Why are people so hard on Coy and Vance?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I have to admit that I don't hate Coy and Vance. Can't hardly, since I first met Hazzard with them. True they aren't "the boys", but they're not all that bad -
Coy especially seemed like he had potential as a character
. Someone else also pointed out good plotlines and how much fun the local law were in season 5. Pretty much whatever else I was going to say, DukesFan said. <shrug> So go read her post.

That aside though... as honestly put off by those two "scruffy troublemakers" as I at first was when I saw Luke and Bo <chuckling at myself>, I've grown to know them both *very* well, and love them as the people they are. Yes, I prefer them... Still, I'll buy season 5.

And as for seasons 6 and 7... don't knock 'em. Honestly I think those two seasons had some of the best episodes in the series. Not every one was a gem, true, but there were also some very interesting stories that looked deeper into the characters of the Dukes and their friends, in various ways. Some of the most serious drama in the series could be found here, in my opinion. I love all the seasons mostly... but 6 and 7 do have a special place for me, perhaps partly because as a writer I honestly eat up personal details and interactions such as were shown there. <slight smile>

With that little box that encloses the quote i want...coy did have potential and vance...well we know all about him

I have to admit that I don't hate Coy and Vance. Can't hardly, since I first met Hazzard with them. True they aren't "the boys", but they're not all that bad -
Coy especially seemed like he had potential as a character
. Someone else also pointed out good plotlines and how much fun the local law were in season 5. Pretty much whatever else I was going to say, DukesFan said. <shrug> So go read her post.

That aside though... as honestly put off by those two "scruffy troublemakers" as I at first was when I saw Luke and Bo <chuckling at myself>, I've grown to know them both *very* well, and love them as the people they are. Yes, I prefer them... Still, I'll buy season 5.

And as for seasons 6 and 7... don't knock 'em. Honestly I think those two seasons had some of the best episodes in the series. Not every one was a gem, true, but there were also some very interesting stories that looked deeper into the characters of the Dukes and their friends, in various ways. Some of the most serious drama in the series could be found here, in my opinion. I love all the seasons mostly... but 6 and 7 do have a special place for me, perhaps partly because as a writer I honestly eat up personal details and interactions such as were shown there. <slight smile>

With that little box that encloses the quote i want...coy did have potential and vance...well we know all about him

• 3 weeks later...

No offense to the actors who played Coy and Vance, but it was not the same. I wont even watch the episodes they are in. I have tried I swear, but its like watching two men trying to be two other men. Completely copying them and not doing a good job at it. I mean alot of you posters are right, it was not thier fault at all, they were just doing what they were told. All I can say is Thank God they came back. I wish the show would have gone on for a few more seasons too, but the studios wanted to do stuff with miniatures and alot of hooey and it started to go down hill. Im so glad we have what we do though, its great!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think its a simple fact of this: Its not that we didnt like Coy and Vance, its the fact that nobody could really replace Bo and Luke, No matter what! They started the show, and it only seemed right they stayed until the end of the seventh season. The fact that they walked off and were replaced, only meant that the actors replacing Bo and Luke really could never replace them at all, and thats where they went wrong. So inspite of their acting, it wasnt the same, and Ratings went down when Coy and Vance walked on, because nobody wanted to watch them, only because it wasnt really 'The dukes oh hazzard" anymore, it was an attempted to make the best of a bad situation. But WE're glad they came back, and the Dukes Of Hazzard was once again the same.

• 3 months later...

For me, it comes down to loving the characters and actors too much to see them replaced. I have nothing against Coy and Vance. In my opinion, it should have been done it differently. Not tried to have Chris and Byron imitating Tom and John. If the producers had let Chris and Byron make Coy and Vance their own, then things might have been better and people would have enjoyed the fifth season better.