What's sets General Lee apart from a 69 Charger?

Acooljt

I mean, there are the obvious stuff like the 01 and General Lee and confederate flag and everything, but could someone please list out for me everything that sets General Lee apart from a plain jane 69 Charger? I plan on building one after I finish my current project(67 Mustang). I love building cars and it only makes sense that I build a General Lee since I love the show and car so much. So please give me any and all specs you guys have so I can make it as accurate as possible. And if at all possible, let me know where I can get some of the rarer parts(like the wheels, etc.). Also, if you've got any other websites I can go to for help, I'd be welcome to links. Thanks for your time ya'll.

That's a really broad question and it depends on a couple of things. How accurate do you want to get and which General Lee exactly do you want to replicate? At least a couple of people have built insanely accurate General Lee replicas based on two different General Lees; namely Bill Packett and Gary 'Bubba' Williams. Bill Packet had access to Wayne Wooten's General Lee, which was an original (one of two) closeup unit car on the show from the '82 to '85 season. He duplicated everything, from the tires (not only the same make/model/size tires, but correctly date coded as well), the chromavision tested paint color which turned out to be no known standard factory color, the paint overspray, the correct plug wires, hose clamps (even replicated the position of the hose clamps), matched interior paint color, etc. A true clone down to the finest details.

Bubba Williams did a similar thing but based his car on Lee #1 from the pilot episode. He didn't have the actual car to go by since it is in rough shape these days, though he was able to correct some minor details on his car once the original Lee #1 in its current state was found recently. You can see a short article and some pictures of his car here.

So a good place for you to start would be to find out as much as you can about those two guys' cars, since they have already been through what you are contemplating and represent the best of the best in terms of General Lee clones out there.

Some general details common to a "typical" General Lee from the series would go something like this:

Year/Make/Model - 1969 Dodge Charger with 383 2v and 727 Torque-Flite automatic transmission.

Paint color - Chrysler Street Hemi Orange on the early cars, a custom blend formulated to reduce sheen for the benefit of the camera on the later cars, a bit lighter in color than Street hemi Orange.

Wheels - 14" x 7" American Racing 10-fin Vectors. Visually identical Shelby 14" x 7" 10-fin Vectors were also used interchangeably which are specifically what is on Bubba's car while Packett's car has the American Racing ones. In fact, Bubba got the Shelby rims from Bill Packet, and Packett got his American Racing rims from Bubba, lol:

"CGLFC: How about your Shelby Rims? Anything cool to tell about them?

Gary 'Bubba' Williams: The rims on the car are accurate to the first season Generals. (Odd fact is they were on a car-trailer when I purchased them! ) Bill Packett's, to be exact. I traded the ones on my car, which were exactly like the ones on his other replica General Lee, and so finally had 'the' rims I needed. THANKS BILL !"

Tires - Usually used the tires that came stock on big block Chargers when new, though turned so that the blackwall side was showing. This size specifically is F70 x 14 and was a common factory issue "muscle car" tire size in the 60's and 70's. They don't use that sizing standard anymore, though if I remember right it is roughly equivalent to a P195 today. Bill Packett's car has somewhat more beefy BF Goodrich Radial T/A's in size P235/70/R14, as that is exactly what was on Wayne Wooten's original untouched car.

Decals - Check out this site for decals. Those are all supposed to be in accordance with measurements taken from a real General Lee, though there were some minor variances depending on which General Lee you want to replicate. Only speaking for Packett's car, which may or may not hold true for other general Lees, the numbers and the flag are painted on, while the "General Lee" text = decals.

The push bumper and rollcage mockup (made from 2" exhaust tubing like most of the original cars, though Lee #1 had a genuine full rollcage, reflected by Bubba's replica) can be found at the same site that has the decals.

The correct Dixie horn can be purchased from J.C. Whitney (though only the closeup unit cars really had the horn installed).

That is a place for you to start anyway.

Thanks, for the reply. I don't want to get so anal as to getting the same clamp positions. I do however want to get the following:

-Wheel size

-Tire Size

-Wheel make

-Size and color of all decals

-Color of base paint(the orange)

-Interior color

-If it had any options(like if it had any options from the factor, like a floor console which it did have that)

-Size of roll cage tubing

-The shape of the roll cage(like where the points of contact are at the frame)

-Where I can get the push bar on the front or at least the dimensions and what size materials were used so that I can fabricate one

-And then just simply anything they might have taken off the car from the factory

-Oh yeah, and where the CB was mounted, and where the microphone was mounted for it

As far as engine/drivetrain and stuff like that, I'm gonna do my own thing and put in a 440 with a Torqueflite 707 which was the tranny used on the General.

Also, I looked at the Buildagenerallee.com's roll bar kit, and I know it's missing at least 1 bar and they still claim it is exact. I don't remember which episode, but one of the episodes in season 1, you can see that there is a bar that goes over the driver's door that branches off of the roll bar that goes over the roof(the one that you see in the car). So this really makes me question how "exact" everything else is that they sell.

*Lastly, I noticed you can get the horn from JC Whitney, but it says it's only an 11-note horn where as the General had a 12 note. So what should I do?

Thanks, for the reply. I don't want to get so anal as to getting the same clamp positions. I do however want to get the following:

-Wheel size

-Tire Size

-Wheel make

I already answered those, see my post above.

Size and color of all decals

There are several sites that tell you the size and position of the decals. The easiest thing to do is order the decals from the site I linked to.

-Color of base paint(the orange)

See my post above where I discussed the color of the paint.

-Interior color
Anywhere from the factory mopar color of Saddle Tan to a very light off-white that was custom mixed by the crew that build the General Lees. Keep in mind that there were hundreds of General Lees used on the series and they were not all identical. There was even at least one with a black interior I believe.
If it had any options(like if it had any options from the factor, like a floor console which it did have that)

Most of them shown had the floor shifter with a console. Once again, there were hundreds of cars and no doubt more combinations of options among them than you could shake a stick at. The car that Bill Packett replicated had A/C and an automatic shifter on the floor with console and a 383 2v.

Size of roll cage tubing

I already mentioned this. 2" OD exhaust tubing for most of them (for show only, not real rollcages) and yes, that one they sell on the site I linked to is an exact replica of the ones that were most commonly seen. The one you saw in an early episode wasn't typical. If you want to put in a genuine full 'cage like Lee #1 had, I would suggest trying to contact Gary 'Bubba' Williams for information.

Where I can get the push bar on the front or at least the dimensions and what size materials were used so that I can fabricate one

That site that has the rollbar and the decals also sells push bumpers:

"Our push bars are made using exact measurements from a real General Lee. They come ready to be painted."

-And then just simply anything they might have taken off the car from the factory
For closeup unit cars, they usually removed any emblems showing the name of the car and they usually removed the radio and covered it with a radio-delete plate. They also replaced the ignition lock with one that would accept any Chrysler key to start it for convenience-sake and they rigged up a button that would open the trunk from inside the car. Bill Packett's car has all of those little details.
-Oh yeah, and where the CB was mounted, and where the microphone was mounted for it

I don't know. I have seen details about the CB and the antenna on several websites so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find out.

As far as engine/drivetrain and stuff like that, I'm gonna do my own thing and put in a 440 with a Torqueflite 707 which was the tranny used on the General.
No such thing as a "707" Torque-Flite. The big block General Lees that were automatics all had 727 Torque-Flites, the same as all big block automatic Chargers had straight from the factory.
*Lastly, I noticed you can get the horn from JC Whitney, but it says it's only an 11-note horn where as the General had a 12 note. So what should I do?
Last I knew, J.C. Whitney had both a 12 note horn and an 11 note horn and then they started shipping the 12 note horn no matter whether you ordered the 11 note or the 12 note. Give them a call first to be sure. It is well known that the actual horn used on the original General Lee was bought off a kid who had bought it from J.C. Whitney; and they still sell the same horn.

I mean, there are the obvious stuff like the 01 and General Lee and confederate flag and everything, but could someone please list out for me everything that sets General Lee apart from a plain jane 69 Charger? I plan on building one after I finish my current project(67 Mustang). I love building cars and it only makes sense that I build a General Lee since I love the show and car so much. So please give me any and all specs you guys have so I can make it as accurate as possible. And if at all possible, let me know where I can get some of the rarer parts(like the wheels, etc.). Also, if you've got any other websites I can go to for help, I'd be welcome to links. Thanks for your time ya'll.

Acooljt -Welcome to Hazzardnet.......

Check out the North American Genreal Lee Fan Club for any info on the General Lee. They have a message board and links to building a General Lee.......Hope that will help ya some..

Later

Darrell

Thank ya'll for the help. I actually found several helpful websites in the downtime waiting for your replies, namely Hazzard Retreat was a huge help. I still gotta figure out how the pushbar mounts and since there are no camera shots of under the car close enough to see how it mounts, I may have to fabricate something.

I went through 20 pages of search results and never did find any details as to where the CB was mounted.

Also, I'm wondering which pushbar BuildaGeneralLee.com sells. If you go to Hazzard Retreat and click the "Build a General Lee" link, scroll down and you'll notice that 2 different pushbars were used, a thin one in the early seasons and a wider ones in the later seasons. Well seeing as the early seasons were when the General Lee originated, that's what I am replicating. So I want the thinner one. I could fabricate ones of my own because it looks that the round-tubing is only about 2-feet wide and probably 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" tubing but the problem is that I don't know the exact size/shape of the 2 pieces of flat steel(parallel to the car itself) that connect the round tubing together.

The one that site sells is the wide one used in the later shows. I prefer the look of the narrow one from the first couple of seasons myself, but the wide one is easier to mount I guess, as it is supposed to be the right width to line up with some natural mounting points on 2nd generation Chargers.

Well I have no problem fabrication mounts for the narrower bar, but now I've gotta figure a way to fabricate those 2 flat steel plates on the outside of the pushbar and I don't have any templates or measurements to go off of. :( I as well, prefer the look of the thinner one. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the wider one uses the same exact plates, so I guess I could e-mail the company but I really doubt they'd give me the measurements or template or anything. Or even send me a paper cut-out of it. Most businesses who make custom things like that only want people to buy their stuff and don't want to let their "secrets" out. Sypply and demand. They got it, and I want it. :x :evil:

Any ideas on the CB location?

I seem to remember a couple of times seeing shots with them adjusting the CB wires. I think it was mounted under the dash between the two seats. When season 3 comes out, one episode to watch would be The Great Hazzard Hijack because Luke's friend cuts the CB wire.

Well I did e-mail Bob Smith a few days ago, and no response as of now. Like I said, they don't like to deal with the little people, they want me to have them do it so they can make some money. It really makes me mad too. Ya know, my dad runs a business that I've worked at for years and we're always willing to help someone and not charge them if all it involves is giving them some information or whatever, nothing too technical. Nowadays, it's all about money to people, makes me sick. Whatever happened to "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

And the b*tch of it is, they've got me by the balls. Cause they've got what I want, so if I truly want it, they're gonna make me cough up some kind of money for it.

So could anyone tell me the tire size on the General? Only tellin me the 195 isn't much as there is still one number to go(as tires sizes are listed 195/XX 14 in this case).

I already told you two known tire sizes for the General Lee in my initial reply to you; F70 x 14 which I actually have a screen shot of from the show (that size was factory standard on Charger R/T 440 cars) and P235/70/R14 BF Goodrich Radial T/A (which is a discontinued size for that make and model of tire) which was on the two '82 - '85 closup unit cars, one of which was cloned by Bill Packett. This is where I typed it in my original reply:

"Tires - Usually used the tires that came stock on big block Chargers when new, though turned so that the blackwall side was showing. This size specifically is F70 x 14 and was a common factory issue "muscle car" tire size in the 60's and 70's. They don't use that sizing standard anymore, though if I remember right it is roughly equivalent to a P195 today. Bill Packett's car has somewhat more beefy BF Goodrich Radial T/A's in size P235/70/R14, as that is exactly what was on Wayne Wooten's original untouched car."

I know, but you also said those were more beefy. I'm lookin for the size used on the early cars. They look plenty beefy to me.

They are more "beefy" compared to F70-14's; but were the size used on the closup unit cars for the majority of the show (the last 4 seasons). The General Lee wasn't as "set in stone" in the earlier shows as it was later on when they stuck with the same two identical cars for all non-stunt shots.

In the earlier shows, they most likely used whatever was on the car when they acquired it. I have a couple of closeup tire shots from the show in the first and second seasons and they are not always the same tires. The one closeup shot of the tire where you can see the size, that I have from one of the first season episodes is clearly marked F70-14, which was a common muscle car tire size and standard issue on a lot of 2nd generation Chargers when new; specifically they came with Goodyear Polyglas "Redline" tires ('68 and '69; raised white letter Polyglas in '70); which would have been reversed to show the blackwall side for all General Lees. Goodyear has reissued the original Polyglas tires with the original outdated sizes (such as F70-14) recently; they may still be making them. I don't think you will like the ride compared to modern steel-belted radials though. I have another closeup shot of a General Lee tire that says "Summit" on the side but the size isn't visible. The tread pattern is completely different than the tire that says F70-14 in a different shot.