Dukes Family Tree?

sam29

Luke's brother shows up in an episode titled "Brotherly Love". It's not the best episode, but there are some good moments. One of the funiest Boss and Rosco scenes is in this ep.

The thing is that after Jud leaves the farm at the end of the ep, Luke's brother is never mentioned again. That seems to happen with a lot of the "extended" family characters on the show - like Hortense (Lulu's sister who shows up in "The Return of Hughie Hogg"...it's never even mentioned that she's Rosco's sister too, in fact, Rosco doesn't hardly act like he knows her in the ep...)

Oh well - I don't think anyone watches the Dukes for continuity anyway...unless it's the continuity of car chases....

LS3

Uncle Jesse had a wife named Lavinia, I believe.

Gy Waldron said in an interview once that the parents of Bo, Luke, and Daisy were all killed in the same car accident and Jesse adopted them and raised them.

Assuming that all the cousins were first cousins, then Jesse had at least five brothers, which isn't that unusual actually.

Actually, Jesse would have had at least 6 brothers. We're forgetting about one cousin: Jeb Stuart Duke, who appeared in the episode "Along Came a Duke."

As for Jesse's marriage, I think he was actually married twice. In episodes like "Follow That Still," it's mentioned that his "misses passed on." But in "Return of the Ridge Raiders," Jesse mentions Aunt Lavinia, and Luke says to Bo that "Uncle Jesse ain't spoke to Aunt Lavinia in 20 years," which would mean Lavinia was his second wife because she was still living, and he obviously divorced her because they weren't on speaking terms anymore. This could have merely been a continuity error of course, but this is the explanation I've come up with.

-Keith

As for Jesse's marriage, I think he was actually married twice. In episodes like "Follow That Still," it's mentioned that his "misses passed on." But in "Return of the Ridge Raiders," Jesse mentions Aunt Lavinia, and Luke says to Bo that "Uncle Jesse ain't spoke to Aunt Lavinia in 20 years," which would mean Lavinia was his second wife because she was still living, and he obviously divorced her because they weren't on speaking terms anymore. This could have merely been a continuity error of course, but this is the explanation I've come up with.

-Keith

Or that she was his sister or sister-in-law.

I have the idea that the writers don't even know. Instead of doing background character development, they depended on the car chases. Not a judgement call, but they seemed to write new family into place whenever they needed a place to go when they were losing the farm or need a replacement cousin. I think the writers played on the large southern family too much.

Now if they did do character development to the point they should have, I wonder if the family tree forks. Daisy made that joke in the first episode which makes ya wonder.