gone, but because Bo and Luke were back. Seeing them pop into the Boar's Nest and pull those helmets off was one of the best scenes the series ever produced.

Looking back though, I appreciate Coy and Vance for filling in even though they were never too popular with the majority of fans. The way I saw it at the time, "The Dukes of Hazzard" with Coy and Vance was better than no Dukes at all. The rest of the cast was so awesome, they held the show up pretty well.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once again agree with you Roger. I wish I could sum it all up as you seem to do so easily. ;) I am not a big Coy and Vance fan, but WB had to do something without Tom and John there and as you said, Roger, it was way better having them there than not having no Dukes to watch at all. Well I guess I can imagine since I was only five when the show ended - though I do remember watching the Dukes and liking the show, as odd as that sounds. LOL.

Anyways, Daisy and Jesse and all the other characters carried the weight well to make the show pull through the season without Bo and Luke. I haven't seen that ep in a LONG time, but it was awesome seeing Bo and Luke taking off the helmets and the welcome that they had received on the show.

Also, I think Coy and Vance had some pretty good and original story/plot lines. Different than the ones with Bo and Luke. Bo and Luke had good plot/story lines, but of the episodes I remember with Coy and Vance, they had some really good and different plot/story lines behind the shows that they were in. I am sure that helped as well throughout the time Bo and Luke was gone.

I liked what you said about the writing and plots of the Coy and Vance episodes Garrett. In addition to what I said about the other actors holding the show up during season 5, I should have included the writers.

I wonder if some of those were plots were created before the writers knew that Bo and Luke wouldn't be there. I guess it wouldn't have been too tough to adjust the scripts to different Duke boys. (Bear in mind that I'm just speculating here and have no idea if that's the case)

Another thing that made season 5 enjoyable is Enos coming home from California.....although I did miss his adventures in the big city.....what I wouldn't give for those episodes on DVD!! Grits and greens strike again!!!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm watching season 5 now, and was going to put my 2 cents in, but it looks like it's all been said. I have to say I'm on the side of Roger (et al) - Coy and Vance did what they had to do. I'm about half way through their run, and after I'd got used to them, and they'd settled in, I found no problem enjoying their episodes (same happens each time I watch season 5). Now don't get me wrong - I'm still looking forward to Bo and Luke's return, but the ones I'm watching are alright. They are part of the show, love 'em or loathe 'em, they always will be.

What I will say is what a well mannered, polite debate this has been. Coy and Vance really polarise opinion like nothing else on DoH, and I didn't see a cross word or insult traded - well done everyone, it's good to see people on the internet who can accept that someone else can hold an opposing viewpoint without resorting to swearing and personal jibes.

Don't know how many of you have seen it, but I found this video of Coy failing to get into the General (apparently during an audition) on YouTube.

Do you watch the episodes in order like I do?

I really don't like skipping around for some reason but I will go to a particular episode on occasion (like Christmas) but in general I enjoy watching them in chronological order. I'm in the middle of season 2 now. This is my fourth time around since December 2006 when season 7 came out on DVD. I generally watch all 7 seasons every year but it doesn't look like I'll get done with season 7 by New Year's eve this year!

Do you watch the episodes in order like I do?

I do watch them in order - it wouldn't feel right otherwise. The only exception I make is watching bits of episodes to double-check trivia.

This is only my second time through my DVDs (7 seasons + reunion films), and I only started this time because they were showing the 2005 film on TV a couple of months back. I've seen it once before, but this time I got ten minutes into it before deciding enough was enough and dug out season 1. At the time I had only just finished watching my 11 season box set of MASH for the second time.

I think Uncle Jesse would like the doctors in MASH. They might enjoy the company of the nurses, but then Bo and Luke like the ladies. Aside from that they brew their own alcohol (gin not 'shine), have a strong view of right and wrong and fight injustice and discrimination when they see it. They also have strong family bonds, whether it be Hawkeye with his father, or BJ with his wife and daughter etc. etc..

Initially when I read your post I thought you meant Gerry Anderson's 60s series Stingray (the same guy that did Joe 90 and Thunderbirds etc.). Then I checked IMDb and assume you mean the 80s Stephen J. Cannell show which I don't remember making it to the UK (we had a lot of American shows in the 80s). I watched Dallas avidly for one of the middle seasons, then strangely igonored it afterwards. Saw some of Charlie's Angels. The A-team is another show I think I watched all of, although I only have season 2 on DVD, and I wasn't keen on the last season when they were working for the government. Believe it or not the A-Team movie only opens here this Friday (only 2 months after you!) - did you get a chance to see it?. I'm hoping to watch it this weekend sometime.

@Roger

Back on MASH - as well as Sorrell Booke appearing twice in the first season (see picture in the Sorrell/Boss section), Rick Hurst also appeared twice, once in season 6, and once in season 7. I'll have a look through his section later and post some pics if no-one else has.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...